Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
  #811  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Mabuchi Motor

I know this is a dumb question, but I have never used one of these motors before. Is there a Positive & Negative side? The only marking I can see is a red dot near the post with the yellow wire. Also I have converted to 64 pitch, what is a good start for gearing?
svines1972 is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
  #812  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by svines1972 View Post
I know this is a dumb question, but I have never used one of these motors before. Is there a Positive & Negative side? The only marking I can see is a red dot near the post with the yellow wire. Also I have converted to 64 pitch, what is a good start for gearing?
That red dot indicates positive (the yellow wire). The motor should spin counter-clockwise when hooked up. 64p gears should be pretty much the same as the .4 stock pitch, so the kit gear is a 104/25. Gearing depends on track size and tire size, so make sure you take those into account as well
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
  #813  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

How wide is the F104 with F103 rear tyres? Is it any wider or narrower than the F103? And by how much? Thanks.
veecee is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 AM
  #814  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

geeunit1014 - Thanks for the info. I will be running at the Tamiya track.
svines1972 is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
  #815  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,042
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by veecee View Post
How wide is the F104 with F103 rear tyres? Is it any wider or narrower than the F103? And by how much? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure its the same, as you can use all the 104 pod parts with the 103. Just the rim offset is different.
robk is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
  #816  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
JayL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,098
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
I'm pretty sure its the same, as you can use all the 104 pod parts with the 103. Just the rim offset is different.
I was thinking the f104 option alum rear pod side that doesnt mount the motor might look good on my F103
JayL is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
  #817  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Thanks robk.
veecee is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM
  #818  
Tech Rookie
 
Drew RCNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
I'm pretty sure its the same, as you can use all the 104 pod parts with the 103. Just the rim offset is different.
103 rear tyres are 45mm wide, rims 36mm in Dia, whereas 104 using Dia 44mm rims and tyre 35mm wide, only things the same are both 14mm hex.
Drew RCNZ is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM
  #819  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Drew RCNZ View Post
103 rear tyres are 45mm wide, rims 36mm in Dia, whereas 104 using Dia 44mm rims and tyre 35mm wide, only things the same are both 14mm hex.
We're talking overall width of the car here mate - ie overall rear width of F104 w/F103 rear wheels vs overall rear width of F103. So what robk is saying is that rear width of both cars is the same when using F103 rear wheels. I hope...
veecee is offline  
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 AM
  #820  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,447
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by veecee View Post
We're talking overall width of the car here mate - ie overall rear width of F104 w/F103 rear wheels vs overall rear width of F103. So what robk is saying is that rear width of both cars is the same when using F103 rear wheels. I hope...
I'm curious. But what difference would it make? 104 has a longer wheelbase. So as long as the track width is wider than 104 stock wheels, thoery wise it be more stable. Actual performance wise I'm not sure if it's going to better.

My main reason for getting the 104 w/103 tires is just to use them up cos I have lots of it.

Please enlighten me
Arahawak is offline  
Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 AM
  #821  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Basically I want to run F103 tyres - more options and level playing field with everyone else. I've never owned an F103 so I just wanted to know how wide the car is with F103 tyres. I know there are no set rules for F1 yet but in case there are I want to know where this setup stands. I also want to look at ways to widen the front to be the same width front and rear. And knowing the rear is ok, I can just focus on widening the front end. Enlightened?

Last edited by veecee; 09-11-2009 at 02:15 AM.
veecee is offline  
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 AM
  #822  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
peter p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Torquay
Posts: 199
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Veecee do you race f1 in Melbourne ? i have a 104 but am in Geelong
peter p is offline  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 AM
  #823  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Haven't raced the F1 yet. The only club I know that races F1 in Melb is restricting the class to F103s until next year.
veecee is offline  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 AM
  #824  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (34)
 
barts71m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere Pretty Awesome
Posts: 2,591
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by veecee View Post
Haven't raced the F1 yet. The only club I know that races F1 in Melb is restricting the class to F103s until next year.
RC Vincent...u need to pack the 104 in a bag and come to sydney...The guys are running em pretty much every meet now...trying to sell off my F201 so I can get a 104pro.
barts71m is offline  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:59 AM
  #825  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Very tempting mate, very tempting...
veecee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.