Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
  #4546  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I gotta go with foam for F1s.

Rubber is slow, not just slower but slow, F1 racing is not supposed to be slow.
Save the rubber for lookin at.

Foam is super fast and the compounds available help to keep it that way.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
  #4547  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,069
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I would say for the TCS races, they didn't run rubber at the carpet tracks because the tires picked up a lot of carpet fiber as they heated up. This lead to no grip at about 1 minute in.

Rubber seemed to be popular for asphalt.

Rubber tires that work properly on carpet would probably be popular. I know TQ in California carries them, but they are generally hard to get.
robk is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
  #4548  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,243
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I gotta go with foam for F1s.

Rubber is slow, not just slower but slow, F1 racing is not supposed to be slow.
Save the rubber for lookin at.

Foam is super fast and the compounds available help to keep it that way.
i hear ya, foam is fast. i just hate when a tamiya gets chunked. the rubbers do look good and you dont have to keep changing your rollout.
gsxr0311 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM
  #4549  
Tech Adept
 
F1Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 235
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
The Trackside TCS had a good turn out for both classes, f103 and f104 on foam. They didn't bother with rubber.
whoa! They ran F103 and F104 at the TCS race? I thought it all F104 in 2011. I'm trying to get enough F104's to come to the TCS at Coliseum to run both classes.

So far this year, everybody is running rubber. No foam to be seen and it is freezing outside. Where are all the foam guys? Up at Horsham? Come on out and play.
F1Jet is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
  #4550  
Tech Adept
 
F1Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 235
Default

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I gotta go with foam for F1s.

Rubber is slow, not just slower but slow, F1 racing is not supposed to be slow.
Save the rubber for lookin at.

Foam is super fast and the compounds available help to keep it that way.
Fast? That brings up a good question: what's the average speed of the cars in races at your local track?

With the silver cans, I've seen a lot of 20 mph races. That's low speed work in my opinion, no where near the maxima.

I think the upcoming race in Texas will be all about speed as there are no motor limits in some classes. But the crashes will be huge at those speeds.
F1Jet is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
  #4551  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F1Jet View Post
whoa! They ran F103 and F104 at the TCS race? I thought it all F104 in 2011. I'm trying to get enough F104's to come to the TCS at Coliseum to run both classes.

So far this year, everybody is running rubber. No foam to be seen and it is freezing outside. Where are all the foam guys? Up at Horsham? Come on out and play.
Count me in!!! Foam. I'm dragging three others with me
gashuffer is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
  #4552  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
The Trackside TCS had a good turn out for both classes, f103 and f104 on foam. They didn't bother with rubber.
Speaking of Rob, what tires will be run at the Illinois race? I have my 104 working petty well on the rubbers, but I can switch to foams, I would prefer rubber though.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
  #4553  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,069
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F1Jet View Post
whoa! They ran F103 and F104 at the TCS race? I thought it all F104 in 2011. I'm trying to get enough F104's to come to the TCS at Coliseum to run both classes.

So far this year, everybody is running rubber. No foam to be seen and it is freezing outside. Where are all the foam guys? Up at Horsham? Come on out and play.
This was last year. Trackside is a dirt track now.
robk is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
  #4554  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,069
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Speaking of Rob, what tires will be run at the Illinois race? I have my 104 working petty well on the rubbers, but I can switch to foams, I would prefer rubber though.
I don't know for sure. Nebraska is foam only. I have run rubber at that track, and it seems better than a lot of other places. Are you getting a lot of fibers on your tires running carpet?
robk is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 PM
  #4555  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F1Jet View Post
Fast? That brings up a good question: what's the average speed of the cars in races at your local track?

With the silver cans, I've seen a lot of 20 mph races. That's low speed work in my opinion, no where near the maxima.

I think the upcoming race in Texas will be all about speed as there are no motor limits in some classes. But the crashes will be huge at those speeds.
If you saw the video I snuck in one of these threads of the A Main at TCS Aliso Regionals it had a "speedtrap" sign at the end of the straight.
Most of the F1s with silvercans were gettin 27 to 28 mph, one of em (cough ) triggered some 31 mph laps.
Motor was legal, gearing is key.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
  #4556  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Okay, in case you missed it, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHDrI2iL41A
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
  #4557  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,243
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

anybody run rubber with the exotek chassis? if so how is it?
gsxr0311 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM
  #4558  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,243
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

why does tamiya say they are coming out with 4 new f104s and the show no picture?

im suprised they are coming out with 3 f104ws. the f104 sure does look way better than the 103. looks like the f104 is here to stay, even though they are coming out with another f103.

how is tamiya going to manage 3 diffirent chassis types in the upcoming tsc races?
gsxr0311 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 PM
  #4559  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Warsaw Indiana
Posts: 2,312
Trader Rating: 58 (94%+)
Default

any one know where i can order a exotek chassie and alum motor mounts from the same place. was going to order from stormer hobbies but they dont have the chassie in stock..
tcb22185 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
  #4560  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 5,587
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tcb22185 View Post
any one know where i can order a exotek chassie and alum motor mounts from the same place. was going to order from stormer hobbies but they dont have the chassie in stock..

Stormer should have them in stock by Thurs, thanks!
MikeR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.