R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default FT TC4 bashing questions....

Working on a FT TC4. Been out of the hobby for a long time (almost 2 decades). I am not racing this car. Just want something fun and fast to run in the street in front of my house (at the corner with 2 long straights going either direction). I am trying to figure out what do do for a battery/charger. I am going to be running brushless (Castle Creations 7700 or Novak 3.5) and a Spektum DX2. I do know I want LiPo 2 cell, but not sure what will give me decent power and run time, and still fit. I am completely in the dark about chargers. What will charge and balance the battery from an AC power source? What gearing should I go with? Please remember that this is not for someone hoping to compete in the nationals, or even club racing. Just someone wanting to go fast around the neighborhood.
Blind Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Skwerl View Post
Working on a FT TC4. Been out of the hobby for a long time (almost 2 decades). I am not racing this car. Just want something fun and fast to run in the street in front of my house (at the corner with 2 long straights going either direction). I am trying to figure out what do do for a battery/charger. I am going to be running brushless (Castle Creations 7700 or Novak 3.5) and a Spektum DX2. I do know I want LiPo 2 cell, but not sure what will give me decent power and run time, and still fit. I am completely in the dark about chargers. What will charge and balance the battery from an AC power source? What gearing should I go with? Please remember that this is not for someone hoping to compete in the nationals, or even club racing. Just someone wanting to go fast around the neighborhood.
An Onyx charger would probably be something you'd look foor.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Duratrax-Onyx-...3A1|240%3A1318

They can run off AC and charge Nimh's and Li-po. I don't believe they balance Lipo's however so you would need a balancer such as,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lipo-battery-c...3286.m63.l1177

Your Lipo's, depending on what they are, should be balanced every so often but balancing them every charge would be good.
As for what Li-po, not sure about where you are but at my LHS there's an LRP VTEC 5300mah 2S2P lipo which is designed to for where Nimh packs would, going for 75 which i think is a fair price. Most things by the major brand should be ok for what you're using it for.
If you are using a 7700 or a 3.5 Novak as you mentioned, you would want as bigger mah battery as you can find, even for just bashing, the 3.5 and 7700 are going to draw mega amounts of power from your battery even compared to a 5.5 or a 5700.
It's just a limit on your funds after that :P

Good luck and have fun
Limerick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply! I was looking at a Hyperion charger (has ac/dc, charges everything, balances), might be going with that. Batteries I am still unsure about. My LHS has 1 pack that'll fit, but it was kinda on the light side (2400mah). I will probably be ordering the battery on-line and need to know what fits. So much more complicated than this used to be back in the 80's!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have a Hyperion ac/dc Balancer charger and i love it. Use it for both my Lipo's and NiMH.
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm

And i have a Mamba Max 5700K running 3s Lipo's, and it's WICKED fast.. Almost to fast. I think the 5700K is more popular but the 7700K will run just as strong.

I say go with a good charger like the Hyperion if you have the budget.
And either 5700 or 7700 mamba max will be awesome on your TC4.

If you get a 5700k, then get a 3s Lipo.
If you get a 7700k, then get a 2s Lipo.

If your brave and will do some cooling mod's you can run a 3s on the 7700k and try hard to keep it straight hahaha..
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Just got the Novak 3.5 GTB system. Can't wait to get this thing going!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

What should I be running for gearing on this with a 7.4 2s lipo?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Just FYI, your motor may literally destroy itself with 3S on 7700 because the rotor speed on that setup exceeds the capacity for the rotor to hold itself together. It has nothing to do with cooling, unfortunately.
Yub, yub, cmdr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I have no intention of puting my novak on anything more than a 2s lipo. Voiding warranties on new equiptment is something I am not fond of... (thinking back to when I put that turbo kit on my new IS300 and then took it into dealership for scheduled maintenance. )
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Yea, the 3s on the 7700K would put it at over 83,000RPM.. Which is way over the rated.. but it's definitly been done.

As far as gearing goes, id start off with something like a 20p and just work with the spur. Maybe something like a 74.

Your gonna have a BLAST!

PS: Word of advice. Make sure your battery is held down very well. I know your 2s will be much smaller but my 5400mAh 3s was huge and came rolling off my car the day i got the battery. I was so pissed. Now the thing isnt going any where. Check out the thread about it here.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I am looking to get one of those new SMC 40c 2S LiPo packs. That should be a good amount of oomph to start. Trying to find somebody that has one in stock has been a challenge though.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Tech Addict

How's this project coming along???