Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
I use Tamiya's PS-39 Translucent Light Blue on all my Redbull cars. I literally use an entire can (sprayed in light coats of course ) and back it with bright silver. The blue isn't an exact redbull match...but it's pretty. I've seen deeper metallic blues and wonder how people get that? Maybe PS-38?
Rod,
for the touring cars that color is just right, but the RB F1 is so dark, its almost black. However, using the translucent color and backing with black might be perfect. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VTR
How much do you charge? ship oversea? PM mi back,

thanks...
YGPM!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Paint and Vinyl

What colored vinyl do you all recommend for wings? I have been searching the forums and online for a good source of vinyl. Found a shop in Orange, CA but I think they only sell wholesale. 2 mil, 3 mil, Oracal, Avery?... Maybe it doesn't matter much, but I'd like your opinions and/or sources.

I have some Pactra Blue Streak paint laying around that I am thinking of trying for Red Bull colors, but I am not sure it will be dark enough. I may try a thin coat and back with black. Trying to get that dark metallic midnight blue look. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Try Ordway... They are in the valley...

Signsupply.com

they sell retail and they are one of the largest suppliers on the west coast

I get all of my sign vinyl from them

or West Coast Sign Supply... They are near downtown LA
Old 10-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I have a few jobs in the que, but I will never turn anyone away. I have a virgin 104 bodyset still in the wrapper and a RedBull decal sheet. Just say the word.
I also have a number of decal sheets from DDrive
and I also have 3 2008 McLaren/Ferrari sheets on the way from DDrive
PM me if anyone is interested in anything
One of the McLaren sheets is already dedicated to a job so I have 2 available
Brad, is that McLaren sheet for my new body ? I hope
Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Brad, is that McLaren sheet for my new body ? I hope
Why yes, yes it is, should be here this week
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy ball differential

Hi,
I have a problems with ball differential....a I have a new F104 but I cannot setup the right pressure..if I tightening the lock nut the whole differential begins stammer....I change the ball, cleared diff. housing and pressure disk etc but unfortunately without any success.

Can you help me?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kodiak Hans
Hi,
I have a problems with ball differential....a I have a new F104 but I cannot setup the right pressure..if I tightening the lock nut the whole differential begins stammer....I change the ball, cleared diff. housing and pressure disk etc but unfortunately without any success.

Can you help me?
Check the outer bearing by the adjuster nut, it may have gone notchy.
Had this problem on my CRC, used 4 different CRC ones and they all lasted no more than 2 runs, changed to another make and it is still running after 4 months.
It is a problem with cars that do not use a thrust bearing.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akura2
I use a few coats of Metallic blue, and then I back with black to get the dark metallic blue look... been working for me for a LONG time on my 5Zigen replica cars...

This shade above looks very close to the Red Bull color.

Unfortunately Pactra "Blue Streak" backed with black is not a good choice for Red Bull... It's pretty, but it is not Red Bull! I should have listened to BP Shadow, Akura and rtypec! I guess I was too lazy to drive down to the hobby shop.

I think that Translucent Blue (PS38) backed with Black or Metallic Black would look pretty close, but I like the what Akura has going on the 5Zigen. There is a metallic element to the RB color for sure. That will be my next attempt if I don't punt and let BP Shadow do the next one for me.

I'll try to post up some pics when the body is fully together. It's a nice, deep dark blue, but it's just not quite right for a Red Bull livery.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Kawada tyres

I tried some Kawada tyres at an outdoor asphalt track and was left disappointed...

1st run with kit tyres, no shock spring and silver front springs the car was sliding a little but it was very well balanced and easy to drive. No twitchiness to speak of.

2nd run with same setup and Kawada 25 rears and 40 fronts, it was a pile... It was almost impossible to drive with way too much front end grip. Twitchy everywhere, way too much steering. Changed to black front springs which was only very slightly better.

3rd run with same setup and Kawada 25 rears and 35 fronts, and it was actually a little better - surprising considering it was a softer front tyre... But it was still difficult to drive smoothly.

I also tried the kit rears with the 40 fronts and it was similarly twitchy. This makes me believe that the Kawada fronts are way too grippy. Anybody else tried these tyres???
Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I ran my new F104pro on a fairly high bit track. The car is really easy to drive. It has a good balance of on power steering with a slight push. I ran the car box stock with the stock tires and gearing. Gear is a little tall in stock form. I think a 1mm of tire trued will help the car some. I am running on a carpet track using Paragon. SO we do have some bit. The car needs a stiffer rear spring on my track. I am going to try different springs tomorrow. I went with 1 degree of camber. I ended up using a 96 spur with a 21t 64 pitch pinion. The car was good and fast with a Team Epic 5000 40c pack.

The only down side is the servo saver lasted 2 laps. I went with a tried and trues Kimbrough unit. Also i think the alloy motor mount is a must. The stock setup lets the motor move to easily. You relly have to tighten down the motor r it will shift.

Over all it is a great car out of the box.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

does anyone know if the car will fit the intellect 5000 30c batteries? thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer x 1
does anyone know if the car will fit the intellect 5000 30c batteries? thanks in advance.
Oh my god ! Matt, are you thinking of getting a F1 ?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

It seems most any hard case lipo will fit however you will not be able to use the esc and reciever mounts. If you do use them it reduces the size of the battery area. I am using the micro receiver from KO and a KO brushed esc the VFS series. All small and can be mounted to the chassis sides. If you use an SMC lipo with top exit wires you will need to cut the top deck some. A side wire exit pack will work best on this car.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hey

Brad what about my sauber body???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.