Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

For our temps here this time of the year the rear insert is too firm. (track temps 65-90f)
With insert, tire surface is smooth and shiny, without insert has nice wear pattern across entire surface.
2 laps to warm with no additive or heat.
immediately fast with buggy grip, or warmers.

Type B foams take 2 laps to come up to temp with no additive or heat.

I have tried the Shimizu tires, Med front, Soft rear, they are not so good here, too much sidewall flex with stock insert on rear tire.
Fronts are good, but not balanced together as a set like Tamiya tires.

Compared to Foams the Rubber tire has a lot of rear grip with more responsive steering, and the cars just look really cool with them
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by krat
zpmhinojosa, i dont have F60.. i want to.. but dont have more budget for F1.. btw.. that black F60 is nice..
i've seen Shimizu and Ride rubber for F103, and its compound is totally different to the Tamiya rubber.. it is soft and stick to the plastic bag.. no wonder they would perform very well on the track..
but Tamiya rubber is hard and does not stick. therefore I'm asking to you guys how it performs on asphalt..
is there Shimizu for F104?

RedBullFiXX, thanks for the info.. i'm running on a very hot track so from your explanation I think F60 rubber will be good..

the funny thing is that my lhs sell the rubber but not the wheel
have to order it..
Yes, R/C mart has 104 rubber shoes all day, along w/ rims. And they perform awsome. See photo-page 128- those are Shimizu, on my Pro.

Last edited by zpmhinojosa; 01-17-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Well fellas, I guess we could give good advice all day long, but it just boils down to track temp, humdity, time of day, and where you live. I guess I got to get one of those set-up sheets, and start logging all info. It almost seems too much. When I win the Cali lotto, I'll just hire someone full time to do all that tech stuff. LOL.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa
O.K. all you 104ers, here's a question. as anybody installed one of these hop-up servo mount in there Pro? I've been staring @ it for 5 min, and honestly I'm trying to aviod taking it off my 103 and installing it on my Pro, hoping someone will chime in with a solution! It's very time consuming when I attempt such a project and fail...
Attachment 542405
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
For our temps here this time of the year the rear insert is too firm. (track temps 65-90f)
With insert, tire surface is smooth and shiny, without insert has nice wear pattern across entire surface.
2 laps to warm with no additive or heat.
immediately fast with buggy grip, or warmers.
thanks for the information...very useful
Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)
Default F104 body with 2009 spec Front and Rear wing

So i didn't like how my paint job came out on the F60 body. To embarrassed to even post a picture of it. SO i decided to modify the front wing so that I can use it with the F104 body. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here's a video of an F104 vs F103 battle in the A-main at the R/C Madness January Jam. I'm driving the green/orange F104, and Alex Valdes is driving the yellow F103. Neither of us had much time to work on setups, but the handling difference was evident. Alex hunted me down through the infield with ease, slicing his way through traffic like a cheetah on an attack run. Makes me very glad that TCS has a seperate rubber tire class for the F104s!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

If anyone is having traction rolling issues on carpet, my quick and dirty solution was simply gluing the edge of the sidewall with super glue. Most of the F104s at this race were traction rolling because our tires were too big and the groove was superb. It was great to see a full A and B main of F1s! Lots of cool paint jobs and wheel to wheel racing up there at R/C Madness.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

skyline....great job. What exactly did you do to modify the front wing to use it with the pro body as the F60 is a bit longer.

I really like my f60 so don't want to use it to race, but I like what you have done. Where did you get the barcode sticker from.

Last edited by aussierevo; 01-18-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Mixing and matching

I think it looks fine, S. What was so bad about your F60 job?

Originally Posted by skyline1015
So i didn't like how my paint job came out on the F60 body. To embarrassed to even post a picture of it. SO i decided to modify the front wing so that I can use it with the F104 body. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Very nice video. Thanks for posting
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default F60 wing on Pro frame...

Originally Posted by aussierevo
skyline....great job. What exactly did you do to modify the front wing to use it with the pro body as the F60 is a bit longer.

I really like my f60 so don't want to use it to race, but I like what you have done. Where did you get the stickers from.
I think I can answer this one. I didn't do anything to my Pro to make my F60 fit. No mods needed! Observe.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

i forgot how long I let the body sit after the last coat of paint was applied. So when I backed the paint with silver, it went through and so you see silver throughout the body. No worries though, I have another F60 on the way. I got the bar code sticker from the sticker set from http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/inde...roducts_id=420

Originally Posted by aussierevo

I really like my f60 so don't want to use it to race, but I like what you have done. Where did you get the barcode sticker from.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Here's a video of an F104 vs F103 battle in the A-main at the R/C Madness January Jam. I'm driving the green/orange F104, and Alex Valdes is driving the yellow F103. Neither of us had much time to work on setups, but the handling difference was evident. Alex hunted me down through the infield with ease, slicing his way through traffic like a cheetah on an attack run. Makes me very glad that TCS has a seperate rubber tire class for the F104s!

If anyone is having traction rolling issues on carpet, my quick and dirty solution was simply gluing the edge of the sidewall with super glue. Most of the F104s at this race were traction rolling because our tires were too big and the groove was superb. It was great to see a full A and B main of F1s! Lots of cool paint jobs and wheel to wheel racing up there at R/C Madness.
54mm front, 59mm rear, ride height 3.5mm.
No traction rolls on the uber sticky WCRC track this weekend.
I would also suggest the Tamiya offset front axles.
Hi-Bite tracks are where the F-104 really shines.
you simply need to work with the setup a bit. Out of the box setup is not perfect for every situation.

There is a perfect tire for every condition for the venerable F-103.
Given time the F-104 will close the gap, I'm sure of it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
54mm front, 59mm rear, ride height 3.5mm.
No traction rolls on the uber sticky WCRC track this weekend.
I would also suggest the Tamiya offset front axles.
Hi-Bite tracks are where the F-104 really shines.
you simply need to work with the setup a bit. Out of the box setup is not perfect for every situation.

There is a perfect tire for every condition for the venerable F-103.
Given time the F-104 will close the gap, I'm sure of it.
Yeah, but the wrinkle wall drag slicks that came with the kit were perfect for the starting tone. Not sure I want to give that up, you know.

Seriously though, thanks for the setup. Good to hear the F104 is working properly without silly superglue tricks. With regards to truing these marshmallows down, I'm going looking for the rear arbor now, but will the front rims fit over a standard pancar wheel arbor? Edit: never mind, the search feature worked flawlessly for once, found the arbor info, thanks anyway.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Hy there !

Does anyone know if the new Tamiya rubber tires for the F104 will fit on the rims of the HPI Formula TEN?

The wheel hexes of the rims are different, but the Tires look quite similar.

The F10 and the F201 Rubber Tires and rims are interchangeable, but i dont know if the rubbers are also ?

Greetz Blueman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.