Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Howler
Hey all, I have what seems to be a HUGE dilemma. I destroyed my X1 today with a lick to the wall(Broken T-plate, Pod, and Damper tube), and I was trying to find a part number for the inner roll damper piston(the white plastic portion) that I shattered. Unfortunately, my parts listing shows the part with a code of BC18 w/o a number, accept for a small clover underneath it. (don't know if that means good luck finding one, lol).

I've looked on ebay, googled it, and looked on several other parts sites without any luck . Am I going to have to order an entire top deck plate from tamiya just to get this part, or does anybody know where I can just get the damper assembly by itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
the only way to get that tube is to get a hole new upper kit .i have broken mine to .what you can do is get the tube kit from crc gen x car kit and shortin the aluminim tube cut one ring of plastic and drill out cup holder for tamiya threads ,is a lot cheaper ,or like me dont hit shi. so hard
Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yep would agree my car not like hitting stuff either I certainly don't blame my driving I just question who put the obstical there to start
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theatriks
Well my concern is more with servo mounting ...ive got mine facing up to eliviate bump steer ....do i need to remount mount it because the height of the f103 front end seems lower....and is there any camber adjustement with the f103 front end?
Never liked mounting it facing up myself because of what it does to the ackermann, but each to their own. The F104 servo is supposed to be mounted vertically like the F103, so if you have mounted it flat then the linkages should line up much the same as on the F104 or easily adjusted by shims if necessary.

There is no adjustments at all on the F103 front end, all you can do is change the springs and preload. Keeps things nice and simple. If you want adjustment get the 3Racing F109 front end and alloy caster mount, has both caster and camber adjustments. I used to run an F109, but mounted the F103 front end on it as it was more consistent then the F109 one.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
There is no adjustments at all on the F103 front end, all you can do is change the springs and preload. Keeps things nice and simple. If you want adjustment get the 3Racing F109 front end and alloy caster mount, has both caster and camber adjustments. I used to run an F109, but mounted the F103 front end on it as it was more consistent then the F109 one.
Did the same, too many adjustments and too much play.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sweet
Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

having run on the weekend using a friends f104x1 and ended up winning. i was amazed as i don't really have that much of an idea on how to setup the chassis.

i was chasing corner entry turn-in all day. went from gold to silver springs, helped a little, also tried more camber. but was still lacking.

is there something i can do to achieve this, or should i just run a softer front tyre
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by I)arkness
having run on the weekend using a friends f104x1 and ended up winning. i was amazed as i don't really have that much of an idea on how to setup the chassis.

i was chasing corner entry turn-in all day. went from gold to silver springs, helped a little, also tried more camber. but was still lacking.

is there something i can do to achieve this, or should i just run a softer front tyre
I raised the rear ride height of the car. Was amazed at how much better it tracked into the corner on power.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I)arkness

try raising the center of the car(spring pre-load) and make sure the diff isnt too tight
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkennedy
try raising the center of the car(spring pre-load) and make sure the diff isnt too tight
This helped me last weekend and also kept the rear grip, thanks Mike.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Well my concern is more with servo mounting ...ive got mine facing up to eliviate bump steer ....do i need to remount mount it because the height of the f103 front end seems lower....and is there any camber adjustement with the f103 front end?
Leave the servo as it is, same side plates and you can use the same front battery brace, as in the pic shown a few posts back.
Can use the same uprights/spindles (or the 3.5 offsets you asked about)but will need to shorten or replace the kingpins as also mentioned recently.
And of course the longer tierods, just unscrewing the ballcup ends will be sketchy cuz the threads will be nearly all the way out.
There's really not much involved, take a close look at all the recent info listed here in the past couple pages.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Rookie

@I)arkness

hudy setup

at the last pages there is a diagram with everything you should do with priority level depending on the problem you have.

wet
height front 3
height rear 4
silver (soft) springs front
red (soft) spring rear a bit tight, 600silicone
a bit loosen tbar middle screw (1.5mm tbar)
camber 1.5
toe 0 to +1 depending on the track (chicanes, S etc)
& diff grease RB
diff not blocked (not too tight)

sunny
everything the same except front springs gold (medium)
and diff a little bit blocked

ps: Softer front tires, helps for sure.
ps1: now that is cold and wet we use at the track shimizu ps 0561 front ps0565 Rear on ride wheels. Works great! Above 20C forget it. Ideal conditions. temperature 5-15C and wet track.

Last edited by jlask; 02-13-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlask
@I)arkness

hudy setup

at the last pages there is a diagram with everything you should do with priority level depending on the problem you have.

wet
height front 3
height rear 4
silver (soft) springs front
red (soft) spring rear a bit tight, 600silicone
a bit loosen tbar middle screw (1.5mm tbar)
camber 1.5
toe 0 to +1 depending on the track
& diff grease RB
diff not blocked (not too tight)

sunny
everything the same except front springs gold (medium)
and diff a little bit blocked
yeah i know about setting up touring cars and minis, but dont have a clue on f1's

thanks everyone for the tips/ advice.

at least i now have somewhat of an idea of what to do.

cheers
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Tech Rookie

agree
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

This picture from Exotek should help... You'll need post in place of the rear part of F104 lower arms.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Howler
Hey all, I have what seems to be a HUGE dilemma. I destroyed my X1 today with a lick to the wall(Broken T-plate, Pod, and Damper tube), and I was trying to find a part number for the inner roll damper piston(the white plastic portion) that I shattered. Unfortunately, my parts listing shows the part with a code of BC18 w/o a number, accept for a small clover underneath it. (don't know if that means good luck finding one, lol).
Hi mate, not sure if this will help but the new damper that fits the RM-01 apparently also fits the F104X1 - 54342 RM-01 Aluminum Roll Damper Set. It's an oil filled damper so it's not exactly the peice your after but it may be a better option.

Stellamodels.net has it on their web pages, great place to shop with good prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.