R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya F104 Pro! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/289662-tamiya-f104-pro.html)

nrtv20 01-27-2012 08:28 AM

What is everyone’s opinion on running different battery sizes?
Light battery better in corners?
Light battery loose tendencies?
Push with heavy battery?
More grip with heavy?

I have been running a 5000mah battery and I can’t seem to get the car to turn in very hard; I am running a F104 Pro. I use Shimizu 575/577 combo; kit t-plate; 2 deg camber; Soft center spring (only one I have); silver fronts (soft) heavy lube on friction disc. Mainly the rear end of the car is stiff and the front is soft.

Only suggestions I can come up with is heavier center spring and/or split upper deck.

I’m running on low grip carpet. Thoughts?

idbdoug 01-27-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by nrtv20 (Post 10235779)
Push with heavy battery?
More grip with heavy?

I have been running a 5000mah battery and I can’t seem to get the car to turn in very hard; I am running a F104 Pro. I use Shimizu 575/577 combo; kit t-plate; 2 deg camber; Soft center spring (only one I have); silver fronts (soft) heavy lube on friction disc. Mainly the rear end of the car is stiff and the front is soft.

Only suggestions I can come up with is heavier center spring and/or split upper deck.

Maybe PS-0574 F3 Soft fronts. 3racing 1.3 t-bar or tamiya high traction t-bar also try.
Is the front ride slightly lower than rear??
idbdoug

TryHard 01-27-2012 09:12 AM

Has anyone run the long X1 top deck, with the revised flex arrangement?

I picked one up the other week, and had it sitting on my desk. Currently, I've been running my X1 on high grip asphlat, using a carbon bottom deck, and standard (split) top deck, with only the two forward screws in posts
(I put all the chassis posts in, but only screw in the top of the front two... really don't like the idea of having it diagonal, something fundamentally not right with that idea, IMO)
I also don't use the batery clip, so it's pretty flexible up front, with just the carbon deck... I'm wondering if the long deck would allow the car to be a little less aggressive, such that I could run softer front springs...

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Cheers
Ed

Markus 01-27-2012 10:13 AM

I just switched to the x1 long top deck this past weekend. We had a 100+ entries for a Sweep Challenge Race.
High grip ozite carpet on a raised sub floor. lots of foam cars laying down more traction (1/12 stock and boosted, wgt).
I usually run the stock X1 bottom plate and the stock split top deck, all four post but this weekend my car felt indirect and was traction rolling with barely half the front tires sauced.
For this past weekend I ran the x1 long top deck and noticed some slight changes in the car.
Mainly for me, the switch made the car feel more direct and planted. Before the top deck my car always felt a little lofty/wander-y (not stuck down into the track) and definitely a bit rubbery in the turns.
I was able to add a wider area of traction compound to the front tires without traction rolling *Bonus* with the wider compound application, the car steered into the turns better with no fear of rolling or flipping.

For this day, it allowed me to drive the car harder.

MikeR 01-27-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by idbdoug (Post 10235882)
Maybe PS-0574 F3 Soft fronts. 3racing 1.3 t-bar or tamiya high traction t-bar also try.
Is the front ride slightly lower than rear??
idbdoug

Originally Posted by nrtv20 (Post 10235779)
Push with heavy battery?
More grip with heavy?

Yeah I agree with idbdoug, Change to softer fronts. 77's are VERY pushy. 74's have more bite and 71's have the most front bite.

ChadRacing 01-27-2012 06:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well...after i received the proper tires, I finally got to race my F104 X1. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this thread with setup tips. Setup was good, with some over steer out of the corners. After a few mins into the main, I went airborne from another car pushing into my wheels. And SNAP!!! My car is damaged. Here are the resulting pics.

idbdoug 01-27-2012 06:37 PM

What will these achieve in F104 Pro???
Tamiya Formula 3.5mm Offset Upright, F103/F104

I'm not sure what the stock is for Offset!!!!

Thanks
idbdoug

prorace 01-27-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by idbdoug (Post 10238550)
What will these achieve in F104 Pro???
Tamiya Formula 3.5mm Offset Upright, F103/F104

I'm not sure what the stock is for Offset!!!!

Thanks
idbdoug

Fit perfectly. Stock offset=0mm ;)

hanzo3 01-27-2012 07:55 PM

Is that a metal motor mount that snapped? Yikes!

ChadRacing 01-27-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by hanzo3 (Post 10238864)
Is that a metal motor mount that snapped? Yikes!

No..its the stock one comes in the X1 kit. I am ordering the aluminum one ASAP.

Does anyone make a better lower plate and diffuser for the motor pod?

idbdoug 01-27-2012 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by prorace (Post 10238589)
Fit perfectly. Stock offset=0mm ;)

Yeah they fit,,but what does Tamiya Formula 3.5mm Offset Upright achieve???? More steering,quicker steering,etc
thanks
idbdoug

mkennedy 01-27-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by idbdoug (Post 10238918)
Yeah they fit,,but what does Tamiya Formula 3.5mm Offset Upright achieve???? More steering,quicker steering,etc
thanks
idbdoug

usually a trailing arm is less twitchy. havent run the 104 offset hubs yet

Howler 01-27-2012 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChadRacing (Post 10238894)
No..its the stock one comes in the X1 kit. I am ordering the aluminum one ASAP.

Does anyone make a better lower plate and diffuser for the motor pod?

You can check with D-Drive http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/

Dragarcher 01-27-2012 10:40 PM

I saw an exotek lower carbon plate broken last week so unless they start making unubtainium plates....

texastc 01-27-2012 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dragarcher (Post 10239410)
I saw an exotek lower carbon plate broken last week so unless they start making unubtainium plates....

great, my Exotek is the only thing I haven't broken. :deathstar