Search
Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Goto 13/1 and gear it 5.9. You will feel it more on top. PS, keep the timing on 5* since the straight is so short.
I'll give that a try. I'm curious, how does lowering the boost start RPM give you room to gear up, and possibly help with top speed? Wouldn't that make the ESC bog down as it tries to add timing sooner?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
your esc needs to be re calibrated to the radio, for reason it loses it set, just reset every time you turn the esc on, you'll get used to it and it won't seem like pain
Team Turtle was asking for my benifit.

For what its worth my problem was that in the middle of a race all the sudden the speedo would decide to drop all the timing. It would keep going, but the boost would just shut itself off. I recalibrated the radio everytime, I even tried the 95% to 100% deal and that acctualy made the problem worse. If you held the trigger long enough the boost would eventualy kick back on (sometimes a lap or two later) and it would keep going in and out the whole race. Battery was never below 7.8v when I put it back on the charger (2s 5200 SMC 40c pack, but an older one I got used)

The only reasonable thing I could think of is that the speed controler was asking more from the battery than the battery was still capable of providing and the voltage the speedo could pull from the battery would maybe at times be less than what the speedo thought it should be. I turned the Lipo Cut-off to the off setting and havn't had an issue since so I imagine that thats exactly what is happening. I dont like running without lipo cut-off because sometimes I like to stay out and play after the races are over for 15 minuetes or more at a time (which the battery will do without droping below the lipo safe voltage) but I suppose I'd rather stay out 8 minuetes and let the speedo run properly than have extra play time and feel better about not damaging my battery.

Just though I would share, I figure I cant be the only person having this issue.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'll give that a try. I'm curious, how does lowering the boost start RPM give you room to gear up, and possibly help with top speed? Wouldn't that make the ESC bog down as it tries to add timing sooner?
I am no engineer so i couldn't tell you the technical aspects of how it works. As far as your theory of bogging down, i have yet to see this happen.

You asked the question, but have you TRIED IT YET?

"THINKING" what your car "MIGHT" do is not the same as "SEEING" what it does when you do changes to it. Try it out first then tell us what it does so we can adjust accordingly.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

I am no engineer so i couldn't tell you the technical aspects of how it works. As far as your theory of bogging down, i have yet to see this happen.

"THINKING" what your car "MIGHT" do is not the same as "SEEING" what it does when you do changes to it. Try it out first then tell us what it does so we can adjust accordingly.
Cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

No need to be a jerk...I think Syndr0me's question is a valid one. I was thinking the same thing when I read your response.

Are you taking your ball and going home now?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Been looking for something with a little better feel down low than the Tekin, and decided to give the SP 2.1 a try. It definitely delivered, the way the motor rips out of the turns is phenomenal! The only thing it seems to lack is that rip on the straight that you get with a Tekin. It definitely seems to boost on the straight, just not quite as hard. Any suggestions? I'm running a SPv3 17.5 with an FDR of about 6.4. Settings are as follows:

4/8
9/8
12/7
13/2
14/3
15/2

If I tried to gear up much more, it would get slower and hotter. Timing on the motor is maxed.

Track has about a 95' straight. You can see it here. Layout is different now, but that gives you the gist of it.
Syndrome....here is the settings I just ran on a carpet track about the same size of the one in the video. My FDR with a 17.5 V3 motor on 10deg motor timing was 7.71 and my motor temp after 6 minutes was 160deg. It was just as fast as anything else there. We have noticed the same thing gearing up doesnt make it any faster just brings in more heat. For what we have seen gearing down helps more.

1--1
2--5
3--4
4--9
5--3
6--3
7--2
8--1
9--8
10-2
11-X
12-9
13-1
14-1
15-5

What you are saying is what we noticed right away. We had to lower the boost start RPM and then gear down to make more power. When we geared up with a lower start RPM the car would almost "two-speed" on the straight....there was a big delay until it kicked into the boost. Gearing down helped this right away and the car had more power across the board. This is what a hand full of us in my area have found while testing with the ESC and software.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I can definitely back up Kevin K's setup here...Rob K gave us the setup and we followed at the Sunday race and it is ROCKET. Several other brands driver was surprised to see that is SPEED PASSION ESC. I have video to prove it but I have to up load it first.

