Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree16Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM
  #8551  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
GryphunRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 306
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JayL
Norcal THE TRACK, has some very good dedicated F1 racers, I can't speak for the hobby shop........
buy one online and go out to the track, you will get lot's of help and get to watch some fast guys
I know this for a fact. My first time at the track with my F1 (F104x1) a gentlemen walked up to me and said, "all right...another F1" with enthusiasm and proceeded to show me a couple tricks of the trade and great advice without me asking.

I will definitely return there (more now since my grad school is finished) and will be bringing along my x1 and soon to acquire version 2 (waiting for my order from speedtech which by the way the shipment of Version 2's landed yesterday meaning the hobby shops should be in receipt by next week)
GryphunRacing is offline  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
  #8552  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

For parking lot racing, would it be better to upgrade my Pro with the x1 dampner and short upper deck, 54331 RC Upper Deck/Roll Damper Set - F104X1 or just the short deck 54278 RC F104 Separated Upper Deck?

I would think the x1 setup with rubber tires. I couldnt get the right search words to find a suggestion.
RonF is offline  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM
  #8553  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RonF
For parking lot racing, would it be better to upgrade my Pro with the x1 dampner and short upper deck, 54331 RC Upper Deck/Roll Damper Set - F104X1 or just the short deck 54278 RC F104 Separated Upper Deck?

I would think the x1 setup with rubber tires. I couldnt get the right search words to find a suggestion.
It's like two steps in advancement

Both will improve the grip, and make the car more stable
RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
  #8554  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by J-PaP
Think he meant that the wheels/tyres are the same on a F104 V2. compared to a normal f104. Not the same front vs rear.
Thanks for the info, but that's not what I'm asking for...sorry for my english

My question is f103 rear tire can it be use in f104? Because with wider tire f103 rubber will give more traction on carpet instead of f104 rear rubber tire because of the wider size..

Thanks
k4mp4q is offline  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM
  #8555  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by k4mp4q
Thanks for the info, but that's not what I'm asking for...sorry for my english

My question is f103 rear tire can it be use in f104? Because with wider tire f103 rubber will give more traction on carpet instead of f104 rear rubber tire because of the wider size..

Thanks
Yes
With the "correct" tires, 200mm F-104 will for sure be faster in corners than 180mm, not more traction, just more stable

Here is F-103 tires and front end on F-104 WGP

RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
  #8556  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Yes
With the "correct" tires, 200mm F-104 will for sure be faster in corners than 180mm, not more traction, just more stable

Here is F-103 tires and front end on F-104 WGP

So that's mean I have to change the front end to f103 as well?
Thanks
k4mp4q is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 AM
  #8557  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
i find my 104 is going left very badly. i have been setting and reset the diff as it must be to to tight and this does not give me any help. i read this and it finds me to make sense. but i have a question to ask. when putting the left wheel side on how is it positioned on the axle? should i leave a amsll gap between the bearing and the hub(wouldnt this move left and right and cause problem?) or put a spacer between the hub and the bearing?
i check my bearing as we run on a low grip carpark and the bearings find alot of dust.they are replaced often.

thanks
Originally Posted by InspGadgt
There should be a very small gap...rule of thumb is to insert a piece of paper between the hub and the bearing when you tighten down. I find personally that I push too hard on the hub and don't get a big enough gap so I fold the paper and use the double thickness.
would putting some sort of shim between the hub and bearing be a help
freakyfreakyflo is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 AM
  #8558  
Tech Elite
 
theDover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ROAR Region 8 Kansas
Posts: 2,995
Default

Remember though, if you are sliding any shims over the rear axle between hubs and bearings, you are also widening the rear wheelbase by doing so and you would want to place the shims on both sides to even out the wheelbase.

Standard rear axle is 6mm x 110mm. Any 6mm shim will work.

Here is another product to consider a try.
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
theDover is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 AM
  #8559  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by k4mp4q
So that's mean I have to change the front end to f103 as well?
Thanks
If you are going to run 103 rear wheels, you should have the 103 front end, otherwise you will have 200mm rear track, with 180mm front track, also the 103 wheels are smaller dia than 104 wheels
Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
would putting some sort of shim between the hub and bearing be a help
I don't see how a shim will help with setting up a small gap on the axle
Can you post a pic of your car, top view, so we can have a look at what you have ?
Someone may be able to spot what is causing the issue you have

As Dover said
That C/W is also a good idea to balance the back of the car
RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 AM
  #8560  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 572
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
If you are going to run 103 rear wheels, you should have the 103 front end, otherwise you will have 200mm rear track, with 180mm front track, also the 103 wheels are smaller dia than 104 wheels
Been running my car with 180/200mm front/rear track (using r-sector widening kit on the rear but not the front). Works quite well for me.
J-PaP is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM
  #8561  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (43)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: houston tx
Posts: 497
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

searched everywhere but can not find the tamiya black diff case upgrade

Tamiya 84114

i don't care if i have to buy out of country, if anyone knows please let me know.
aceinthesky is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 AM
  #8562  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,680
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aceinthesky
searched everywhere but can not find the tamiya black diff case upgrade

Tamiya 84114

i don't care if i have to buy out of country, if anyone knows please let me know.
i ended up buying a black special off here for spares so i have it now....but i did originally buy the tech racing one off ebay which is also good but twice the price...
blade072 is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
  #8563  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LA,CA
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

For anyone who has the aluminum roll damper upgrade for the x1 do you build with no rebound and what wt oil is good for rubber tires on asphalt thanks.
MDRTales is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
  #8564  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MDRTales
For anyone who has the aluminum roll damper upgrade for the x1 do you build with no rebound and what wt oil is good for rubber tires on asphalt thanks.
Read the instructions
Drill the 1mm hole
900wt
RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
  #8565  
dfx
Tech Adept
 
dfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Read the instructions
Drill the 1mm hole
Sorry for the stupid question but does it mean drill the 1mm hole through the whole plastic part (damper cap)? Don't own V2 yet but it should help in the future...
Thanks
dfx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.