Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree16Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 AM
  #61  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccartips
hi bakaguyjean,

i am almost ready to buy one. but one question... will LIPO fit, especially those whose battery wires exit on top (e.g. Orion)?

thanks.
The Orion packs might be a problem. Top exiting wires might line up right under the top deck. Also the Orion is a little larger than some of the current lipos. The shape of the rear battery holder is rounded so the squareness of the Orion might also be a problem. Personally I do not have Orion LiPos YOu should double check and see how it compares to a standard stick pack for sizes such as hieght and width.
Tamiya doesnt like LiPo so I do not think that they were even thought about for this chassis. Tamiya outlawed LiPos at all Tamiya events and both Tamiya circuits here in Japan a long time ago. Tamiya would really like for you to use LiFe as its safer. I know Tamiya America runs LiPos in TCS but they dont here.

With those thoughts somebody will most likely come along and make a top deck for LiPos like the Orions.

Last edited by bakaguyjean; 05-16-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: more thoughts
bakaguyjean is offline  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 AM
  #62  
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 822
Default

Originally Posted by grifballs
And what is the model name of the HPI F1? I am trying to find it.
The Formula 10...


also... @those how are worried about the center mounted battery affecting handling.....there have been plenty of 10-scale touring cars that in their press releases mention that they have moved the batteries closer to center to change the "roll center" of the car... I'm sure if the suspension is set up soft enough, (side to side roll) it will compensate for the closer roll center... just as car with batteries to one side and electronics to the other have/need thicker anti-roll bars to compensate the opposite way...

Cars like the Schumacher Cat SX have the motor and bateries mounted as close to center as possible.... and look at the Lost 8ight and most of the subsequent 8th scale buggies... they all are making a big deal about getting the weight as centered as possible and the are all doing quite well...

I'm sure that tamiya has figured out weight transfer sufficiently

also the car being longer should increase stability.... that's usually a fact.. that's how it is in all forms of automotive things... small and large....

but hey... F1 is supposed to be a challenge to drive... that's why they get paid the big bucks

Last edited by akura2; 05-16-2009 at 09:49 AM.
akura2 is offline  
Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 PM
  #63  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Big Daddy Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Makati, Philippines
Posts: 1,725
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Since the F104 Pro will be more expensive than the F103R 15th Anniversary Edition, I'm wondering if Tamiya will come out with a basic non-pro kit with body. Anyone have any info on this?
Big Daddy Cool is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 AM
  #64  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
Since the F104 Pro will be more expensive than the F103R 15th Anniversary Edition, I'm wondering if Tamiya will come out with a basic non-pro kit with body. Anyone have any info on this?
Nope, for now just the F104 Pro. They had no thoughts about a cheaper model. This i did ask about.
bakaguyjean is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 07:09 AM
  #65  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by akura2
Cars like the Schumacher Cat SX have the motor and bateries mounted as close to center as possible.... and look at the Lost 8ight and most of the subsequent 8th scale buggies... they all are making a big deal about getting the weight as centered as possible and the are all doing quite well...
Both of these cars are 4WD that are alot different than 2WD Direct Drive F1 cars with limited down force. Some WGT cars have center batteries but the bodies have huge down force. Some 1/12 cars have center batteris but again 1/12th has huge down force.
The F1GP here in Japan and the D-Drive Sports F1 race series are both dominated by rear mounted batteries. Not center batteries. TRG who used to be Nikko 5E used to have a center mount battery,They dumped that idea and use rear mounted batteries on the new chassis. Corally also had a center mount battery on thier first F1 chassis,They also dumped that idea for the current rear mounted battery.
Tamiya went with the center mount battery for current F1 body choices. That makes for a very nice body and that works fine if you TCS and they dump the F103 from TCS like they did before when the F201 came out.

Tech Racing is the only company that is sticking to the center mount battery on the new chassis The BR125.

Real F1 cars also have all the weight in the back. Driver foward is just the crash box and light weight suspension parts.

