Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
So I checked the tire wear, the stock foam is down about 1mm from where I started, and the B compound is down less than 1/2 a mm. Not bad for a day of running
I think I ran 3 packs today
I was pulling the car off after a few laps to make changes, so im not sure i ever did a full 5 minute run
Have you measured your laps? Can us any setup sheets?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by veecee
Chassis pics

when will thoose tires be out
Old 10-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

instead of running f103 wheels i am using wheel spacers in the rims to widen the track and washers up front.I am using the round alloy ones tamiya made as a set.(Think touring car) the red ,white and blue ones. I gained 3.0mm per side in the rear and 2.5 mm per side up front. Just use narrow wheel nuts with no flange(ebay)I am trying to keep the scale reasism of this chassis and am prepping for the rubber tires when they come as I think that is the direction the class will take. Just like when they came out with rubber for the f103....most people switched over and tamiya even discountinued the foams for a while. I am against putting 103 parts on this car(you know what i mean...not talking about carryover parts)
This chassis has a good design and just needs some time . look at how DJ ran with his f104. Tweak it...tune it...make it work ....forget this 103 wheel tire stuff.....just run a 103 then. people got used to the 103 and you have to realize that this is NOT a 103 it is a 104.....and i have said it before my 104 is much faster then my 103 after playing with it. It seems most want a easy quick fix instead of working with what they have IMO
Old 10-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

When will be the FRP F104 available?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oortael
Have you measured your laps? Can us any setup sheets?
I havent done a setup sheet, and dont want to give up all the tricks just yet.
For comparison though my first laps were in the 14- 14.2 range. There were brushless sedans running, I think they had 13.5 turn motors and they were running around 12 flat and into the high 11's. By the end of the day I ran a 13 flat, and like I said, I think I can find a half second more with almost no effort. I need more seat time to get consistent, I was either running a wide line or clipping the boards in the corners, but that was more me than the car. I was very happy how good it was out of the box, and most importantly, nothing broke, so that is a plus as well.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

do you think you guys will get faster lap times with rubber tires ? why does everybody want rubber ? just curious. i want the rubber also but to run outside. to me foam seem the best for the track. i had rubber on my f103 and didnt like it.

what kind of tracks are you guys running on. on mytrack it is tight and technical and the 104 looses time in the hair pins and tight 180's to the 103s. i have noticed the 104 is faster down the straight tho.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have always found that on carpet, foam tires are the way to go performance-wise. On asphalt I have always had success with the rubber tires; they seem to need less prep than the foam tires on asphalt. I usually use some rubbing alcohol to clean them and maybe some sugar water sprayed on the asphalt track surface for grip and I'm good to go. Foam tires usually require a VERY smooth and CLEAN surface in order to perform well, and most parking lots are far from perfect.

However, if ultimate performance is not the main goal and you want to go with a more "scale realistic" look than the rubber tires are defintely more scale than any foam tire. That happens to be my personal preference, however be sure that your fellow F1 racers are ALL willing to do the same or there will be problems, as tires are the single biggest performance enhancer especially on a parking lot. He who finds the secret to getting grip/traction on a roadcourse on a less than perfect/dirty parking lot track will have the advantage no matter how much motor or gear the other guy is packing. I've seen it happen time after time.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

The only reason I am setting it up for Rubber tyres is that it is really a back up wet weather car, I will be using my CRC in the dry.
I am debating using a lower tuned motor (Saturn 20T) so maybe it could be used in GT3 thus making 2 cars on a race day and still be eligible for GT2 when wet.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
ddrive is about it, although you might check on ebay. I saw someone selling the same sheets a ddrive, but but they were a lot more expensive. I am planning an order to ddrive in the next couple of days, I can ask them when they might have what you are looking for back in stock.
Are you in the states?
Any news from ddrive?

I would consider AMS decals from rainbowten but can't work out which ones are the brawn ones
Old 10-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Questions?? Check this out.

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I have always found that on carpet, foam tires are the way to go performance-wise. On asphalt I have always had success with the rubber tires; they seem to need less prep than the foam tires on asphalt. I usually use some rubbing alcohol to clean them and maybe some sugar water sprayed on the asphalt track surface for grip and I'm good to go. Foam tires usually require a VERY smooth and CLEAN surface in order to perform well, and most parking lots are far from perfect.

However, if ultimate performance is not the main goal and you want to go with a more "scale realistic" look than the rubber tires are defintely more scale than any foam tire. That happens to be my personal preference, however be sure that your fellow F1 racers are ALL willing to do the same or there will be problems, as tires are the single biggest performance enhancer especially on a parking lot. He who finds the secret to getting grip/traction on a roadcourse on a less than perfect/dirty parking lot track will have the advantage no matter how much motor or gear the other guy is packing. I've seen it happen time after time.
Go to You Tube, type in Tamiya F103 Stead Race, and judge, there's a F201 7up runnin in there with rubs, but the rest of us are foams. Let me know what you think.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

f201 is 4wd. i was talking about 2wd. but ill chek it out.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The F60 looks way to good. AARGH I can't wait, haha. Hopefully it won't need to many hop up parts. I wonder how fragile the front wing will be, how well does the wing on the F104 pro hold up on the normal North American style carpet track?

I think F1 RC will start to take off even stronger once the F60 kit is released, because of the price and the scale looks will draw tons of people in.

Who thinks Button is going to be able to hang onto the championship this year? Only 5 days until practice starts in Brazil!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default F201

Originally Posted by gsxr0311
f201 is 4wd. i was talking about 2wd. but ill chek it out.
My fault, I know it's 4wd but I was mentioning it because the rubber wheels he was running that day on asphalt.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 3rd-dan
When will be the FRP F104 available?
This kit is STD !
you can buy Pro ver.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

rubber tires are much more consistant across a broad spectrum. alittle less grip on some surfaces and a little more grip on some others. You can tune the chassis with small changes like rear shock preload or ft springs or ride ht.
The car will always be predictable with rubber. With foam, as the tire wears you have to make corrections in your gearing(fdr& rollout) and ride ht. traction also changes as foam wears differently at each corner depending on your track.
Foam I always have to sauce(pain in the ass) and rubber I just wipe off between the heats and never sauce
I have run rubber on my f103 since it became avail. and the f104 will be no different for me.
Rubber also saves you a ton of $$ too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.