Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 AM
  #7456  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,182
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

@FST4RD.....How big are your rear tires?
Are the sides rounded or not?
Is the car level or is the rear a bit higher then the front?
With what glue did you glued the tires?
Do you use traction fluids?
Tell us a bit more.

regards Roy
Pro10noob is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 AM
  #7457  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
One of the bigger onroad series in Europe (ETS) is starting a F1 class, with 180mm and rubber. http://ets.redrc.net/rules

Yeah but to be fair they're also forcing you to use speed passion esc & motors, as well as only buying Tamiya or Hpi hop-ups.

The BRCA rules are much better imo.. Open Speedo, 21.5, Any chassis 180mm on rubber in modern class, and any 200mm chassis on foam in retro class.

Due to the popularity of the F109 in the UK the retro class has a much bigger attendance and it's also quicker than 180mm rubber.

I have the parts to run my car in either configuration so either is good for me.
JamesHealey is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 AM
  #7458  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 21
Default

hey guys, i got one of these cars and i run foams,
theres understeer on entry to a corner
and heaps of oversteer during the exit,
theres not much f1 cars in my area so i have to race the 4 wheel drive turing cars and they drive so much more aggresive. any help with tuning would be great, ive heard alot about camber but im not sure how
mitchie is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
  #7459  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
@FST4RD.....How big are your rear tires?
Are the sides rounded or not?
Is the car level or is the rear a bit higher then the front?
With what glue did you glued the tires?
Do you use traction fluids?
Tell us a bit more.

regards Roy
I run 104 front rims and 103 rear rims
Front foams are approx 58mm and 54mm on the rear
Sides are rounded slightly
Car chassis sits perfectly flat
Don't use traction fluid at all

Someone suggested raising the front up?
FST4RD is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:19 AM
  #7460  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Oh I also run 2 degrees camber on the front.
I rebuilt the rear diff, it's just tight enough that it doesn't slip, nice and smooth though.
FST4RD is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 AM
  #7461  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,182
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Plus 1 for those rules.
It was also a issue at the european finales in the Tamiya cup.
You couldn't use the F103 any more but only the F104.
Strange is that they did allow the F104W
So the difference between 180 and 200MM cars was still there
Also you had to buy the batteries,tires and motor there.
Now that would cost you....
It was the main reason why i didn't go.
It is better to split the classes in 2.
Modern and retro F1 cars

regards Roy

Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Yeah but to be fair they're also forcing you to use speed passion esc & motors, as well as only buying Tamiya or Hpi hop-ups.

The BRCA rules are much better imo.. Open Speedo, 21.5, Any chassis 180mm on rubber in modern class, and any 200mm chassis on foam in retro class.

Due to the popularity of the F109 in the UK the retro class has a much bigger attendance and it's also quicker than 180mm rubber.

I have the parts to run my car in either configuration so either is good for me.
Pro10noob is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 AM
  #7462  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,182
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

@FST4RD...Loose the camber.
Try to get the front and rear tires the same diameter.
Set the car lower at the front then the rear.
When using the F103 tires at the rear, the car will become 200MM at the rear but still is 180 at the front.
This will cause a sharper steering car.
Try this(see pic) with the T-bar,it will help a lot.
Also do you run the steel ar carbon rear axle?

regards Roy
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-t-bar.jpg  
Pro10noob is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 AM
  #7463  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,219
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FST4RD View Post
Don't use traction fluid at all
That would be my first step. Coat the rears fully, then adjust the fronts as needed. Start at the inner edge and work your way towards the center if you need more steering.
BadSign is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 AM
  #7464  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FST4RD View Post
I run 104 front rims and 103 rear rims
Front foams are approx 58mm and 54mm on the rear
Sides are rounded slightly
Car chassis sits perfectly flat
Don't use traction fluid at all

Someone suggested raising the front up?
By running F104 at the front and F103 at the rear you've effectively made the cars rear track 160mm and the front 150mm.. this is going to give you the characteristics you talked about with over steer on exit.

The F104 is normally 145mm rear and 150mm front.
The F103 is normally 160mm rear and 170mm front.

Race cars are supposed to have a wider track at the front to help stability through corners, you might find a way to setup the F104 to run with F103 rears, but you're fighting a loosing battle I think.

It's not just a case of "more traction from bigger rears". you're fundamentally altering the weight transfer of the car from outer front tire in the corner exit, to outer rear which will make the car over steer on exit.
JamesHealey is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 AM
  #7465  
dfx
Tech Adept
 
dfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by mitchie View Post
hey guys, i got one of these cars and i run foams,
theres understeer on entry to a corner
and heaps of oversteer during the exit,
theres not much f1 cars in my area so i have to race the 4 wheel drive turing cars and they drive so much more aggresive. any help with tuning would be great, ive heard alot about camber but im not sure how
I'm afraid that is very hard to compete with 4x4. Tell us more about Your car setup, motor, ESC settings ect.


Originally Posted by FST4RD View Post
Don't use traction fluid at all
Someone suggested raising the front up?
Oh I also run 2 degrees camber on the front.
Same words as Pro10noob. Running outdoors with alu camber plate 1,5 the car have lost the rear at all. For the carpet I have proper steering with plastic camber plate position 2 and rear end is planted.
Higher rear end than front end works for me aswell. Using traction compound only for rears (F104 wheels).
dfx is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 AM
  #7466  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

selling my Exotek f104 check out for sale forum.
JamesHealey is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM
  #7467  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
@FST4RD...Loose the camber.
Try to get the front and rear tires the same diameter.
Set the car lower at the front then the rear.
When using the F103 tires at the rear, the car will become 200MM at the rear but still is 180 at the front.
This will cause a sharper steering car.
Try this(see pic) with the T-bar,it will help a lot.
Also do you run the steel ar carbon rear axle?

regards Roy
I still have the f104 rear wheels with the factory foams, will try them out.
I'll try your suggestions out... fingers crossed!

Also I was running 1 degree camber. But is it normal for the outside of the tyre to wear slightly more then the inside?
FST4RD is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
  #7468  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by BadSign View Post
That would be my first step. Coat the rears fully, then adjust the fronts as needed. Start at the inner edge and work your way towards the center if you need more steering.
Never tried it before.
Whats the best one to use?
FST4RD is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM
  #7469  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,219
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FST4RD View Post
Never tried it before.
Whats the best one to use?
What everyone else is using at your track is usually best. I race only carpet and foam, so I use Paragon. But for rubber tires try Jack the Gripper or Trinity Death Grip and see what you like. DG works best on low traction, and JTG when you have a groove on the track. Avoid paragon on asphault, whether you run foam or rubber.
BadSign is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  #7470  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by BadSign View Post
What everyone else is using at your track is usually best. I race only carpet and foam, so I use Paragon. But for rubber tires try Jack the Gripper or Trinity Death Grip and see what you like. DG works best on low traction, and JTG when you have a groove on the track. Avoid paragon on asphault, whether you run foam or rubber.
This would be ok... but no-one uses it...
We all run foams on outdoor asphault on a reasonably grippy track...
FST4RD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.