Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
anybody have a sphere mounted on an F104? also, what spur/pinion is everyone running for 17.5 and 13.5?
101/26 64p with 17.5 using the hpi purple adapter thing
motor at 142

I have more gear and timing in the car for speed but my current gearing and middle timing makes me equal to the silver can guys so we can have a fair race.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

anyone know if this spring set:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50509

has a SOFTER than stock front spring?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
anyone know if this spring set:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50509

has a SOFTER than stock front spring?

Yeah, the silver springs are softer than the gold stock ones. The black ones are the hardest in the set.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, at least the new wheels set is much tougher than the old ones.

Alfie

Originally Posted by Arahawak
I would like it if they are still able to use 103 tires.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

In some ways, yes.

The Friction Grease is a medium that controls the movements of your chassis when your car is taking corners. The heavier, the slower (or restrictive) your chassis rolls. It also controls the chattering effects, which many of us are experiencing while running our F1.

I had tried using the grease for the friction plate back in the F103GT days. It helped the car run better and more controllable, but it attracted more of the tiny sand, making the whole assembly gritty over a short period of time. Though you may have time for maintenance for that, but you cannot stop the wear and abuse that those tiny sand bits give to the friction post. You will need to keep some spares, if you want to use friction grease.

By the way, it's not necessary for you to use Tamiya "branded" grease at all. Any other much heavier silicone oil (for gas cars) are much better.

You can try "hard", or medium" first. If all else fails, try 8000wt.
Alfie

Originally Posted by krat
what weight should we use as start point?
is the friction grease also important?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

anyone running rubber tires on the f104? id like to get one...but foam tires just dont sound like fun to me.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alfie
Well, at least the new wheels set is much tougher than the old ones.

Alfie
Yes they are. but because they are so tough, they might break instead of bend.

On a another issue, i din want to use tire glue for the tires and wheels coz i wanted to save my pocket. But the normal double side tape found in the stationary shops doesnt seem to work well.

Are those tapes offered on the web by TRG and other brands any better or they are the same (just the price diff )?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Arahawak
Back when 1/12 rims were hard to come by, we used to put a single layer of the white "trainers" tape on the rims, then the tire glue, and then the foam tire. When you need to remove the old foam, simply slice through the old foam and tape and peal the whole thing off. The rims are then ready for another glue-up.
Bob Oaks
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Did some practice with my F104 last night. Tightening up the friction plate a few turns made a world of difference - the car turns in much better now.

I also increased the drag brake on my GTB/17.5 which helps a lot at the end of the straight. I'm running the 93 spur with the supplied 25T pinion and the motor and ESC are barely above ambient temperature after 5mins, but I really don't need any more speed at the moment.

I know of articles that discuss touring car setup. Is there a good online source for this type of chassis?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I don't bother with those tapes for the fact that the wheels cannot stay straight and true for as long as I want them to.

By the way, I have tried both different CA glue: the RC's CA glue and the cheap $1 instant glue. The CA dries too fast for me to pull open the tires for it to run along the wheels. Use the $1 Glue from the convenient store instead.
Alfie

Originally Posted by Arahawak
On a another issue, i din want to use tire glue for the tires and wheels coz i wanted to save my pocket. But the normal double side tape found in the stationary shops doesnt seem to work well.

Are those tapes offered on the web by TRG and other brands any better or they are the same (just the price diff )?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alfie
Well, I don't bother with those tapes for the fact that the wheels cannot stay straight and true for as long as I want them to.

By the way, I have tried both different CA glue: the RC's CA glue and the cheap $1 instant glue. The CA dries too fast for me to pull open the tires for it to run along the wheels. Use the $1 Glue from the convenient store instead.
Alfie
Another option is to use contact adhesive. Cheap and good.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

In any case that can help, here is an editable version of the setup sheet for the F104Pro.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I tried a Kimbrough 1/12 servo saver, with the ballstuds pointing out toward the front of the car. The steering links angle back similar to a 1/12 car. My car seemed to carve the corners better, and the steering seemed like it had more "resolution"- a bigger difference between turn in and when the rear end wants to come around. This was on carpet, I'm gonna try this on asphalt hopefully this weekend.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I tried a Kimbrough 1/12 servo saver, with the ballstuds pointing out toward the front of the car. The steering links angle back similar to a 1/12 car. My car seemed to carve the corners better, and the steering seemed like it had more "resolution"- a bigger difference between turn in and when the rear end wants to come around. This was on carpet, I'm gonna try this on asphalt hopefully this weekend.
If you have the time, would you post a picture of it?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by domj
Another option is to use contact adhesive. Cheap and good.
I used Wurth's Rubber Glue and Lacquer Thinner to glued all my foam tires.
You will find Wurth's Rubber Glue at Auto Paint Supply store and Lacquer Thinner at Home Depot.
See the attachment for the Rubber Glue.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-wurthrubberglue.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.