Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM
  #8431  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by skengines View Post
So this is what I have so far.


Futaba 9551
Tekin 21.5
Tekin RS Pro
Shorty LiPo
Futaba Receiver

Will still need to get 30-35T pinions, but I think I have everything covered? This will be my first time with on road, so just want to make sure I get all my ducks in a row.

Also got the parts below.

F104 F Parts - Suspension Arm/Front
F104 J PARTS (Front Wing
F104 Mesh Wheels - For Rubber Tires (F/R)
F104 Rubber Tires Front
F104 Rubber Tires Rear
F103 / F104 1 Piece Ball Thrust Bearing
5mm Alum Ball Nut - Fluorine Coated 10pcs
F104 Titanium Coated King Pin - 2pcs
F104 Rubber Tires - Rear/Soft
Tamiya Rear Steel Shaft 6x110mm F104
F104 Font F3-Soft (1 pair)
If you are running the old F104 you will probably want a softer rear t-plate. If you are running the V2 you won't need it.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
  #8432  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (226)
 
skengines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blah Vegas
Posts: 5,296
Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
If you are running the old F104 you will probably want a softer rear t-plate. If you are running the V2 you won't need it.

Yep, I'm running the older F104 Pro. Was thinking of the V2 but figured I would start off with this before getting a better model.

Link to the t-plate? Where do you guys usually get your parts? Amain doesn't sell Tamiya parts
skengines is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM
  #8433  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (226)
 
skengines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blah Vegas
Posts: 5,296
Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
64P pitch pinions are okay to use with the stock Tamiya spur? Are you positive? Just don't want to strip any spurs....

Can anyone confirm this? gonna order 30-35T 64P pinions today.
skengines is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:44 PM
  #8434  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 569
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skengines View Post
Can anyone confirm this? gonna order 30-35T 64P pinions today.
I know at least 1-2 guys who have used 64p with a tamiya spur without a problem. Why not just spend a few dollars and get a spur gear spacer and a 64p spur and you will be 100% safe.
J-PaP is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
  #8435  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (226)
 
skengines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blah Vegas
Posts: 5,296
Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)
Default

So with the F104, any recommendation on what spur gears I need then?
skengines is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 01:01 PM
  #8436  
Tech Master
iTrader: (55)
 
hanzo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,293
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Do we have to turn down throttle expo for f1s? When I gun it on a straight it either goes left or right. My trim looks fine when it is slow. Diff is nice and smooth. Ceramic bearings and ae black grease. Do I need to change my thrust bearing assembly?
hanzo3 is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM
  #8437  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skengines View Post
link to spacer?
i used the 3Racing spur gear adapter from theF109 and it works well

as for spur gears i use the Corally Delrin white spurs and they are great even outdoors

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/54215...04-p-4594.html

sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  #8438  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by skengines View Post
Yep, I'm running the older F104 Pro. Was thinking of the V2 but figured I would start off with this before getting a better model.

Link to the t-plate? Where do you guys usually get your parts? Amain doesn't sell Tamiya parts
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54222

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=882

Xenon spur gears are awesome if you can find them. Lots of holes for diff balls makes for a smoother diff.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 02:51 PM
  #8439  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Do we have to turn down throttle expo for f1s? When I gun it on a straight it either goes left or right. My trim looks fine when it is slow. Diff is nice and smooth. Ceramic bearings and ae black grease. Do I need to change my thrust bearing assembly?
If your diff is locked (and it should be) it will go straight on power, unless there is something off in the front end
Try using proper silicon diff grease
RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM
  #8440  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (226)
 
skengines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blah Vegas
Posts: 5,296
Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)
Default

When running the 64 pitch spurs, do I need to use different diff balls? In the manual the Tamiya spur only uses 6 diff balls but i noticed with the 3Racing Spur it was 8 holes plus additional holes on the outside.
skengines is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 08:53 PM
  #8441  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skengines View Post
When running the 64 pitch spurs, do I need to use different diff balls?
get some 1/8 diff balls...although some say the 3mm ones will work...but i melted one of my spurs hence the change to 1/8 balls and have not had an issue since but i am using kawada and kimbrough spurs

Last edited by blade072; 06-16-2012 at 11:04 PM.
blade072 is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM
  #8442  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (226)
 
skengines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blah Vegas
Posts: 5,296
Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade072 View Post
get some 1/8 diff balls...although some say the 2mm ones will work...but i melted one of my spurs hence the change to 1/8 balls and have not had an issue since but i am using kawada and kimbrough spurs
How many balls do I need to run in the 3racing spur gear and do I need new diff rings?

If possible can someone provide me with links to what I will need? Appreciate all the help! It's a lot different from off road.
skengines is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 10:21 PM
  #8443  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skengines View Post
How many balls do I need to run in the 3racing spur gear and do I need new diff rings?

If possible can someone provide me with links to what I will need? Appreciate all the help! It's a lot different from off road.
yes you will need to use 8 balls for the holes that line up with the rings...
the standard diff rings are fine.....you might need to get a spur gear adapter though
and 1/8 balls

http://www.tqrcracing.com/forum/view...no=43&bbs_no=9

above is a link to the 3racing f109 manual and below is a link to the adapter needed

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...r+gear&pg_no=3



blade072 is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM
  #8444  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 569
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

tamiya 54125 is the spur gear spacer you need.

Using kawada spurs with 3mm diff balls and no issues. i prefer using the tamiya ceramic diff balls.

No need to replace your diff plate just sanding them with 600 grit sand paper soaked in water.

kawada spur uses 8 balls.
J-PaP is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 PM
  #8445  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by J-PaP View Post
tamiya 54125 is the spur gear spacer you need.

Using kawada spurs with 3mm diff balls and no issues. i prefer using the tamiya ceramic diff balls.

No need to replace your diff plate just sanding them with 600 grit sand paper soaked in water.

kawada spur uses 8 balls.
i melted my kawada using 3mm.....but glad to see you got yours to work without an issue.....
blade072 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.