Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM
  #616  
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Everything's checked, below half throttle the cars track perfectly straight, but as soon you get up to full speed it gets uncontrollable sometimes, if you release the throttle it almost turn around... As soon as you get to a corner the handling is spot on, rear is so planted its unbelievable..

Its exactly the same symptoms as a crap servo but these aren't, ive tried with another BLS351 and a Sanwa/Airtronics ERG-VZ but still the same..
Specs atm:
Sanwa M11 running 2.4
InoLab D660 Digital servo (6.8kg, 0.08s)
LRP Sphere Comp ESC
Team Laje 17.5T, Geared 29/93

Alu motor mount is the only chassie hopup so far.

Basically stock setup but we've tried EVERYTHING, with/without center shock and without damper disc is two of the most extreme stuff we've tried but it's the same.. We also glued the bearings into the front wheels to minimize slop (yes, they still spin as before)..
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
  #617  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
bretthitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: hollywell
Posts: 284
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default servo

hi i am looking to buy a new servo for this car what servos have people got for this car thanks brett
bretthitman is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
  #618  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Everything's checked, below half throttle the cars track perfectly straight, but as soon you get up to full speed it gets uncontrollable sometimes, if you release the throttle it almost turn around... As soon as you get to a corner the handling is spot on, rear is so planted its unbelievable..

Its exactly the same symptoms as a crap servo but these aren't, ive tried with another BLS351 and a Sanwa/Airtronics ERG-VZ but still the same..
Specs atm:
Sanwa M11 running 2.4
InoLab D660 Digital servo (6.8kg, 0.08s)
LRP Sphere Comp ESC
Team Laje 17.5T, Geared 29/93

Alu motor mount is the only chassie hopup so far.

Basically stock setup but we've tried EVERYTHING, with/without center shock and without damper disc is two of the most extreme stuff we've tried but it's the same.. We also glued the bearings into the front wheels to minimize slop (yes, they still spin as before)..
Did you build the chassis on a flat surface?
Sound like a tweak issue, and since there are no tweak screws to adjust, it could be that the chassis has a slight tweak to it. Also check your front spring lengths as that can cause a drift as well
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
  #619  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palmdale
Posts: 3,658
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cheROK1212 View Post
btw, why have i not seen folks pushin idea of 21.5s to phase out cans (and thus can wars)? seem logical especially in consideration to VTA as well.
Hell yeah, and lets start speedo wars instead
v200=KERS!!!
I love this idea... I will be happy to never see another silver can again...
lightfoot is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
  #620  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Excuse my ignorance, but with all the different brushless systems out there, what/how would a standard for stock be teched? Tamiya has a motor or two, there are 17.5 and 21.5 that i see claim stock (same as 27T brush) etc. How would/is this teched?

I raced last in 1995, and im familiar with brushless in my planes but not on the new car technology.

So, I like the advantages of brushless, but keeping the cost down and class even in F1 with silver/black can motors i can see works.
RonF is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 AM
  #621  
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Did you build the chassis on a flat surface?
Sound like a tweak issue, and since there are no tweak screws to adjust, it could be that the chassis has a slight tweak to it. Also check your front spring lengths as that can cause a drift as well
Tweak and steering setup is the first thing i check when this sort of stuff happens with any car.. I just checked it with my scales to be sure, tweak is spot on..
The direction its taking off i completely random, sometimes its right and sometimes left, you could say its like the servos do not center even though theyre brand spanking new and works fine in my other cars which are a hell of a lot faster and heavier..
My friend has a theory that involves too little grip/downforce in the front, since the cars rear ends are so planted in lower speeds.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 AM
  #622  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
s13evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 361
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Tweak and steering setup is the first thing i check when this sort of stuff happens with any car.. I just checked it with my scales to be sure, tweak is spot on..
The direction its taking off i completely random, sometimes its right and sometimes left, you could say its like the servos do not center even though theyre brand spanking new and works fine in my other cars which are a hell of a lot faster and heavier..
My friend has a theory that involves too little grip/downforce in the front, since the cars rear ends are so planted in lower speeds.
servo saver!
s13evo is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 AM
  #623  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (39)
 
E-clip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 602
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Hello Just wondering what weight oil should I put in the shock for an outdoor asphalt track ??
And to get more rear end traction do I free up the Fiction plates by using a lighter diff grease ???
E-clip is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 AM
  #624  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
InZane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 267
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Mounted the electronics today. Now everything is almost complete. I'm still waiting for blue aluminum body postsand o-rings for the Lipos. First tests will be Thursday next week if weather is OK.







InZane is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 10:37 AM
  #625  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RossoTorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Euro-Thrash
Posts: 400
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by croz View Post
We are going to try the Hobby wing 13T, 35amp esc compo as a spec system for F1 here in London, Ont. We'll let you know how it goes.
We run them as spec for our F1 class here, and they work great.
A little faster than Sport tuned, but it's cheaper still. No need to change motor ever again. We have run them for a year now without fans on ESC. They had to be removed due to upper deck on the F103. Free batteries, hop-ups and tires.
All F103's run Zen tires, 38 shore fron and 35 shore rears. The Tamiya's for F104 is not as good as them. We have a medium short high traction carpet track.

Last edited by RossoTorro; 08-15-2009 at 06:22 PM.
RossoTorro is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM
  #626  
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Originally Posted by s13evo View Post
servo saver!
Which one? I've tried the stock one, epoxied stock one, 2 types of Kimbrough savers and just a solid servo arm paired with the Sanwa ERG-VZ (14kg 0.10 sec) and it still weaves.
Im starting to think our lipo packs is the reason, the cars loose around 200 grams so thats why theyre so strange to run. Ill get some lead and mount anywhere i find space.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
  #627  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
tjompa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Sparx questions is very important to get solved soon cause i am dealing with the exact same issues. No tweak, no bad savers and so on, the material is flawless but it has to be the missing weight of a nimh battery pack that causes this instability in "high" speeds. If somebody has some more ideas please drop them here.
tjompa is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 12:50 PM
  #628  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (13)
 
cheROK1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Noneyadammy
Posts: 571
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tjompa View Post
Sparx questions is very important to get solved soon cause i am dealing with the exact same issues. No tweak, no bad savers and so on, the material is flawless but it has to be the missing weight of a nimh battery pack that causes this instability in "high" speeds. If somebody has some more ideas please drop them here.
I don't know what position you have the rear wing at but try it in it's most upright position. What you may be getting is hella' rear downforce causing you to lose some of your steering.
cheROK1212 is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM
  #629  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
tjompa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cheROK1212 View Post
I don't know what position you have the rear wing at but try it in it's most upright position. What you may be getting is hella' rear downforce causing you to lose some of your steering.
I have maximal downforce on the wing and it doesnt work eiter, so does sparx.
But i cant call theese wings a wing cause the downforce that they delivers are close to zero.
tjompa is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 PM
  #630  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,267
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by InZane View Post
Mounted the electronics today. Now everything is almost complete. I'm still waiting for blue aluminum body postsand o-rings for the Lipos. First tests will be Thursday next week if weather is OK.








nice !
RC MARKET is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.