Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
When I added weight I copied Austin B. the TCS Finals winner and added the weight to the wings/trays to the electronics then mounted the elecs on top.

This was an effort to resemble the F103 cross chassis battery mounting position and we all know the F103 kicks the F104's ass.
+1 you will experience dramatic changes
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
+1 you will experience dramatic changes
I haven't added quite that much weight yet, but without a doubt, the extra weight with the right tyres has made the car actually fun to drive. Gap between 1st and 2nd last night at our club meet was under .5 seconds over 5 mins. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the fast guys weren't there.

Evening race, with ambient temps in the high teens (celcius), the RC4Less SS rears and the Tamiya B foams worked really well together. The RC4Less medium fronts have way too much grip and I can't find a rear to match them. Might have to try the hard compound...
Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
I haven't added quite that much weight yet, but without a doubt, the extra weight with the right tyres has made the car actually fun to drive. Gap between 1st and 2nd last night at our club meet was under .5 seconds over 5 mins. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the fast guys weren't there.

Evening race, with ambient temps in the high teens (celcius), the RC4Less SS rears and the Tamiya B foams worked really well together. The RC4Less medium fronts have way too much grip and I can't find a rear to match them. Might have to try the hard compound...
Always had the same problem with the front foams on the F103, too much steering with the HBR Mediums but no steering with the harder compounds.
Superglue dots on the front medium tires worked wonders and helped me be able to drive the snot out of the car.
The glue dots wear out too quickly so I cut tiny slots in the tire surface and dropped the glue into the slots and they were perfect as they would last several races and actually slowed tire wear significantly.
About 8 equally spaced slots around the outside 1/4 of the tire contact surface. That's where they wear quickest anyway and works great!
If still too grippy, slot and glue the inner 1/4 also.

Quick test some simple dots on your tires and see, it'll wear out quickly and if you don't like it then no harm is done to your tires. If you like it, cut some slots with the tips of small wire cutters or lexan body scissors.

I managed to be the foam F103 TCS Regional winner with this tire setup before they killed the class for the F104 "Parade" car class.
I still run this car with this setup at the UF1 Series races but that class is gettin killed there too next season.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Always had the same problem with the front foams on the F103, too much steering with the HBR Mediums but no steering with the harder compounds.
Superglue dots on the front medium tires worked wonders and helped me be able to drive the snot out of the car.
The glue dots wear out too quickly so I cut tiny slots in the tire surface and dropped the glue into the slots and they were perfect as they would last several races and actually slowed tire wear significantly.
About 8 equally spaced slots around the outside 1/4 of the tire contact surface. That's where they wear quickest anyway and works great!
If still too grippy, slot and glue the inner 1/4 also.

Quick test some simple dots on your tires and see, it'll wear out quickly and if you don't like it then no harm is done to your tires. If you like it, cut some slots with the tips of small wire cutters or lexan body scissors.

I managed to be the foam F103 TCS Regional winner with this tire setup before they killed the class for the F104 "Parade" car class.
I still run this car with this setup at the UF1 Series races but that class is gettin killed there too next season.
Thanks!
good advice and I will test it,
I had same problem with the Cross F1 foam wheels i recently bought.
too much steering.
/Johnny
Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Rookie

This is my F104 F60 with the basic options to make it PRO. Using pretty worn Tamiya rubber tyres and hobbywing 13T combo and before add weight. Thats how my car behave on our circuit. I need to improve curve pass, but with my little experience on hobby I think is more pilot problem than car. Hope you enjoy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks for sharing the vid
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Nice video!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Nice video and nice track!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

hello all

actually wanted to post a vid of my f104w, but not enough posts ->

i just read that "‎54331 F104X1 Upper Deck Rolling Damper Set" is coming, wonder if that is a full conversion set?

gonna have my first race this week -> hopefully i won't suck
Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Rookie

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

sry thought i can trick this system ;)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djaxy
hello all

actually wanted to post a vid of my f104w, but not enough posts ->

i just read that "‎54331 F104X1 Upper Deck Rolling Damper Set" is coming, wonder if that is a full conversion set?

gonna have my first race this week -> hopefully i won't suck
Fred mentioned the side damper parts were going to be available separately, so i would assume it's the short deck and damper..maybe the pod piece too?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djaxy
+ YouTube Video

sry thought i can trick this system
Now thats a big track... wow... where is it located ?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Fred mentioned the side damper parts were going to be available separately, so i would assume it's the short deck and damper..maybe the pod piece too?
Yes...everyting you want Probably be here in a month or four
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ubik77es
This is my F104 F60 with the basic options to make it PRO. Using pretty worn Tamiya rubber tyres and hobbywing 13T combo and before add weight. Thats how my car behave on our circuit. I need to improve curve pass, but with my little experience on hobby I think is more pilot problem than car. Hope you enjoy

+ YouTube Video
Great Video, Great track, where is that?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Yes...everyting you want Probably be here in a month or four
Maybe will be in blue, just for you Rod...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.