R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Difference between Standard Mazdazpeed6 and the lightweight Mazdaspeed6?

I notice you can get either, and they are different prices

standard = #1487-00
lightweight = #1487-11

Which to run, and why? Medium traction outdoor asphault/rubber
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The lightweight is a thinner lexan (0.025 i think) and it allows the driver to eliminate some weight off of the top and sides of the chassis. A lighter body will allow the car to transition faster, stay flatter through the corners, etc.

Neccesary? hheeeellllllll no. Especially with the lipo trend going, extra weight isn't neccesarily a bad thing, especially on asphault with rubber tire. If you wanted the extra edge on carpet, then a lightweight is where it's at.

It is debated that the thicker bodies are more durable as well.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Tech Master

Go with the standard, when I had one, I was always asking people to hit me to help with a body tuck. When you are asking people to hit you, you know something is wrong.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I see i see... thanks, mucho appreciated
Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Tech Addict

The standard is .030 and the LW is .025. It's not as bad as the ultra lightweight bodies (.020) of the old days, which is what most people think of when they talk about lightweight. It does remove a little bit of the weight up high, but it's probably not something to concern yourself with too much unless you're at a pretty high level. If you're curious, just buy one and spray bomb it white, they're only $20. Compare it with the .030 and see if you can tell a difference.

LW bodies aren't so much about overall weight, but rather weight at the very highest part of the car, which can definitely be a factor when considering CoG. Whether or not it matters to you on the track is something you'll have to decide. There are drawbacks, they're not as durable and more prone to tucking during a race.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
The standard is .030 and the LW is .025. It's not as bad as the ultra lightweight bodies (.020) of the old days, which is what most people think of when they talk about lightweight. It does remove a little bit of the weight up high, but it's probably not something to concern yourself with too much unless you're at a pretty high level. If you're curious, just buy one and spray bomb it white, they're only $20. Compare it with the .030 and see if you can tell a difference.

LW bodies aren't so much about overall weight, but rather weight at the very highest part of the car, which can definitely be a factor when considering CoG. Whether or not it matters to you on the track is something you'll have to decide. There are drawbacks, they're not as durable and more prone to tucking during a race.

Last time i checked lightweight bodies where more expensive (around 30 bucks).

Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the sites that sell them its a discription on the item. And its in the title of the thread, it answeres your question. Its lightweight. Not a reguler one.

Is this difficult for some people to understand?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I see.. Well, i am an experienced parkinglot racer, but have been out of the game for many years (just getting back in) so I don't think I will really be able to use the benefits of the lightweight body yet... maybe in a while Thanks for the info fellas....

Now im off to drown myself in a sea of ESC, and BL motor information. Im drowning!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATC3 View Post
On the sites that sell them its a discription on the item. And it the title it answeres your question. Its lightweight. Not a reguler one.

Is this difficult for some people?

Don't be a clown, I was asking if there were any practical differences between the bodies with where I was running (med traction, outdoor asphault, rubber). I got plenty of great responses here and I am all set. Please don't bother to reply to any of my posts LATC3... You are never any help.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

lol you think your anyhelp with the funny jokes you leave in everyones threads?! LOL

What's the difference between the colors black and blue???? Anyone????
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
Super Moderator

What part of "please dont reply to my threads" don't you understand? My guess is that you will reply after this, AGAIN... even though I have asked you not too. I left ONE joke about using super glue as being the best "Sticky" thing you can use for tire treatment, and now you follow me everywhere posting useless junk in my threads.. please dissapear.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Tech Elite

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
The standard is .030 and the LW is .025. It's not as bad as the ultra lightweight bodies (.020) of the old days, which is what most people think of when they talk about lightweight.
are the .020 bodys legal? I've read somewhere that a company made them even thinner then that and you'll HAVE to use a fifth body post in the center lol that's insane thin
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Some people actual feel the lightweight bodies are more durable for them. The lexan bends more rather then tearing/cracking. Just throwing that out there. I can't keep any body in good shape for long.

Not to join the war but I do see the irony in Cpt America's post about unhelpful posts. I hadn't come across a serious post by him in the past.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Some people actual feel the lightweight bodies are more durable for them. The lexan bends more rather then tearing/cracking. Just throwing that out there. I can't keep any body in good shape for long.

Not to join the war but I do see the irony in Cpt America's post about unhelpful posts. I hadn't come across a serious post by him in the past.
Thats because right now, I am only asking questions, not answering any. Do you have a particular problem with something? I don't know why you and LATC3 are giving me so much grief, but its starting to get annoying.