R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation TC3 HIGH SPEED RUN

HI, I AM NEW TO THIS STUFF AND I HAVE A ELECTRIC TC3 THAT I WANT TO MAKE IT RUN AS FAST AS POSSIBLE FOR A HIGH SPEED RUN. I AM USING A 11.1 VOLT 3000MAH 35C LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT WOULD THE BEST MOTOR AND ESC TO USE.
I WAS TOLD A NOVAK 3.5R BUT THERE ARE DIFFERENT MODELS. THANKS FOR THE HELP.
DUCATIMADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What kind of Course or Surface?

Long straight or closed course?

a NOVAK 3.5 is rated at 10,500 rpm per volt (Kv) so on 11.1 the "unloaded" RPM is going to be VERY HIGH and hard to control.

With that kind of voltage, and depending on the surface...you might want to start with something slower and work up as you play with the AERO.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wwooww! i remmeber my old tc3 speed run days!

the tc3 would do great with the 3.5 novak but i found out after the chassis gets hot from the hot surface and the motor and cell heat the chasis tweaks. so keep an eye on the temps. (a tweaked out chassis doesn't matter in speed runs but the drive train gets loud and could cuase wear after time) just something for thought

post a pic of you're ride!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to raven101 Send a message via Yahoo to raven101

i have a tc4 that had a castle 4600 and a sidewinder running 3s with a 32 tooth pinion and a 75 tooth spur and it had a max speed of 65mph according to a radar gun at the last topeka high speed chalange it was a good combo for a straight 1/8 mile run.

looking at a castle 9000 on a mamba max with 4s this year and max gearing like 69 tooth spur and 35 tooth pinion wanting to break 100mph we will see.

check out www.gearchart.com and it should help
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Tech Elite

My Son's HPI Pro2 wil run 62 TOP SPEED on the Radar gun before it runs out of radio range...

This is with a NOVAK 5.5 and a 2 cell ORION 3200 Lipo.

We had it where it accellerated quicker, but it won't keep the tires on past about 3/4 of the run...

Same car hit 58 mph with a VINTAGE Hpi 'Cuda body on it.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Tech Master

Here are a couple of suggestions for extreme speed runs with a TC3 based on my personal experience at the Indianapolis Major Taylor Velodrome. At the time we were trying 6-cell/10-turn brushed motors. Brushless and lipo should be an easier way to go.

- Niftech Titanium drive shaft.
Not only is the Niftech titanium drive shaft lighter than the alumiunum shaft, but it will not vibrate at high RPMs.

- Low profile servo mounts. The stock TC3 servo mounts are very close to the drive shaft. If the drive shaft wobbles or vibrates at high speed it can rub the servo mount or servo. If you are running the stock black drive shaft and it rubs it can cause the drive shaft to break.

- Move the receiver antennae away from the drive shaft. If the drive shaft fails, it can cut the antennae wire and you don't want to loose control at 60+ mph.

- Properly mounted body. Tire rub can cause unexpected issues. A tire rubbing the body can cause the car to flip or turn left/right unexpectedly.

- Use belted rubber tires, foam tires, or capped TC tires. At extreme RPM, normal rubber tires will balloon. While this looks cool, it can cause the tires to rub the body and reduces contact patch with the ground.

- Test on a Velodrome track if possible. You'd be surprised how fast you can run on a Velodrome track.

- Use a high speed body. A regular body will generate too much downforce at high speeds and limit top end. A high downforce TC body like the HPI GT-40 or similar might be a good starting point. A body with a blunt rounded nose will work better at high speeds than a wedge/triangle nose. A Nastruck body would even be a decent choice as the flat sides give it some extra stability.

- Raise the ride height. At high speeds even a low or medium downforce body will exert a lot of force on the car. If the car is too low or sprung too soft the car can bottom out if travels over dips/bumps.

- Use a good aftermarket rear wing. You don't need a wing for downforce. You want a wing with large side dams to help keep the car going in a straight line. You would want the type of wing that r/c oval racers use in mod classes. If you watch the COT NASCAR races you will see how the rear spoiler/wing combo keeps the car from spinning out at high speeds even if the car is loose.

- Small spur/large pinion. You may have to modify the chassis to fit a larger pinion gear. If you are using a tub chassis, you may have to dremel out the webbing below the pinion gear if you go above 45 tooth 64 pitch gears. It is easier now to find small spur gears with the popularity of brushless motors. PRS and Robinson make small spur gears. PRS also makes very large pinion gears. 64 pitch will give you the biggest range of gear choice for high speed runs.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 04-07-2009 at 01:05 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to raven101 Send a message via Yahoo to raven101

if you are shooting for speeds over 70 mph do not use take off belted tires. they tend to blow the tire across the width of them over 68 mph.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My TC3 has gone 73MPH with a Trinity N80 motor. I use 35 and 40 shore foam tires. I now have my own 1.5T 18,102Kv motor hooked to my 200A esc and will soon try for a 2S lipo speed run.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote