R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   General Q about insert firmness (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/288982-general-q-about-insert-firmness.html)

Cpt.America 04-10-2009 12:03 PM

General Q about insert firmness

All else being equal, does a softer insert put more traction at that tire, or does a firmer insert put more traction at that tire? I would imagine that a softer insert would be more traction at that end, and a firmer insert would be less traction at that end.

~McSmooth~ 04-10-2009 12:34 PM

Boy, was I disappointed upon opening this thread.

Hyde 04-10-2009 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ (Post 5667005)

:lol:

CarbonJoe 04-10-2009 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ (Post 5667005)

Does Rick Monahan know you're using his picture as your avatar? :lol:

HarryLeach 04-10-2009 04:39 PM

It really depends on a LOT of other things what effect the insert would have.

For example, if you're running on a smooth high traction surface AND you're using the right tire, a firmer insert could actually increase traction because the tire won't squirm as much, and the heat across the tread would be more even. The catch is that if the insert is too stiff, part of the tread could overheat, causing the tire to grease up and squirm all over the track.

A softer insert will let the tire "flatten out" to the track more, which again, depending on the track and conditions could allow the tire to work better and generate more grip. If the insert is too soft for the conditions, the tire will deform in the corners, causing uneven tire wear, and thus, uneven heat across the tread, leaving you with a car that squirms around and never feels totally predictable.

We use foam instead of the air pressure used in full size race cars, but the goal is the same: Match the insert [air pressure] to the conditions at hand to hopefully reach the goals of even tire wear, tire temperature, and greatest usable grip for your setup.

Good luck.

Cpt.America 04-10-2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by HarryLeach (Post 5667769)
It really depends on a LOT of other things what effect the insert would have.

For example, if you're running on a smooth high traction surface AND you're using the right tire, a firmer insert could actually increase traction because the tire won't squirm as much, and the heat across the tread would be more even. The catch is that if the insert is too stiff, part of the tread could overheat, causing the tire to grease up and squirm all over the track.

A softer insert will let the tire "flatten out" to the track more, which again, depending on the track and conditions could allow the tire to work better and generate more grip. If the insert is too soft for the conditions, the tire will deform in the corners, causing uneven tire wear, and thus, uneven heat across the tread, leaving you with a car that squirms around and never feels totally predictable.

We use foam instead of the air pressure used in full size race cars, but the goal is the same: Match the insert [air pressure] to the conditions at hand to hopefully reach the goals of even tire wear, tire temperature, and greatest usable grip for your setup.

Good luck.

Thanks Harry, I appreciate it.