Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
  #4936  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kapiti, New Zealand
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TWILL View Post
I have Venom 7.4 6400 2c, what isnt fitting in is the piece that keeps the battery from moving forward. I have cut it and think that it will be fine.
I run Speed Power 5800 lipos in my EXO104 and the way I did mine was to shim the top plate up by 1mm thus allowing the lipo to slide under the front brace snugly.
Bumpy is offline  
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM
  #4937  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Can you fit F104 kit rubber tire/rims on a F103?
hey mike - in case I mis-read what you tped earlier, you can use the F104 tires on the F103...backs will fit fine, fronts will need different bearings...

in the event you meant F104 rubber on F103 rims, then see my other post
k_bojar is offline  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
  #4938  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,755
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
hey mike - in case I mis-read what you tped earlier, you can use the F104 tires on the F103...backs will fit fine, fronts will need different bearings...

in the event you meant F104 rubber on F103 rims, then see my other post
thanks, yes I did mean the entire rim/tire combo, but its good to know both situations anyway.
MikeXray is offline  
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
  #4939  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

Here's mine:


FF in the back


Underside of body bent inwards


Carbon Fibre Look (painted of course)


Carbon Fibre Look


HPI helmet, black belt bucle and straps


Carbon steering wheel


Opened up airbox


Gurney flap and some James Hunt humor here. Official F1 should all be 180mm! A 200mm class should fall under a classic cars only rule.


Opened up exhaust and motor temp sticker


Real (plexi)glas mirrors


I hate the original blue color and the black edition wasn't out yet so it's anodized black (that's why you don't see the camber #s)


LW body lightened on the glued overlapping


Front underside left clear. lightweight aluminium and magnesium screws here


Heat sink with very small fins for bigger cooling surface and low CG


Alu M2 screws


What you don't see are the ceramic bearings inside the servo


MRT PTX transponder


2 Bad the + batterywire isn't black and I forgot to use a black spring


Did I mention I hate blue


Inboard antenna


Low profile wheel nut, 850 bearing adapter and abec7 ceramics


Shaved down motor wires


Beveled chassis


Shaved down screws


Sanded and polished chassis






Last edited by The Big Wig; 04-19-2011 at 12:46 AM.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
  #4940  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Default

Very impressive!

On a side note im thinking of getting the mclaren MP4/5 F104W. Anyone got pics of this?
kb525 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 AM
  #4941  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by kb525 View Post
Very impressive!

On a side note im thinking of getting the mclaren MP4/5 F104W. Anyone got pics of this?
That's a very nice car (Big Senna fan). It is however a wide car. This handels better (duh) but is not really a car your can compete fairly with modern looking F1's. Going parking lot, just for fun or want to run a classic F1. Go for it. Want to do real competition go for the McLaren MP4-24.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 AM
  #4942  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
kmichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: land O lakes,Fla.
Posts: 1,722
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Very nice,a true F1 fan glad it's not red
kmichael is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 AM
  #4943  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by kmichael View Post
Very nice,a true F1 fan glad it's not red
Tru that. The first Ferrari was yellow
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
  #4944  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
That's a very nice car (Big Senna fan). It is however a wide car. This handels better (duh) but is not really a car your can compete fairly with modern looking F1's. Going parking lot, just for fun or want to run a classic F1. Go for it. Want to do real competition go for the McLaren MP4-24.
Yea itll be a just for fun car. Im getting tired of taking my nitro apart every time I want to go from drift to grip and the extra things to watch out for on a nitro.
Im thinking of runing it 3 cell lipo for fun, I have a ESC thats older than I am lying around for a dragster my dad had runing 12cell nimh back in the day.
kb525 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
  #4945  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by kb525 View Post
Yea itll be a just for fun car. Im getting tired of taking my nitro apart every time I want to go from drift to grip and the extra things to watch out for on a nitro.
Im thinking of runing it 3 cell lipo for fun, I have a ESC thats older than I am lying around for a dragster my dad had runing 12cell nimh back in the day.
With real cars 2/3 of the downforce comes from the underside of the chassis. Small model cars it is 100% from above. Model F1 cars have the smallest wings and least downforce of them all. Altough a 90s F1 has bigger wings then modern F1s it is still far to little to go for speed records. 3 cells will be overkill. RC F1 is all about agility and driving on the tip of your toes while having great looking cars.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 AM
  #4946  
Tech Apprentice
 
orci77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 86
Default

@The Big Wig:
Very nice car. AND also a very nice photo series!
orci77 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM
  #4947  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
With real cars 2/3 of the downforce comes from the underside of the chassis. Small model cars it is 100% from above. Model F1 cars have the smallest wings and least downforce of them all. Altough a 90s F1 has bigger wings then modern F1s it is still far to little to go for speed records. 3 cells will be overkill. RC F1 is all about agility and driving on the tip of your toes while having great looking cars.
Like i said its a lot basher. The esc has control over how much full throtle range is so I can dial it down. Im mostly thinking that route since I have a bunch of these small 3 cell lipos from airplanes that almost never fly due to wind.
kb525 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
  #4948  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default wow indeed

Love the photo series, a lot of detail in a relatively small car for sure!!
Most of us racers, well speaking for myself, dont spend a lot of time or energy into that much detail just to keep the amount of wincing on the driver stand to a minimum. I must say though after a full race day and a bunch of practicing the body on my f104frp is holding up very well and I got it used in a trade from here.
JoeD. is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
  #4949  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

here's a (possibly) dumb question....

has any been able to notice a camber different when running the aluminum piece that tamiya makes?? i'm asking because the screw goes straight up no matter that setting you choose - and after seeing the part 3racing makes, it kinda made me go 'hmmmm'
k_bojar is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
  #4950  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,135
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
here's a (possibly) dumb question....

has any been able to notice a camber different when running the aluminum piece that tamiya makes?? i'm asking because the screw goes straight up no matter that setting you choose - and after seeing the part 3racing makes, it kinda made me go 'hmmmm'
What do you mean? That the camber is different to the same setting with the plastic piece, or that you are not getting different cambers at different settings? I have the aluminum part and it does add and remove camber.
robk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.