Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
  #4591  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The track
Posts: 1,341
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Hi guys - I'm getting ready to buy the F104 Pro. I wanted to know what the main differences are between the Pro and the Black edition. With the obvious difference out of the way (black anodized alum parts) what else is different?

Tamiya USA's site had the following items listed under Options for the Black Edition. Doesn't the regular Pro (Blue) version come with some of these option parts?

Carbon Upper & Lower Decks
Hi-Torque Servo Saver
04 Module Spur Gear
4mm Aluminum Lock Nuts (Black)
1280 Sealed Ball Bearing
1150 Sealed Ball Bearing
1060 Sealed Ball Bearing
F104 Aluminum Diff. Housing Set (Black)
F104 Aluminum Motor Mount (Black) - I think this isn't included in the PRO
F104 Carbon Rear Shaft
0.4 Steel Pinion Gear Set
5x5mm Hard Hex Head Ball Connector
Carbon Reinforced Front Upright
Carbon Friction Plate
4mm Anodized Alu. Flange Lock Nut (Black)
TRF Damper (Black)
F104 Aluminum Pivot Post (Black) - I think this isn't included in the PRO

I actually perfer the regular Pro (Blue) version, so I'm interested in what is not included so I can upgrade the PRO (BLUE) version to be comparable to the Black edition.

Thanks.
John.C is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
  #4592  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 876
Default

Does anybody know what difference it could give between the new seperate upper deck and the standard upper deck of the F104 PRO?
addicted2blue is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
  #4593  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Abu Salahuddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore, CCK
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The new upper deck will help the chassis to have a little bit of flex. This will aid in you having an improve traction. More suitable for low grip asphalt on rubber.
Abu Salahuddin is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM
  #4594  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (69)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,640
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

edit
Dan is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 04:13 AM
  #4595  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,021
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by double_green View Post
Hi guys - I'm getting ready to buy the F104 Pro. I wanted to know what the main differences are between the Pro and the Black edition. With the obvious difference out of the way (black anodized alum parts) what else is different?

Tamiya USA's site had the following items listed under Options for the Black Edition. Doesn't the regular Pro (Blue) version come with some of these option parts?

Carbon Upper & Lower Decks
Hi-Torque Servo Saver
04 Module Spur Gear
4mm Aluminum Lock Nuts (Black)
1280 Sealed Ball Bearing
1150 Sealed Ball Bearing
1060 Sealed Ball Bearing
F104 Aluminum Diff. Housing Set (Black)
F104 Aluminum Motor Mount (Black) - I think this isn't included in the PRO
F104 Carbon Rear Shaft
0.4 Steel Pinion Gear Set
5x5mm Hard Hex Head Ball Connector
Carbon Reinforced Front Upright
Carbon Friction Plate
4mm Anodized Alu. Flange Lock Nut (Black)
TRF Damper (Black)
F104 Aluminum Pivot Post (Black) - I think this isn't included in the PRO

I actually perfer the regular Pro (Blue) version, so I'm interested in what is not included so I can upgrade the PRO (BLUE) version to be comparable to the Black edition.

Thanks.
the biggest thing i know of is that the black edition includes the aluminum parts - pivot post and the motor housing...both of those are options that had to be bought separately with the other Pro Kit...but other then that, they look the same - well othen then the stuff being in black, like the damper and diff bits, nuts
k_bojar is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 AM
  #4596  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 876
Default

Originally Posted by Abu Salahuddin View Post
The new upper deck will help the chassis to have a little bit of flex. This will aid in you having an improve traction. More suitable for low grip asphalt on rubber.
Thx for the info
I guess it's not recommended for high traction carpet tracks.
addicted2blue is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 AM
  #4597  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,243
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I do, but it needs to be ground shipped
BP SHADOW: do you have the mclaren body and paint in stock?
gsxr0311 is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
  #4598  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Default

Question for yall F104 bashers. How do these run with 3 cells? I have a metric ****-ton of 3 cell and 1 4 cell lipos for airplanes, they may be able to fit. Im not serious racer and just want an F1 car to drive.
kb525 is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
  #4599  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The track
Posts: 1,341
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
the biggest thing i know of is that the black edition includes the aluminum parts - pivot post and the motor housing...both of those are options that had to be bought separately with the other Pro Kit...but other then that, they look the same - well othen then the stuff being in black, like the damper and diff bits, nuts
Thanks K_bojar. That's what I thought/was hoping for. I went ahead and purchased the PRO and some (ok all) blue bling to go with it. I also picked up a High traction T-bar, option hard (front) and soft (rear) tires, and low friction ball set. I'll probably pickup a soft T-bar and kit front tires as well.

I'm in the process of building it now and will be testing and tuning for the TCS event #161 in Frederick, MD (high bite indoor asphalt track). I appears that these are a handful in the straight. I guess at the end of the day it'll come down to the right inserts in the rear to get the desired handling. If anyone is willing to share their winning insert combo I'm listening.
John.C is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
  #4600  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gsxr0311 View Post
BP SHADOW: do you have the mclaren body and paint in stock?
Yes I do, I can ship them to you for $50
PM me if you want them
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
  #4601  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

By the way for all the F1 guys out there I have a shipment of parts on the way, stock parts, Hop ups 103 and 104
Will post a list in the next couple of days
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 AM
  #4602  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Abu Salahuddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore, CCK
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
Thx for the info
I guess it's not recommended for high traction carpet tracks.
Yep if you already have traction you do not need the option top deck.
Abu Salahuddin is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 AM
  #4603  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,447
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
Thx for the info
I guess it's not recommended for high traction carpet tracks.
Why not?
Arahawak is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 AM
  #4604  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,447
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by double_green View Post
Thanks K_bojar. That's what I thought/was hoping for. I went ahead and purchased the PRO and some (ok all) blue bling to go with it. I also picked up a High traction T-bar, option hard (front) and soft (rear) tires, and low friction ball set. I'll probably pickup a soft T-bar and kit front tires as well.

I'm in the process of building it now and will be testing and tuning for the TCS event #161 in Frederick, MD (high bite indoor asphalt track). I appears that these are a handful in the straight. I guess at the end of the day it'll come down to the right inserts in the rear to get the desired handling. If anyone is willing to share their winning insert combo I'm listening.
I think tamiya f1 tires only have 1 type of insert.. if you are running TCS.

Depends on the track you are running, its pretty much between the option soft rear and option hard front and the stock tires. Not much choice.

Maybe the TCS F1 gurus can share more info.. here in Asia the TAC as we called it, the track is pretty low-medium traction. We mainly run tamiya soft rear and medium (stock) front.
Arahawak is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 AM
  #4605  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
HeliYogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,199
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default F104W Mystery

I don't understand what is up with the release of tree more F104W kits:

- Ferrari 643
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...i643/index.htm
- Mclaren
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...aren/index.htm
- Mclarean
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...n_mp/index.htm

In Japan, Tamiya has a separate TCS class for the W's but is there option tires and TCS parts? I Have not seen them? Were is this leading up too?

Sell the F104?
Bring the F103 out of the box and mix it up with the F104?
Get a F104W and mix up using F103 tires?

I ran the race before last at TQ (F1 winter series) close to 15 or more cars. Only two F104Pro (me and Mark), the rest went back to the F103.

Anyone has info on this mystery?

Cheers, Marcos
HeliYogi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.