R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2003, 05:40 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Battery management question

Hi, I have seen many rules regarding to how people manage their new/old 3300 ni-mh cells. Some suggested that I should discharge the pack down to 5.4 before storing it. There are people also suggested that I should discharge each cell down to 0.1v or 0.2v before storing it for the next race. When I want to charge the pack for race, should use those expensive "tray-type" to fully discharge (0.1v each cell) my pack? Some people would store it shorted until the next time charging it too...So, which rules should I follow?

Please advise. Thank you!

Last edited by discus18; 12-03-2003 at 05:50 AM.
discus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

If you ask 1000 people, 1000 difference responces will be given. So for that, I will give my 1 response that has given me the best power/punch from the pack without hurting the pack leading to long life.

I discharge and store GP3300's at 5.4v/pack for 6 cell, 3.6 v/pack for 4 cell packs.

The morning of the race day, I tray the cells down so the cells are all equalized. I then charge the pack on my CE GFX at 6 amps for stock, 5 amps for mod (to gain runtime but less voltage) at .03 - .05 peak detect. The cells should be 145-155 degrees. I try and have them peak as close to running the race that I can. If the race isn't run withing 5 minutes from peaking, I repeak at the same amperage rate at .01 so they do not over heat the cells. After the race is finished, and I won I discharge the pack down to 5.4 v/6 pack and 3.6v/4 pack and let the air cool (No cooling fans!) atleast an hour and a half before recharging so the internal cell structures rest. I never race the pack more than 2 times a day.

This process has awesome results for me, but could vary do to temperature/humidity. I gain the best results from the pack from local environment of 75-85F.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know or check the Fukuyama Racing thread here at RCTech for more discussion.

John
Old 12-03-2003, 06:10 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

i was wondering if you tray them don't you loss run time? and maintain voltage?
porky-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:33 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

So, when I choose a tray discharger, which one should I choose? some discharge to 0.1 some to 0.5...quite confusing to me. Thanks!
discus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:43 AM   #5
Tech Elite

There are a lot of different trays. I have a trinity Realtime 2 and it brings each cell down to 0. I keep an eye on the bulbs and use a multimeter to check voltages while traying but i dont let them go to 0. Some trays like the integy have a .9 volt cutoff. It all depends on what you want to get. I'm sure the search function here could tell you all about different types of trays.

John
Old 12-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

got any suggestions for those ppl who isnt a team driver and only have 3 packs of battery and cant afford only letting the pack run twice a day?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Try and let them rest as much as you can after you discharge. Also, keep your best packs fresh for the 3rd qual and main if you can.

John
Old 12-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by discus18
So, when I choose a tray discharger, which one should I choose? some discharge to 0.1 some to 0.5...quite confusing to me. Thanks!

i'd get the one with a cut-off... bringing down the voltage more than .9 volts hurt the cells in the long run.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by highwayman
.. bringing down the voltage more than .9 volts hurt the cells in the long run.
Hi Highwayman,

Can you tell why to the cells hurt or what happen to the cells if we bring down the voltage more than 0.9 volts ??

Thanks !
Anthony
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:33 PM   #10
Tech Elite

There are 2 things that you can do, that are very bad for the cells, overcharge them, thereby overheating them, and leaving them without charge... (bringing it down more than .9 volts)

as to what exactly happens, chemically inside, i don't know why...

my $.02
Old 12-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
Tech Master

lemme throw a wrench into this..

with the second generation cells in stock and 19 turn oval

store them dead shorted!
use a real time tray or integy tray to bring them down..dead short with solder. charge them until they reach 140-150 deg ..again this is for race conditions not for back yard bob..and i race oval..all of my packs have dropped in IR and gained in voltage..but lost 30 sec run time on avg..only works on generation 2 GP cells..and i have no idea what the new 3rd generation cells will do when dead shorted..i have packs that are over 3 months old and still perform like new or better..but an oval car comes back with over 60 sec run time at 30 amps in 19 turn and over 100 sec in stock..the touring scene may need that run time?
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:16 PM   #12
Tech Elite

UCHEATULOSE:

as for me... i need the run time in modified TC, that's why dead shorting doesn't appeal to me...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:29 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
There are 2 things that you can do, that are very bad for the cells, overcharge them, thereby overheating them, and leaving them without charge... (bringing it down more than .9 volts)

as to what exactly happens, chemically inside, i don't know why...

my $.02
I'm a little in disagreement with the bringing down below .9volts part. We're experiencing some gain in runtime but it is to be determined. So far we've brought the cells down to about .05 and hold it there for 5 minutes before charging them right away and it has yield a higher charge and peak with better runtime. Just something we're working on.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:38 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
I'm a little in disagreement with the bringing down below .9volts part. We're experiencing some gain in runtime but it is to be determined. So far we've brought the cells down to about .05 and hold it there for 5 minutes before charging them right away and it has yield a higher charge and peak with better runtime. Just something we're working on.

Dan

good to hear that... keep us posted.

... just a question... is that already on an assembled pack or cycled on a T35?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:41 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
good to hear that... keep us posted.

... just a question... is that already on an assembled pack or cycled on a T35?
hehe.. that's on a built pack that's been ran by racers (my own pack. ).

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote