R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default The Best 17.5

Hey everybody i need a new 17.5 and would like some help whats the best 17.5 and why ??
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it honestly depends on the person .There are so many kinds of motors now it is hard to tell which one is better and which is not . I think it is like everything else there all some good and bad in all
eflite300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As if you need to go faster Matt, But I am also in the market for a new motor so just subscribing to the thread

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Not another "BEST" thread.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksy1 View Post
Hey everybody i need a new 17.5 and would like some help whats the best 17.5 and why ??
The DUO based Trinity motors seem to be doing very well. Several companies are taking these and putting their labels on them.

Personally, I prefer the LRP X-11 Stock Spec motors for their build quality and parts options, even though I'm still slightly down on power than guys running the DUO's.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Tech Elite

The Trinity DUO dose seen to be a favorite. Here it's Novak, but motors vary from club to club.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Need some questions answered about brushless

Need some questions answered about brushless

I am about to retire my brushed motors/controller and get a brushless 17.5 system for a local series that has “banned the brush”. I will be running this in a 2wd F103 with limited space for electronics. I am looking to get a “sport” configuration as the F103 is not going to be taxed with a lot of drive train losses. The more I look at the options, the more questions I have and I was hoping that you all could help guide me in the right direction.

a) Ratings KV vs. windings
Why do some motors (ie.Castle Creations) have a rating of KV (thousands of RPMs per volt) and not the winding count like say a Novak 17.5? How can you even rate a BL motor for KV? It is not like you can just apply 5v DC and see how fast it turns right?

b) Sensor less vs. sensored Please fills in the blanks.
I would be a complete idiot if I did not get a ________ (sensorless/sensored) motor because __________.

c) $
Not all BL speed controllers seem to be created equal. I am looking for a “sport” package and don’t need/want a high end option. Please share your opinions and experiences that may fit my application.
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
Need some questions answered about brushless

I am about to retire my brushed motors/controller and get a brushless 17.5 system for a local series that has “banned the brush”. I will be running this in a 2wd F103 with limited space for electronics. I am looking to get a “sport” configuration as the F103 is not going to be taxed with a lot of drive train losses. The more I look at the options, the more questions I have and I was hoping that you all could help guide me in the right direction.

Why do some motors (ie.Castle Creations) have a rating of KV (thousands of RPMs per volt) and not the winding count like say a Novak 17.5? How can you even rate a BL motor for KV? It is not like you can just apply 5v DC and see how fast it turns right?

I would be a complete idiot if I did not get a ________ (sensorless/sensored) motor because __________.

c) $
Not all BL speed controllers seem to be created equal. I am looking for a “sport” package and don’t need/want a high end option. Please share your opinions and experiences that may fit my application.
Currently, no Castle motors are legal in ROAR stock or superstock classes. Only sensored motors are legal. Apparently, the Castle motors are now legal in Modified class.

Novak motors do have a Kv rating. See http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...spec_chart.htm

The Tekin RS is a nice ESC. You can run brushed, sensored brushles, or sensorless brushless (as you can with other brand ESCs). The RS is a small package (a lot smaller than a Novak GTB). Others are partial to the LRP speedos. I like the RS since you can adjust it quite easily with the Hotwire PC interface.

I have the Castle Sidewinder/5700Kv motor in my B44 buggy. Nice, but as mentioned above, the motors aren't legal for ROAR except for modified class. It is also adjustable with a PC interface.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Novak has recently released the Havoc Spec systems. The systems include Novak's ROAR approved spec motors. If you plan to race in the spec racing categories, you need a sensored, ROAR-approved motor. Havoc Spec Systems' price @ 149.99.

We describe our motors by turns, although we include the Kv in our Brushless motor spec chart. We only make sensored motors, so we (naturally) favor the sensored technology.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
You're not likely to find a sensorless 17.5 available anywhere. You CAN run sensored motors with a sensorless controller, but the high turn spec motors don't tend to work very well with a sensorless controller.

If you're looking for a sport type setup, the Novak Havok might be a good choice. I'd choose a Tekin RS with their 17.5, but to unlock all the performance of the Tekin RS, you'd need the Hotwire programming interface. If you're looking to stay with a sport type package, that might be more complexity than you want.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i have the new vortex one. very fast and i really like it. my friend runs the duo which ive driven geared the same and it is fast! novak makes a great motor too.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Pid View Post
Not another "BEST" thread.
Not another moaning old fart. I have never seen you post anything else.

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

c) $
a) As was mentioned earlier the winding "stated" motors do have KV ratings. Sensored motors are rated by the winding and sensorless rated by the KV rating. Works out about the same but KV becomes important when trying to figure out RPM's for high voltage operations (11.1V+)

b) Sensored motors are the overwhelming choice for onroad. Sensorless tends to give some studdering coming off the brakes or from dead stops. Sensored does not.

c) Havoc system is awesome. LRP has an AI which is also budget minded but have no experience with it. The size of the Havoc may cause some issues in a F103 though.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #14

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

DUO

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
LRP has an AI which is also budget minded but have no experience with it.
My AI Pro smoked (literally smoke rolling) after a couple of weeks, on their 10.5 & geared respectively.... no shut down, no warning.

Id say it would be ok on a 13.5 or higher... They say it can go lower than the 10.5 I have.
I wouldn't.

After 3 weeks they still haven't looked at it either.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote