Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
  #3526  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
tunerjetta29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 690
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I have looked at their site everyday since we talked at the track and they were never listed on their site. Unless they sold them through a physical store? I sent them an email Monday and never got a response. Nonetheless my brother and I certainly want to buy two the second you have the next batch ready!
tunerjetta29 is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 02:59 PM
  #3527  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (14)
 
aussierevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 905
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Got to run the Exotek conversion kit for the F104 yesterday,and I must say it was a good first outing.

With very little prep time on the car, on an outdoor asphalt low grip dusty track when all the drivers (namely corallys) complained of vary grip conditions throughout the day, out of the box I was 0.3 second away from my previous fastest laps when the track was in much better condition grip wise. I played with the ride height in the rear a little by increasing it,and that changed the car for the better.

I ran with tamiya rubbers all round as I have all year. I struggled with the car mid corner on sweepers, and I felt I lost time because of the amount of understeer I got, but when I figure out what adjustments to make to get better mid point turn in on the sweeping corners, and get used to how the car feels when driving, then I will be quicker and more consistent.

Must say, if you are thinking of getting, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by aussierevo; 10-23-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spell
aussierevo is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 PM
  #3528  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,243
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aussierevo View Post
Got to run the Exotek conversion kit for the F104 yesterday,and I must say it was a good first outing.

With very little prep time on the car, on an outdoor asphalt low grip dusty track when all the drivers (namely corallys) complained of vary grip conditions throughout the day, out of the box I was 0.3 second away from my previous fastest laps when the track was in much better condition grip wise. I played with the ride height in the rear a little by increasing it,and that changed the car for the better.

I ran with tamiya rubbers all round as I have all year. I struggled with the car mid corner on sweepers, and I felt I lost time because of the amount of understeer I got, but when I figure out what adjustments to make to get better mid point turn in on the sweeping corners, and get used to how the car feels when driving, then I will be quicker and more consistent.

Must say, if you are thinking of getting, you will not be disappointed.
NICE!

so you raised the ride height and it got better or did you lower it?
what was it at and what did you end with? thanks.

i only did one qualifier with mines before we got rained out last week. during that qual i traction rolled two times. i had med fronts and option tamiya rears (both foam tires) the car felt good, way better than stock. hopefully our race next weekend we wont get rained out and ill have some more info.

anybody else try the exotek on foams?
gsxr0311 is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 PM
  #3529  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (14)
 
aussierevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 905
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

i increased the ride height from 4mm to 5mm,and I'm running the front at 6mm, which I didn't play with, but I'm thinking I might be right. I will try it again next week and maybe the front springs as well to help improve the steering.

I think my problem with mid corner turning could be related to my diff, as I believe if it's too tight, it does cause understeer...but I need to research more to get a better steering feel all round.
aussierevo is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 PM
  #3530  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
yourstruly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oc
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I just picked up some Shimiz. What side is the outside our inside? One side is thicker then the other.
yourstruly22 is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 06:51 PM
  #3531  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,243
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yourstruly22 View Post
I just picked up some Shimiz. What side is the outside our inside? One side is thicker then the other.
do they mount on the foam wheel? if so the the thicker part is for the outside of the wheel.
gsxr0311 is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM
  #3532  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
yourstruly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oc
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

do they mount on the foam wheel? if so the the thicker part is for the outside of the wheel.

Yes they do mount on the foam wheels. Thanks!
yourstruly22 is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
  #3533  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Kinda bummed. I bought 2 Peak Racing 2 cell packs like the Team Orion Rockets and they do not fit. I can't get the battery clip in Does anyone run the Team Orion packs? Do they fit properly? Waste of 110 bucks.
gashuffer is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 07:52 PM
  #3534  
Tech Master
 
kdeselms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,019
Default

I remember needing to shave off the plastic on part of the battery clip to get it to go in, on my Thunder Power...but I built the battery into the chassis, not planning on swapping it out. If the LiPo decides to puff...buhbye, F104
kdeselms is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 PM
  #3535  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gashuffer View Post
Kinda bummed. I bought 2 Peak Racing 2 cell packs like the Team Orion Rockets and they do not fit. I can't get the battery clip in Does anyone run the Team Orion packs? Do they fit properly? Waste of 110 bucks.
Same here. I run an Orion 4000 Rocket Pack. To use the clip you have to mod the plastic bracket. Grind it down. Or, you can skip the bracket and clip and route the wires straight up through the notches in the upper deck. The battery is nice and snug that way and the wires are completely clear of the body. The downside is that you pretty much have to charge in the car as it's a PITA to take the battery out. Or...you can cut a foam wedge that fits between the battery and the servo to hold the battery in. I've done all three, and yes, I wish the battery just fit with the bracket. I also wish Tamiya would come to grips with lipo's. But, until then...Go Blue!
PutAwayWet is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM
  #3536  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Even with the battery wires through the top plate the battery still shifts forward and grinding down the clips pretty much makes it useless because you will need to remove the part that holds the battery in. I'm tempted to just gear up and run 6 cell. I only need 5 mins

Last edited by gashuffer; 10-23-2010 at 08:52 PM.
gashuffer is offline  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 PM
  #3537  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Anyone truing down their foams? I went to a carpet track today and the kit foams are sooo sticky, way to much grip both front and rear. At first they worked great for about 2 laps then forget it. I glued the side walls 5 times and still nothing worked. I just need some push

Last edited by gashuffer; 10-24-2010 at 06:35 AM.
gashuffer is offline  
Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 PM
  #3538  
Tech Master
iTrader: (55)
 
hanzo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,293
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Where can I get the F60 body besides being shipped from asia?
hanzo3 is offline  
Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 PM
  #3539  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Where can I get the F60 body besides being shipped from asia?
I've got one I can spare, PM me and we can figure out the logistics
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 AM
  #3540  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Anyone ever tested the difference between the soft T-bar and the high traction one?

Did the high traction T-bar offer considerably more traction?
mr lee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.