Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM
  #7966  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I don't have a WGP, but I've done the conversion from classic F103.

Off the top of my head, if you're starting with an F103 front, you need at least the following to convert to F104:
9808241- http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
51381 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
53599 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
54249 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...d=32mm&pg_no=1 Or anything comparable.
9808240 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...808240&pg_no=1 Or anything comparable.
53587 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...yword=&pg_no=4 Shims for front axles to remove slop. They didn't come with my F103, but from what I understand, the F104 kits come with one .3mm piece per side. Of course, you may use whatever substitute you may have laying around; I would guess WGP probably comes with this piece.

You can get the following options to bring it up to pro/x1 spec:
54160 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
54161 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
54202 - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1

I don't know what wheels the WGP comes with, but i'd assume you'd need a full set of 104 F/R wheels too. F103 fronts don't fit on the F104 front suspension. If you do switch to F104 front wheels, don't forget the bearings too since the OD is different from F103.

Last edited by silencery; 03-24-2012 at 11:16 PM.
silencery is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
  #7967  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

i have the f109 at the moment.......the kingpin balls look the same.....
so all i would need is the f parts and kingpins....and maybe the brace for the back of the servo holder...but not sure on the last one...
as for bearings..yeah i would need to get those for f104 spec wheels...or i could just leave as is and just use the f103 wheels
as i know they will fit on the f104wgp front

thanks
blade072 is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 PM
  #7968  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

No prob.

If you have the F109, you may be able to use the front kingpins? I know FGX/F104 kingpins are interchangeable.

Oh, oops, forgot about the servo holder. If you need the F104 servo holder (and I strongly believe you will), it comes on the F104 D parts tree: 51380. You can also use metal hop-ups as an alternative; tamiya/exotek/3racing all make aluminum options.
silencery is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
  #7969  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by silencery View Post
No prob.

If you have the F109, you may be able to use the front kingpins? I know FGX/F104 kingpins are interchangeable.

Oh, oops, forgot about the servo holder. If you need the F104 servo holder (and I strongly believe you will), it comes on the F104 D parts tree: 51380. You can also use metal hop-ups as an alternative; tamiya/exotek/3racing all make aluminum options.
the f103/109 kingpins are the same size.....around 28mm so i would need to get those...thanks again for your help
blade072 is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 AM
  #7970  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

just realised the w uses the same servo holders so i wont need to order those..
blade072 is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 AM
  #7971  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

does anyone know of a link to the F104GP manual??
k_bojar is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
  #7972  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,181
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Not sure if it is online yet
Perhaps some one can make a copy and put the link here?

regards Roy
Pro10noob is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  #7973  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,753
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade072 View Post
to anyone out there who has the f104wgp....
have you changed the front end to the 104???
if so what parts and mods were needed or used.. (but it probably wont make much difference)

thanks
To convert to the standard narrow 104 front end you will need the f104 front arms parts tree TAM51381, f104 king pins TAM54160, turnbuckes TAM54249 (pair), 2 x ball studs TAM53968, (pack of 5), and2 x ball nuts TAM53640 (pack of 10)

Mark
mtveten is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 AM
  #7974  
Tech Master
iTrader: (47)
 
cocojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,644
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Is there a carbon reinforced front upper arm available from Tamiya. I keep on bending the front plastic upper arms of my 104 everytime I bump or crash. Has anyone tried converting this or fabricating a reinforcement?
cocojam is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:10 AM
  #7975  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (98)
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
To convert to the standard narrow 104 front end you will need the f104 front arms parts tree TAM51381, f104 king pins TAM54160, turnbuckes TAM54249 (pair), 2 x ball studs TAM53968, (pack of 5), and2 x ball nuts TAM53640 (pack of 10)

Mark
thanks mark...
have put both tamiya f104 front and rear wings on my f109 and see how it goes sunday....here hoping it goes crap...
blade072 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 AM
  #7976  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
texastc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cocojam View Post
Is there a carbon reinforced front upper arm available from Tamiya. I keep on bending the front plastic upper arms of my 104 everytime I bump or crash. Has anyone tried converting this or fabricating a reinforcement?
I use small diameter cf rod and Shoe Goo. Then some heat shrink over it. Strengthens it well.
texastc is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 AM
  #7977  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
texastc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade072 View Post
thanks mark...
have put both tamiya f104 front and rear wings on my f109 and see how it goes sunday....here hoping it goes crap...
I like the F109 front wing, while I like the tamiya f60 rear.
texastc is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 PM
  #7978  
Tech Master
iTrader: (47)
 
cocojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,644
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by texastc View Post
I use small diameter cf rod and Shoe Goo. Then some heat shrink over it. Strengthens it well.
Thanks. Will try doing that, especially the heat shrink which I never thought of.
cocojam is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  #7979  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 139
Default

hello
i make my car into 48p gear and ask of the gear spacer? should it measure the same width as the spur gear or is it fine to be wider than the gear? or to file the spacer down? i only have spur gear that is of very thin.
freakyfreakyflo is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM
  #7980  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
texastc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo View Post
hello
i make my car into 48p gear and ask of the gear spacer? should it measure the same width as the spur gear or is it fine to be wider than the gear? or to file the spacer down? i only have spur gear that is of very thin.
Its fine to be wider than the gear.
texastc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.