Not to argue but from past and current experience with F1 RC cars weight in the rear is a good thing.
So I wouldnt sell your F103 untill you get a chace to see whats going on with the F104 in person. Or just own both!! Thats fun also!
bakaguyjean is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 AM
  #66  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 206
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Great insight baka! I was wondering about Tamiya dropping the F103 as I am having trouble finding some parts at the online vendors. Most of the things I was looking for were out of stock or on order. I started to get a little worried.
grouch is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
  #67  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,617
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

hi, my feel is that the 103 with battery to rear still has a lot of steering. the 104 might take away rear traction, not good. but i still want one
rccartips is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 AM
  #68  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
JayL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,111
Default

actually, modern F1 cars have more weight on the front
just look when they get picked up by the crane, the nose falls down

or check the speed f1 boards...
JayL is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM
  #69  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Both of these cars are 4WD that are alot different than 2WD Direct Drive F1 cars with limited down force. Some WGT cars have center batteries but the bodies have huge down force. Some 1/12 cars have center batteris but again 1/12th has huge down force.
The F1GP here in Japan and the D-Drive Sports F1 race series are both dominated by rear mounted batteries. Not center batteries. TRG who used to be Nikko 5E used to have a center mount battery,They dumped that idea and use rear mounted batteries on the new chassis. Corally also had a center mount battery on thier first F1 chassis,They also dumped that idea for the current rear mounted battery.
Tamiya went with the center mount battery for current F1 body choices. That makes for a very nice body and that works fine if you TCS and they dump the F103 from TCS like they did before when the F201 came out.

Tech Racing is the only company that is sticking to the center mount battery on the new chassis The BR125.

Real F1 cars also have all the weight in the back. Driver foward is just the crash box and light weight suspension parts.

Not to argue but from past and current experience with F1 RC cars weight in the rear is a good thing.
So I wouldnt sell your F103 untill you get a chace to see whats going on with the F104 in person. Or just own both!! Thats fun also!
Your forgetting the Cross F1 which could run the battery in either configuration and ran very well with the battery in the in-line position.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
  #70  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,294
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
Since the F104 Pro will be more expensive than the F103R 15th Anniversary Edition, I'm wondering if Tamiya will come out with a basic non-pro kit with body. Anyone have any info on this?
By looking at the YEN listing between the 103R and 104...104 is about $60 USD more then the 103R. But came with a body ($40) and is a newer design with full option....$260 USD (just simply looking at the yen listing...) I was surprised to NOT seeing $300+ prace tag.
Solara is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
  #71  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Champ has it listed @ roughly $150 plus shipping ($50)..so it's cheaper than the F103R...my F103R was $219+$40 body.

http://sv09.wadax.ne.jp/~rc-champ-jp...456283f0d02068
Core Creations is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 PM
  #72  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

How this question goes out to the real F1 guys....

How do these cars do in STOCK form on a parking lot...

Lets say at night on a cold parking lot...

Stock 540 with kit tires...
Hyde is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
  #73  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Handling ???

I have read a few opinions on the handling of the F104 compared to the F103. Can someone with the technical knowledge, give a comparison of the 2 based on the information we have so far? F103 (wider & shorter & battery rearward accross chassis) compared to the F104 (Narrower & Longer & battery mounted in the center.

I would think that the wider F103 would be more stable and less twitchy due to the wider footprint. However others have said that the F104 would be easier to driver due to the extra length.
svines1972 is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
  #74  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,617
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

hyde, sometimes rubber tires work better than foams on concrete parking lots. it really depends and only answer is to try. loose diff might help as it acts like a slipper in bumpy conditions to maintain traction.

JayL, maybe the hook where crane picks up car is not centered and more to the rear, hence nose down when picked up. i would guess weight is 40/60 front/rear. engine/transmission/bigger tires/driver are all towards rear.
rccartips is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
  #75  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,294
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Champ has it listed @ roughly $150 plus shipping ($50)..so it's cheaper than the F103R...my F103R was $219+$40 body.

http://sv09.wadax.ne.jp/~rc-champ-jp...456283f0d02068
I am so surprise to see that listed at $150 USD plus shipping...if that is the case, I don't see why not buying the F104...need to send Masa a email fast...LOL (thanks Core Creation and awesome represent @ Omaha the past weekend)
Solara is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.