Final drive was 7.8 on me, timing on can is 10*...motor never get above 150 degrees and no soft ending after 6 minutes of hard racing...

Before I was told to use this setup/final drive, I was using 6.5 final drive (with the same ESC setting) and motor was up to 200 degrees and the car is EXTREMELY SLOW compare to TEKIN and LRP.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Just to confirm.

Gearing down = smaller pinion = higher FDR number
Gearing up = bigger pinion = smaller FDR number
Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by geubes
Just to confirm.

Gearing down = smaller pinion = higher FDR number
Gearing up = bigger pinion = smaller FDR number
Thats the way I look at it....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the great info. We'll be doing a lot more testing locally with your suggestions and report back.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Syndrome....here is the settings I just ran on a carpet track about the same size of the one in the video. My FDR with a 17.5 V3 motor on 10deg motor timing was 7.71 and my motor temp after 6 minutes was 160deg. It was just as fast as anything else there. We have noticed the same thing gearing up doesnt make it any faster just brings in more heat. For what we have seen gearing down helps more.

1--1
2--5
3--4
4--9
5--3
6--3
7--2
8--1
9--8
10-2
11-X
12-9
13-1
14-1
15-5

What you are saying is what we noticed right away. We had to lower the boost start RPM and then gear down to make more power. When we geared up with a lower start RPM the car would almost "two-speed" on the straight....there was a big delay until it kicked into the boost. Gearing down helped this right away and the car had more power across the board. This is what a hand full of us in my area have found while testing with the ESC and software.
I am gonna give this a shot tonight and see if it is better then what I am currently running...Thanks for the info!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

charlie b,

Do you have any setups for 2w offroad buggy with the 528SW?

Or is 205 c/g still the way to go?

Rob........
Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robio
Has anyone used the new software for stock offroad 2w buggy?

What were your findings? Settings?

Thanks, Rob..........
Tonight, I ran 1 second from TQ , and won 2nd qualifier. 2nd A Main.

The default settings seriously work well. Used an the V3 8.5 motor in RB5 SP Kyosho. Pinion -22. Track is small medium bite tight 180 turns. All that was necessary to adjust was the drag Brake, which I used custom 22%. Everything else was default* on the 528 Mod Software. Very Very Smooth !
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
Team Turtle was asking for my benifit.

For what its worth my problem was that in the middle of a race all the sudden the speedo would decide to drop all the timing. It would keep going, but the boost would just shut itself off. I recalibrated the radio everytime, I even tried the 95% to 100% deal and that acctualy made the problem worse. If you held the trigger long enough the boost would eventualy kick back on (sometimes a lap or two later) and it would keep going in and out the whole race. Battery was never below 7.8v when I put it back on the charger (2s 5200 SMC 40c pack, but an older one I got used)

The only reasonable thing I could think of is that the speed controler was asking more from the battery than the battery was still capable of providing and the voltage the speedo could pull from the battery would maybe at times be less than what the speedo thought it should be. I turned the Lipo Cut-off to the off setting and havn't had an issue since so I imagine that thats exactly what is happening. I dont like running without lipo cut-off because sometimes I like to stay out and play after the races are over for 15 minuetes or more at a time (which the battery will do without droping below the lipo safe voltage) but I suppose I'd rather stay out 8 minuetes and let the speedo run properly than have extra play time and feel better about not damaging my battery.

Just though I would share, I figure I cant be the only person having this issue.
I've never had it go away in the middle of race before, BUT, a friend of mine was having those exact issues this past weekend, I will pass the info along.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCHR Racer
Tonight, I ran 1 second from TQ , and won 2nd qualifier. 2nd A Main.

The default settings seriously work well. Used an the V3 8.5 motor in RB5 SP Kyosho. Pinion -22. Track is small medium bite tight 180 turns. All that was necessary to adjust was the drag Brake, which I used custom 22%. Everything else was default* on the 528 Mod Software. Very Very Smooth !
Good job on the placing! Thanks for the update. Can't imagine driving the buggy with an 8.5. Must be a rocketship!!!!!!!!!

I'll probably load the new sw and test a bit. I'm not disappointed with the performance, although now that I have a good setup on my buggy and I can actually drive it, I'd like a bit more punch. Might just fool around with gearing...

Rob...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.