R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #7036
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
hey guys, i have an f104x1, love car but am having a problem. when i try to get on throttle coming out of a turn, the car diffs out..... i've tried tightening the diff to various different degrees, including all the way locked down, where the car just loops out on throttle. the car seems to be staying flat in the corners, and does not lift the tire. but it seems that just the slightest bit of traction loss to one side causes the diff to spin.

any thoughts or ideas?
Loosen the side roll up as much as possible, and add some pod droop.

This made a big difference at the iic race.
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #7037
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,588
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
hey guys, i have an f104x1, love car but am having a problem. when i try to get on throttle coming out of a turn, the car diffs out..... i've tried tightening the diff to various different degrees, including all the way locked down, where the car just loops out on throttle. the car seems to be staying flat in the corners, and does not lift the tire. but it seems that just the slightest bit of traction loss to one side causes the diff to spin.

any thoughts or ideas?
Rubber or foam?
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #7038
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,383
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, thinking about picking up a a F1 car. I hear the 104 platform is the way to go, but there appears to be a 104, 104 pro, 104X1. Which one should I get for racing and why?

Appreciate the help.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #7039
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, West Australia
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

All will be ready to race out of the ox to some extent.

F104 F60:
Complete chassis, you should be set with it. You may want to get upgrade parts like oil shock, turnbuckles, alloy diff housing and alloy motor mount.

F104 Pro:
Complete Chassis. Probably the best value for money. Only upgrade part you will need is alloy motor mount, other than that its good to go straight out the box.

F104W:
Complete Chassis. Same as F60, you'll need the mentioned parts to get it reliable.

F104X1:
Not a complete chassis, you'll need to buy wing set seperately, and i believe a body too (may be wrong about the body). Good racing car though comes with all the hop ups you'll need.

Apparently for carpet foam racing the f104W is the go, tarmac foam the f104 Pro and tarmac rubber the f104x1 seems the goods.

Hope that helps ya. Ohh if you're keen get the 104Pro and then get the conversion to give it the side dampner like the X1.
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #7040
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Hey guys, thinking about picking up a a F1 car. I hear the 104 platform is the way to go, but there appears to be a 104, 104 pro, 104X1. Which one should I get for racing and why?

Appreciate the help.
All are good. The F104s (F60 or McLaren) are basic kits and would need some bearings, an oil damper, good tie rods and ends, plastic suspension balls replaced with aluminum, motor pod will be plastic etc. The good parts are, body, wheels, silvercan motor.

The Pro kits are all good stuff including carbon fiber chassis (although the FRP/fiberglass has been favored for asphalt low bite conditions), oil damper, aluminum parts, bearings etc. but no body or wheels.

The X1 is the best of all of it and also has the new side damper and hub/balancer as well as all the other good stuff.
I'd say snatch up an X1 if you can, as they became instantly discontinued but all parts are available only in blue anodized form and can be used to convert a Pro or even a basic F104 for a fair price. Just know you'll need to get a body and of course wheels and tires. Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 are unmatched for tire performance.

The F104 Ws are 200mm wide and may not be included in some clubs "Realistic" specifications due to them being wider than the recently more accepted 180mm Modern specs.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #7041
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,383
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys for the information. I will be racing at TQ in Chino once I get everything going. So it sounds like the X1 is the best bang for the buck. Does the Pro come with tires and a body? Again, thanks for the help!!
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #7042
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, West Australia
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

The F104Pro came with body and foam tyres and rims. The f104pro black edition im reasonably certain comes with everything, but neve bought the kit myself so cant say for sure.
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #7043
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,383
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
The F104Pro came with body and foam tyres and rims. The f104pro black edition im reasonably certain comes with everything, but neve bought the kit myself so cant say for sure.
Thanks I'll take a look at the f104 pro black edition.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #7044
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

See you at TQ man!
Just do the X1 and come on out.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #7045
Tech Regular
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Loosen the side roll up as much as possible, and add some pod droop.

This made a big difference at the iic race.
I'm having the same issue. I put 10K oil on the side dampner and figure maybe I should clean that off and go with none for right now...maybe try some 5k if I need more. As for the droop, I'm only seeing adjusting preload as a way of adding droop. Is this what you are talking about or am I just missing something?
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #7046
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I'm having the same issue. I put 10K oil on the side dampner and figure maybe I should clean that off and go with none for right now...maybe try some 5k if I need more. As for the droop, I'm only seeing adjusting preload as a way of adding droop. Is this what you are talking about or am I just missing something?
Hold the car up in the air and loosen the center T plate screw, that's gonna add droop. Max droop will be with the center screw removed, just be sure to glue the o ring (or a pink foam for the shock) back in place or the ride height will drop a bunch and the belly will drag. For even more droop you can unscrew the shock shaft end to extend the overall length.
The X1 suggests putting an o ring under the piston to limit the overall length so unscrewing the shock end will allow you to get some of that length back.
Try going to 2000w on the damper, even wipe it off a bit after working it a little, just barely noticeable is how I run my side damper.
I also run soft spring with very little preload on the center shock.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #7047
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Pod droop is adjusted by lenthening or shortening the center shock. You can get more droop by backing out the shock ballcup or removing a spacer/o-ring inside the shock if you have one. Reduce droop by doing the opposite. The easiest to do is backing out/screwing in the ballcup.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #7048
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Mr. Hammon beats me to it again. Ahaha.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #7049
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
Pod droop is adjusted by lenthening or shortening the center shock. You can get more droop by backing out the shock ballcup or removing a spacer/o-ring inside the shock if you have one. Reduce droop by doing the opposite. The easiest to do is backing out/screwing in the ballcup.
If the center T plate screw is snug, you may not even reach the full length of the shock but if the shock is just too short to begin with then yeh, go inside and remove spacer(s) or unscrew shock end.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #7050
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
If the center T plate screw is snug, you may not even reach the full length of the shock but if the shock is just too short to begin with then yeh, go inside and remove spacer(s) or unscrew shock end.
Yep you are correct. I notice I left out the center screw after but since you already mentioned it......it's not like people read my posts anyway.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 06:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 08:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 03:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 06:59 PM
IMPORTANT: New Product Arrival Alert! (June 2009) rcmart rcMart.com Mega Online R/C Marketplace 18 06-21-2009 10:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:45 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net