Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bee200sx
I'm having the same issues as a few ppl above, where at low speed the car is sweet but when I hit full throttle the car just spins and if i brake the car spins again. Has anyone got a setup that will get rid of this? Is it a weight issue as I am running li-po with the Hobbywing 35 amp speedy and 3000kv motor, but may move onto a 17.5 brushless setup? Can different tyres help, solve this? Or could it be a diff issue?

For those who have tried different compound tyres whats the best combo so far? And is it worth while to use tyre compound on the front and rears?
I ran Tamiya B fronts with A rears and it was a little better, even turn the expo to -30% but it's still very very unstable in a straight line on full throttle, I'm running Lipo with the Tamiya 12T motor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi, I use NASA traction compound in the rear, no compound in the front. hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bee200sx
I'm having the same issues as a few ppl above, where at low speed the car is sweet but when I hit full throttle the car just spins and if i brake the car spins again. Has anyone got a setup that will get rid of this? Is it a weight issue as I am running li-po with the Hobbywing 35 amp speedy and 3000kv motor, but may move onto a 17.5 brushless setup? Can different tyres help, solve this? Or could it be a diff issue?

For those who have tried different compound tyres whats the best combo so far? And is it worth while to use tyre compound on the front and rears?
You are not alone, i promise you.
I starting to believe it´s a weight issue, this car is constructed with a nimh stickpack, add as much weight as you can from the middle and forwarf of the car, mayebe a lipo weight plate.
We are trying har to solve this issue here in Sweden.
Would be great if somebody had a solution or some more functional answers, to set expo low is not an option.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

i am running a lrp x12 5.5t motor and had the same problem... i had to increase toe out in the front by a few degrees to get the car to accelerate in a straight line under heavy acceleration...

although since this is a rear wheel drive car you will have to accelrate differently than a 4wd car.. so spin outs do occur if i try to accelerate too fast from a stationary position..

also note that being a rwd car when i start to brake from very high speed i need to be mindful in applying the brakes.. too much brake too quickly will the spin the car because of rear wheel brake only...

this is the only thing i dont like about pan cars or rwd car in general that they do not provide front wheel braking... even rc motor cycles these days have front wheel braking such as the venom gpv-1
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InZane

WOW, excellent job. That has to be the cleanest install of a brushless system I’ve ever seen in an F1 car. I can’t wait to hear how the testing goes.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

guy with straight issues: have you tried some shock oil on the kingpins?

guys with pushing: tighten the dampner plate nut and tighten the shock collar, it really helps, also having semi small front tires with some rake in the car helps
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

@InZane:
Nice!
is it a sheet of lexan on your friction plate? what is it for?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by krat
@InZane:
Nice!
I believe that’s teflon tape, used to make the damper disks move more freely.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mounted the electronics today. Now everything is almost complete. I'm still waiting for blue aluminum body postsand o-rings for the Lipos. First tests will be Thursday next week if weather is OK.

Awesome work there my friend!

ps- the stickers are a nice touch too
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

I'm extremely flattered by all your kind comments - thanx!
Especially from you Vyger, you've inspired my work and set everyone's standard with your beautiful F104. I also owe other members like Alfie and robk for many good ideas.

I'm doing my first track tests this week and I'm a bit worried about the lack of rear flex. Side to side feels OK but up & down it's really stupid stiff (no wonder it's a handful in high speeds). I think it's one of the design flaws of the F104 (the asymmetric post is another) that the pivot point is to far back. I'm planning to move it to the front of the pivot post instead of behind it. This way the side to side movement will not be affected just the up&down. If I need to make it stiffer I can just change to a harder shock spring (white,yellow or blue). What I need to do is to make a carbon plate for the nut and drill a new hole in the T-bar 7-8mm in front of the old one (see pic).

@MikeR - yes I'm sure you liked the Exotek stickers. Why not produce a saddle pack conversion kit for the F104 with real pivot balls from AE.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by krat
@InZane:
Nice!

KOSE
http://rcmarket.com.hk/advanced_sear...eywords=k-5001
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I'm doing my first track tests this week and I'm a bit worried about the lack of rear flex. Side to side feels OK but up & down it's really stupid stiff (no wonder it's a handful in high speeds).
I was thinking the same so I've dug up some shock springs from way back and will try to go softer. Going to give the car a try this Sunday after racing to make sure the track is nice and rubbered up.

Will be interesting to hear how your car goes because you've got some really nice ideas going there!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Something I've been working on....

I hope to have its track debut after the TCS Nationals.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gtypecanare

I hope to have its track debut after the TCS Nationals.

very cool... i see you are using some kind of decals on the front and rear wings...to get the red paint... do you think it is possible to spray paint them?

the car looks very nice!!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

sickness!

I used tamiya lexan paint on the wing, after sanding the wing, and it looks sweet but peels easily. I am going to try the plastic paint next.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.