Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM
  #5401  
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,511
Default

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft View Post
hi Jeff this was the first option i put in when i first tried things out i have the 1.3 mm in mine and the rear end was heaps better and i have since been trying other buts and bobs and they all make a big difference with every small adjustments and tips from other people here
Hi. May I ask what other tips you might have.... I get my new Black Spec' Pro soon.

BM
British Menace is offline  
Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 PM
  #5402  
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,511
Default

Ok. My new black black F104 is on the way. :-) Along with some Shimitzu and Tamika tires. Some other stuff too. Got a great deal from the guy at TQRC Racing. Free shipping too!!

I'm going to going to Strictly RC Raceway on the 26th to try it out so if any of you local guys are going. I shall see you there. Hoping to take my TC too. Just encase no other F1. Cars turn out. .....
Come out to Strictly 26th June and race your F1 cars. I can pick up some tips off all then. :-)

BM
British Menace is offline  
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
  #5403  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

hello

i thought the car was pretty good out of the box but i was reading the thread asking questions. I have set mu car up to be running on the Tamiya rubber tires i use a red damper spring the heavy pivot post and 1.3mm t-bar 3 racing kit. tamiya split top deck. i use 20wt oil 3 hole piston and i use the ride hard front springs, my ride height is as standard 5mm as i race on a out door circuit and it has a 60m front straight with a 10 degree right hand sweeper so there is plenty of speed by the end of the straight and a 40 m back straight. and in areas can be a little bumpy for the F1 cars but yet it is a smooth track to if that makes sense

all these great tips i have been getting from the guys from the thread and they have been working a treat
mattwoodcraft is offline  
Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
  #5404  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: on the edge of insanity
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

matt, are you using the center screw on the t-plate? I haven't had a chance to try my car with the new setup yet, (no center screw) so I'm wondering how much I can compensate with the center shock/spring for the extra droop I notice without the center screw and O-ring in place.
Jeff D. is offline  
Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 PM
  #5405  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

my center screw is in i have not tried it with out it. i have set mine quiet lose though its pretty much flush with the nut
mattwoodcraft is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 AM
  #5406  
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,511
Default

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft View Post
hello

i thought the car was pretty good out of the box but i was reading the thread asking questions. I have set mu car up to be running on the Tamiya rubber tires i use a red damper spring the heavy pivot post and 1.3mm t-bar 3 racing kit. tamiya split top deck. i use 20wt oil 3 hole piston and i use the ride hard front springs, my ride height is as standard 5mm as i race on a out door circuit and it has a 60m front straight with a 10 degree right hand sweeper so there is plenty of speed by the end of the straight and a 40 m back straight. and in areas can be a little bumpy for the F1 cars but yet it is a smooth track to if that makes sense

all these great tips i have been getting from the guys from the thread and they have been working a treat
Hey thanks Matt for the tips. Just one question though ..... do you know what poundage the Red Tamiya spring is?
I take it to be prity soft?
Also, and excuse the ignorance here about the car. I don't get it until the weekend But does a softer T Bar or loosenning the centre screw give more droop to the rear then...... is that why I've heard people doing that?

BM

Last edited by British Menace; 06-15-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
British Menace is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
  #5407  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

a softer T-bar will give you more rear grip and the center screw is for fine tuning it aids in making it stiffer or allow the t-bar to flex more, this is my experience anyway.

i don't know if it will give you more droop the 2 tracks i race at require the center screw to be adjust differently.
mattwoodcraft is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
  #5408  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by g12314 View Post
Here is a good starting point for Foam Carpet:
http://rcf1blog.blogspot.com/2011/03...tup-sheet.html

Jimmy
hi

thanks for the tips on set up for carpet my car was on rails so much rear grip the only thing was i lacked a little speed.
TQ and finish 3rd overall i was running my sports tuned and the some of the others 10.5 and 17.5

i think i will put my brushless in 13.5 for next time
mattwoodcraft is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
  #5409  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,044
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Also, and excuse the ignorance here about the car. I don't get it until the weekend But does a softer T Bar or loosenning the centre screw give more droop to the rear then...... is that why I've heard people doing that?

BM
Droop is not really what that mod is concerned with.

The kit t bar and the "soft" t bar don't allow much articulation, and generally make the car kinda sucky. To remedy this, locally, we started removing the center adjusting screw and let the t bar flop free. To maintain ride height, a foam donut was glued on the same spot as the screw hole (Associated TC5 shock rebuilds have the perfect foam.). This made the car much better.

Now with the "high traction" tbar, which has the U shaped cutout, this is not 100% necessary. If I where racing non Tamiya races/rules, I would probably run the kit or soft tbar with no screw. I think the car makes more traction without the screw. The "high traction" tbar is close, but I like no screw even better.

Sometimes, when you want to reduce the car from over rotating, the soft T bar with the screw adjusted loosely can be helpful. That would be good for big tracks with a lot of sweeping corners, not really any hairpins.
robk is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 PM
  #5410  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
g12314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL.
Posts: 1,294
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft View Post
hi

thanks for the tips on set up for carpet my car was on rails so much rear grip the only thing was i lacked a little speed.
TQ and finish 3rd overall i was running my sports tuned and the some of the others 10.5 and 17.5

i think i will put my brushless in 13.5 for next time
Glad it worked well . I know Rob's car was fast at our TCS Race and appeared easy to drive.

Jimmy
g12314 is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
  #5411  
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,511
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
Droop is not really what that mod is concerned with.

The kit t bar and the "soft" t bar don't allow much articulation, and generally make the car kinda sucky. To remedy this, locally, we started removing the center adjusting screw and let the t bar flop free. To maintain ride height, a foam donut was glued on the same spot as the screw hole (Associated TC5 shock rebuilds have the perfect foam.). This made the car much better.

Now with the "high traction" tbar, which has the U shaped cutout, this is not 100% necessary. If I where racing non Tamiya races/rules, I would probably run the kit or soft tbar with no screw. I think the car makes more traction without the screw. The "high traction" tbar is close, but I like no screw even better.

Sometimes, when you want to reduce the car from over rotating, the soft T bar with the screw adjusted loosely can be helpful. That would be good for big tracks with a lot of sweeping corners, not really any hairpins.
Isee ..... thanks. Good info' to have. May get the High Traction one to compare to the "screw out" stock item.
Also, was meaning to ask before. The Tamiya 'Red' spring some are using. Is that the 10Lb one? I seen a few 'Red' springs and wasn't sure. There was a 6Lb one too??
Which do you use.
Also. 20wt shock in 3 hole pistons is VERY light. I've never used such thin oil. Has anyone tried more holes and slightly thicker oil? Was thinking of 4 hole and 3 wt??
Using such thin oil wouldn't you get some "seapage" around the shock piston?

Lots of questions I know, but I've never had a Tamiya car, never an F1 or pan car and ran Nitro TC for over 15 years ... lol

You could say I'm comming out of my comfort zone ! hahaha

BM
British Menace is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM
  #5412  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,044
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Isee ..... thanks. Good info' to have. May get the High Traction one to compare to the "screw out" stock item.
Also, was meaning to ask before. The Tamiya 'Red' spring some are using. Is that the 10Lb one? I seen a few 'Red' springs and wasn't sure. There was a 6Lb one too??
Which do you use.
Also. 20wt shock in 3 hole pistons is VERY light. I've never used such thin oil. Has anyone tried more holes and slightly thicker oil? Was thinking of 4 hole and 3 wt??
Using such thin oil wouldn't you get some "seapage" around the shock piston?

Lots of questions I know, but I've never had a Tamiya car, never an F1 or pan car and ran Nitro TC for over 15 years ... lol

You could say I'm comming out of my comfort zone ! hahaha

BM
Not sure on the red spring...I use either the Short Black spring set (#42168) red or a Fluorescent Mini Car(#53333??) red spring, both are short and very soft. The "red" spring that comes with the pro cars is a touring car spring from the white hard set I think. Either way it's really a bit too long and a bit stiff.

The spring that a lot of people also like is off one of the older mini cars, it's silver and has a ton of coils, pretty soft.

I run the shock pretty thin on asphalt.
robk is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM
  #5413  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,906
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

A few of us are into the super slinky gold spring from the Miata mini kit.
Sup MrK?
Killin it out there I see.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
  #5414  
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,511
Default

Ok. Thank you for the info'. It will help in trying this car out alot!
Any of you able to go to Strictly Rc on the 26th June?

I'll be in the area and will have my car with me to try out.

BM
British Menace is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
  #5415  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,044
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
A few of us are into the super slinky gold spring from the Miata mini kit.
Sup MrK?
Killin it out there I see.
That's what i'm thinking of..gold. Thanks Cuda

I'm gonna try and race with the big boys out your way again this year
robk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.