R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Why are TC5 diffs such a pain...

to build?

this has probably been covered too many times, but I'm too frustrated to go fishing.

Any tips?

For starters, nut is bottomed in the t-nut.
Farmer_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

haha, i hate the little nut. everytime i build a diff i go through at least two nuts and bolts trying to assemble the diff. poor design in my opinion.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There is nothing wrong with the diff or the t- nut or the nut. The problem lies in the length of the bolt. I got some bolts, 2/56x1", and have given a few to guys in my area. Anyone using the right length of bolt, in this area at least, hasn't had an issue. The ones in the kits are about 2mm too short. They're fine for the composite diffs but the aluminum ones are slightly thicker in the middle.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

i agree, the bolt is to short. i guess that's what i wanted to say. you would think ae would have corrected this because i'm sure the problems people have building the diffs the pro's have the same problems. i think the nut is aluminum also??? a steel one would be much better and i'm sure it wouldn't hurt performance.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default Diff

First thing, is the nut stripped? If it was started and it and came loose, it is stripped. If it is ok do this, have everything ready to assemble, have a allen wrench or screwdrive shaft to place across t-nut ready, then compress spring (hold compressed for about 1 minute) then immediately put together. The trick to this is the compressed spring. If you wait to put together the spring will go back to original size. It happens within 5 minutes. After I did this it was easy to put together, have done it several times. Works every time. Hope this helps.
Lugnutz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I'll go with the longer bolt, steel nut idea.

I"m no A main guy, I just want to do clean laps. Saving a gram or less with an aluminum nut is just stupid (IMNSHO)

This is a car that I bought mostly built...except the rear diff. The one that is giving me fits.

Thanks guys.

I also got a tip local to me to use the diff bolt kit for a TC3. According to this gentleman, it goes together like butter.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I sanded the bottom of the cup until it was thin enough to make assembly less of a PIA. I reasoned that the bottom of the cup was against the outdrive so the nut wasn't likely to pull through. Haven't had a problem with it in the 10 months since I did it and I can get the diff together in a snap just holding it together with my fingers. The longer bolt is no doubt a better solution but I didn't think of that at the time!

Village Idiot Racing - Now accepting driver applications.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've used some tc3 parts for the tc5 diffs work very good.

but if you could bare the time and your patient then the tc5 diff works well.

and yeeessss a steel nut would work much better
Old 04-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

you need the diff nut for the T3 (Stealth Nut) it comes with a longer bolt and the T nut is white and comes pre assembled i destroyed both my originals when i was building my kit and this was suggested to me in the TC5 thread i ordered them and the diffs went together like a dream dont know why AE doesnt just include them in the Kit.

heres a link

https://www.hobbyoutlets.com/store/hobby/6575.html?js=n
IL_AudiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL_AudiRacer View Post
you need the diff nut for the T3 (Stealth Nut) it comes with a longer bolt and the T nut is white and comes pre assembled i destroyed both my originals when i was building my kit and this was suggested to me in the TC5 thread i ordered them and the diffs went together like a dream dont know why AE doesnt just include them in the Kit.

heres a link

https://www.hobbyoutlets.com/store/hobby/6575.html?js=n
Ditto. Get the Stealth nut and throw away the kit stuff! I have rebuilt all my diffs using the T3 nut and never had one come loose in 2-3 seasons of outdoor and indoor racing.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

When i had a TC5 i was extremly pissed at the diff also, a longer bolt and a steel nut would have fixed my frustration, come on AE fix it.......
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Tech Addict

I used a TC3 nut. And it is much like the old T3 (and prior) Associated diff nut.

Went together like butter on hot toast.

I don't fault Ass. for much (every time I leave and come back to this hobby, it's what I choose to drive), but they certainly @#%$ up by not taking a couple of seconds to throw the right length bolt in the TC5R and/or TC5F kits(or anything going from the plastic outdrives to the "team" pieces).