Tech Master

Originally Posted by Arahawak
picture!!
Lazy to build ...!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Just collected my F60 Birthday gift..
Massive favour please. Could you measure the wheels for me. I am trying to find out if the HPI 'Bridgestone' tyres will fit them.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, I just picked up a 104 and I am having an issue with stripping spur gears. I have mashed 2 of them now. It appears the motor keeps moving. I have wrenched the motor screws down as hard as I can but it still seems to move enough to strip.

I am using the plastic bulkhead and have the the aluminum bracket on the outside. The spur seems a little "wobbly" in the diff. Is that normal? What can I do to stop stripping spur gears?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lazy to build ...!!!
I wanna see the parts... tires, front and rear wings...etc....

do the tires feel soft and usable or hard and toylike?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ckaspar
Hey guys, I just picked up a 104 and I am having an issue with stripping spur gears. I have mashed 2 of them now. It appears the motor keeps moving. I have wrenched the motor screws down as hard as I can but it still seems to move enough to strip.

I am using the plastic bulkhead and have the the aluminum bracket on the outside. The spur seems a little "wobbly" in the diff. Is that normal? What can I do to stop stripping spur gears?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure why I keep reading about stripped gears, but here's what I know.
The "wobbles" are normal, what I've done was fine tune that inner nut. Not too tight, but enough to minimize my "wobble". To insure I did just that, I press against the spur gear, give the motor a little gas and just repeat pressing until you see it straighten out. I have my wheele off for all these tests. Next is my pressure between the spur gear & the pinion. I was taught that you only need like .005 in between gears. Press your trigger & you should hear just a fine hum (not from your motor). Fine tune that by just snuggin down the first motor bolt, Leaving the top bolt loose you should easily be able to move back n forth the motor, hence, fine tuning your gap between gears. Once you got your desired hum & bite (tire wise), just tighten up that top bolt, follow through with that second, DONE. Follow?

With this you should'nt have any issues. I'm still running my kit spur gears. I just follow the above EVERY TIME I get done running. In fact, my opinion is I'm just warmming 'em up, cause now I'm a true contender, just carvin my lines and have'nt even thought about burnin my gears. So I hope this helps my brotha F104er.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I haven't had any spur gear issues with my F104. I never used the plastic motor mount, so that may make a difference.

To get a good mesh between the spur and the pinion, some people place a piece of paper between the two, then tighten down the motor.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default F104 with 1S Lipo

Here are the pictures of my F104 with 1S Lipo...
Next is 13.5 or 10.5
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-dsc00579.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-dsc00580.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-dsc00581.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-dsc00582.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just collected my F60 Birthday gift..
Ooooh, where'd you get that!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I seem to have accidently purchased an open wheel car as well.... Mr Sharpe.... Game On ! Old School Xipp style blue and white !
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casey
I seem to have accidently purchased an open wheel car as well.... Mr Sharpe.... Game On ! Old School Xipp style blue and white !
There's nothing accidental about you purchasing Tamiya cars.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

forum fodder: Front and Rear diameter 42.5mm, fronts are 30mm wide, rear are 35mm wide. Not sure whether they are a fit for the HPI. I've not seen them before.

akura2: Parts are like the normal 103 kits. Fibre chassis top & bottom. Plastics are like from the F104Pro. Tires wont give you the best grip, compound feels like those from the stock TA05 tires. But for bashing around, they are ok. Lets wait for the type A & Bs.

Greg Sharpe: Got it from the Singapore distributor.

Definitely a kit for the Ferrari fan.

Oh and some pics for your enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-dsc00200.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-dsc00201.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Adept

forum fodder: Front and Rear diameter 42.5mm, fronts are 30mm wide, rear are 35mm wide. Not sure whether they are a fit for the HPI. I've not seen them before.
Thanks for that. I have a set of the HPI Bridgestone tyres, so i can work out if they will fit from that.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa
I'm not sure why I keep reading about stripped gears, but here's what I know.
The "wobbles" are normal, what I've done was fine tune that inner nut. Not too tight, but enough to minimize my "wobble". To insure I did just that, I press against the spur gear, give the motor a little gas and just repeat pressing until you see it straighten out. I have my wheele off for all these tests. Next is my pressure between the spur gear & the pinion. I was taught that you only need like .005 in between gears. Press your trigger & you should hear just a fine hum (not from your motor). Fine tune that by just snuggin down the first motor bolt, Leaving the top bolt loose you should easily be able to move back n forth the motor, hence, fine tuning your gap between gears. Once you got your desired hum & bite (tire wise), just tighten up that top bolt, follow through with that second, DONE. Follow?

With this you should'nt have any issues. I'm still running my kit spur gears. I just follow the above EVERY TIME I get done running. In fact, my opinion is I'm just warmming 'em up, cause now I'm a true contender, just carvin my lines and have'nt even thought about burnin my gears. So I hope this helps my brotha F104er.
Originally Posted by Geppetto
I haven't had any spur gear issues with my F104. I never used the plastic motor mount, so that may make a difference.

To get a good mesh between the spur and the pinion, some people place a piece of paper between the two, then tighten down the motor.
Thanks for the tips guys. I have been doing all of that, unfortunately. Perhaps I should have also said that from time to time the motor will also move toward the spur gear and bind it up. I have run a lot of offroad and taken some big hits and never had the motor move so much. With the F104 it seems that if I even roll the car the motor moves one direction or the other and either destroys a spur or binds the mesh up so bad that I can' drive it.

I am considering getting the Aluminum bulkhead to try. I fear that the plastic one is so smooth and is has trouble providing enough friction to stop the motor from moving. All my offroad cars all had an aluminum motor mount.'

We'll see and I will let you guys know.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.