Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 AM
  #7726  
dfx
Tech Adept
 
dfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post
1. What diameter foam tire seems to work best for short carpet tracks?
2. What is the weight that seems to work best for you?
3. Is there any things that are super important when setting this up for carpet?
Hey Brandon,

1. 58 (F) and 61 (R) mm diameter works fine for me at the moment
2. Short lipo, low profile servo and SP 1 cell motor are making a good package for me. The car is lighter than with regular equipment...
3. This is up to drivers feeling but rear ride height 6mm, front ride height 4mm, Tamiya A rears and Tamiya B fronts, carbon lower deck and X1 upgrade with all 4 posts, not too much of a camber, dif not too tight, traction compound for rears and maybe 1/3 of fronts for the morning runs and it makes my car predictable and with enough steering.
dfx is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
  #7727  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,042
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post
Hey guys! My names Brandon and I'm new to this forum and F1 style racing.

I've been running my f1pro on carpet for a few weeks now and its slowly getting dialed in, but i still cant seem to keep it from traction rolling without being to tail happy in the corners, so I have a few questions for people running on carpet.

1. What diameter foam tire seems to work best for short carpet tracks?

2. What is the weight that seems to work best for you?

3. Is there any things that are super important when setting this up for carpet?(sound like a stupid question)<<<noob

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Brandon C
Brandon were you at Winthrop harbor last night?
robk is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM
  #7728  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 3
Thumbs up The Track

Yep that was me traction rolling Thanks again for the front uprights! It helped a lot. I owe you one...well 2 haha

I ended up just signing up on here so i got about 500pgs to read to catch up but I also found your blog which I find extreamly helpful. I'll be heading back there saturday to give a bunch of your settings a go.

Your car is insanely planted and you make it look easy every time I've seen you race.
You got any advice for that track?
BrandonC is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
  #7729  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
BCZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hey all,

Has anyone noticed any aero difference by using the body without the side pods installed? Im currently weighing up pros and cons...

so far:

Pro: Easier to cut out , stronger?, lighter

Cons: Looks arent as sleek, side pods only glued/taped (fragile?)

anyone else had a play with one way and the other got any feedback?

Thanks in advance!!
BCZero is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
  #7730  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BCZero View Post
Hey all,

Has anyone noticed any aero difference by using the body without the side pods installed? Im currently weighing up pros and cons...

so far:

Pro: Easier to cut out , stronger?, lighter

Cons: Looks arent as sleek, side pods only glued/taped (fragile?)

anyone else had a play with one way and the other got any feedback?

Thanks in advance!!

i would think that there would be very little aerodynamic affects if you are running say a 540 silver can, although if using a 21.5t faster then it may benefit.
I)arkness is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
  #7731  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
BCZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
i would think that there would be very little aerodynamic affects if you are running say a 540 silver can, although if using a 21.5t faster then it may benefit.
Thats what im hoping ta
BCZero is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM
  #7732  
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,659
Default

Originally Posted by BCZero View Post
Cons: Looks arent as sleek, side pods only glued/taped (fragile?)

!!
use drywall mesh and shoo goo on the inside to secure the pods and they will be anything but fragile...
Taylorm is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM
  #7733  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,042
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post
Yep that was me traction rolling Thanks again for the front uprights! It helped a lot. I owe you one...well 2 haha

I ended up just signing up on here so i got about 500pgs to read to catch up but I also found your blog which I find extreamly helpful. I'll be heading back there saturday to give a bunch of your settings a go.

Your car is insanely planted and you make it look easy every time I've seen you race.
You got any advice for that track?
This:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4jX...jU2/edit?pli=1

If you're back next Tuesday we can go over your car.
robk is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 AM
  #7734  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 3
Thumbs up

Thats what I've been working on copying fOr the past few days buy I don't have a way to turn down my tires so I'm lowering it as much as I can but what lube u run on ur diff?

I'll b there all satuday maybe Sunday and Tuesday for sure.

BrandonC
BrandonC is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 AM
  #7735  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by BCZero View Post
Hey all,

Has anyone noticed any aero difference by using the body without the side pods installed? Im currently weighing up pros and cons...
Hell I can't tell any handling difference when the rear wing breaks off...I doubt the body will make any difference other than looking much better.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM
  #7736  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 139
Default

the tamiya rubber tire.the option tire is hard,what does that make the kit tire? is there difference between them good or bad?
freakyfreakyflo is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM
  #7737  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,906
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo View Post
the tamiya rubber tire.the option tire is hard,what does that make the kit tire? is there difference between them good or bad?
We have always referred to the 104 kit tires as medium compound, there's a tiny N on the sidewall.
The Option front is a hard compound and the Option rear is a soft compound, these both have a tiny W on the sidewall.
The hot setup is kit/medium fronts with Option/soft rears.
If you run the Option/hard fronts you will most likely lose all of your steering everywhere and if you combine them with the kit/medium rears you will most likely lose grip everywhere, even on hi bite tracks.
Some will argue but that is my experience on these combos.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
  #7738  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,042
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post
Thats what I've been working on copying fOr the past few days buy I don't have a way to turn down my tires so I'm lowering it as much as I can but what lube u run on ur diff?

I'll b there all satuday maybe Sunday and Tuesday for sure.

BrandonC
Use Associated silicone diff lube = red lettering on the tube. Eric has this on the wall.
robk is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
  #7739  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
nrtv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Hell I can't tell any handling difference when the rear wing breaks off...I doubt the body will make any difference other than looking much better.
I donít think the wings down force effect has as much effect as their effect on the weight balance. But I agree; I donít think the aero will change much with the body add-ons.
nrtv20 is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 PM
  #7740  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
nrtv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Well when I first started racing F1 this year I did it with a used car; well here is my first attempt at painting up a new body. I wanted it to look like the '96 Jordan car but I wanted more color so I used the F60 stickers for the wings; I also will use the optional 'fin' that comes in the body kit and it will also be red.

Here it is! I love it so dont hate on it too much

PS. I still have to sticker it up and put on the driver helmet.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-wp_000333.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-wp_000334.jpg  
nrtv20 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.