R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tekin Electronics?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/2869-tekin-electronics.html)

XER987 02-05-2002 08:31 AM

Tekin Electronics??

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO TEKIN ELECTRONICS?? ARE THEY OUT OF BUSINESS, OR WHAT?? I'VE ONLY BEEN IN THE HOBBY FOR MAYBE A YEAR. A FRIEND OF MINE HAS ONE OF THEIR CHARGERS.

Darkseid 02-05-2002 09:10 AM

Ahhhh, the eternal question. What happened to Tekin?

To be honest, nobody quite knows. Even the major Rc publications haven't been able to dig up the details. But, since you've only been in the hobby for a year. I'll tell you this, they were excellent while they were around. Everything you see Novak doing now(such as winning championships, sponsoring most of the top drivers, leading innovation, etc...) Tekin used to do in the past. Many still swear by Tekin products, I'm one of them.

I have two TekinG10 speedcontrols and a Tekin charger as my backup charger.

They were the best there was............until they disappeared that is.......:cry:

At least theres still people out there to service their products.

futureal 02-05-2002 09:52 AM

The biggest problem with Tekin is that they weren't able to "keep up with the Jones'" after awhile (namely Novak). Tekin was the original "high end" in ESCs, chargers and what not... everybody had their stuff, they were the way to go. But as the years went by, companies like Novak continued to innovate and expand their market share, while Tekin rested on their laurels.

In the end, people just stopped buying Tekin's ESCs, and eventually their chargers as well (although to this day the 112A and 112C are damn fine chargers). The funny thing is, even Tekin's old ESCs are still on par with a lot of what is out there today. But something has to be said for marketing. If Tekin had kept re-releasing the same ESC each year with minor updates and shiny new packaging, I bet their story would have ended much more happily.

Speedo 02-05-2002 03:29 PM

And if their products weren't so hidiously ugly :(

Type S 02-05-2002 03:30 PM

they havent gone out of business. but you didnt hear this from me

Modena AL 02-06-2002 08:16 AM

I used to really like the tekin stuff when I was doing offroad. After I got out of the hobby for 2 years and came back to run On-road....Tekin was no where to be found! Now im using novak...and doing just fine....

hobbipro 02-06-2002 10:34 AM

As far As I know Tekin is being ran now by the owner out of his home, They warrantied my 112A a few months ago. It took about a month to get it back. Yes, you can still run across a few 112A-C's in some of the smaller hobby shops, and even some G-9's, and 10's.
The story I was told as to why they haven't been around so to speak is that they experienced "internal" problems. The old tekin employees left and formed there own business called express tech. The million dollar question is what does inernal problems mean? Was it a family owned business that had a squabble? Or did a engineer who designed some of there stuff decide to sue? Or some sort of copy right problem? Who knows for sure. No ones talking. They still have a web sight, so I figure once it goes down.....all must be gone for good.
Who knows? Maybe one day we'll enjoy Tekin products again, I'd like to see more competition in the ESC area, and even the new brushless technology.
Novak is on top now but they better look out, there ESC's need to go on a size diet since its getting pretty darn hard to stick one of there cyclones in a TC chassis that keeps getting smaller and more compact, simply making the set up button an on/off switch helps but we need 1"X 1" ESC's.

Darkseid 02-06-2002 03:43 PM

Tekin was once on top like Novak is now. Then, like futureal said, they got too comfortarable. Novak is displaying some of those same tendencies with the non-evolution of the Cyclone.

I just hope someday that we will get to see Tekin competing head to head with Novak agian.

That was when many of the best features esc have today were developed. Now a major development for Novak is a new on/off button.:rolleyes:

futureal 02-06-2002 04:19 PM

And, you know, that new on/off button is damn cool. :D

Modena AL 02-06-2002 04:34 PM

I LOVE that on/off button!

It was funny, at the regional race I went to after they first came out, something happened to my car and i had to pull of, when I went to get my car the dude was still messing with it...and I asked him "whats broke on my car?" He said "Im not looking for that....Im trying to figure out how to turn you damn car off!" LOL!

patcollins 02-06-2002 05:25 PM

tekin

It wasn't that Tekin got too comfortable, it was that the owner doesn't give a shit anymore.

Joe 02-06-2002 06:24 PM

I love my G10. It's a real shame to see a good company like that fall apart. Especially with us not knowing what happened. :cry:

Besercoe 02-06-2002 06:46 PM

I have used both novak and Tekin and in most cases my tekins have lasted for years without any problems, while the novaks seem to work well for a while and then spill their guts for no apparent reason. I have got a Tempest Pro at the moment that has just developed some sort of glitch, it was fine one meeting and the next the car has been undrivable, i have replaced everything else. with no luck the only thing left in the chain is the speedie.

So please Tekin open yor doors and start seeling us racers some quality products, we can only hope that they are working feverishly in a lab somewhere developing a brushless setup.

Heres fingers crossed

icon 02-08-2002 07:44 AM

I was a lucky newbie (like 3 yrs back) who had the pleasure of using a tekin esc. I had a tekin rebel for racing around the block. I swear that tekin took whatever crazy throttle and brake input i dished out. It did not overheat once and kept on going. But then i had to switch to a novak reactor (my own silly reasoning at the time). More money, but less performance! It overheated more times than i care to count. Same setup as far as motor and cell goes, just using a novak instead. I really miss my tekin esc :( :cry:

Darkseid 02-08-2002 08:14 AM

icon: you can always hit the buy/sell boards in hopes of finding someone whose selling a Tekin. I have two G10s so I figured I'd sell my G12 last year. Now I miss it even though I still have the two G10s and a GMV12 speedo.

I should have kept it........definitely:(