Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock Motor Survey!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Actually, my favorite stock motor of all time has been the ParadoxPro.

Why??? It was the last stock motor that you didn't have to choose RPM or Torque. It wasn't as good in either area compared to the modern motors, but hell at least you could keep the same motor in dispite the track set up or size. I actually competed very well with one last year. Then the magnets finally showed their age and I had to retired it.

I'm going to give the P2K2Pro a try this season and see if Trinity has re-achieved the balance they had with the ParadoxPro. If not......I'll give TowerHobbies a call and restock my supply of ParadoxPros!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Whatever motor makes the most power on my dyno. Which, right now is a P2K at 131.9W.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

was a big p2k fan (and still am), but lately been using the 2pk2 mainly. i just tried it w/ the new double shunted trinity e brush. i couldn't tell you how it's performing on a dyno, but it feels really strong on the track. at socal last tuesday, a friend of mine that races mod had to race stock (not enough mod entries that evening) and had to borrow a motor. well, i gave my 2pk2 w/ the double shunted e's (already w/ a good dozen runs on 'em) and he was ballistically fast. anyway, he ended up in the a main, and i ended up in the b main. i think maybe i gave him the wrong motor. oh well.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Default Motor survey

I just purchased my first GM3, still getting it broken in. I am going to look into the reedy 768 brushes.
Thanks to all that posted, Im learning something everytime I look.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RA99GT: good answer!
Old 02-07-2002, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

That is if you have a dyno!!!

Anyway just got the last Team Orion lathe ordered and some brushes and springs (red/green/purple) to try out on my motors which needs some servicing....

Can you experienced guys tell me if the following makes sense?

P2K Pro....( original everything) running strong from first pact to about 14 packs, then I noticed the decrease in speed....

BRM (Sim to Team Orion RS stock but with harder springs) fast from 2nd pack to about the 8th then I noticed it got a bit less punch.... (hard springs?)

P94 12x2, lightning but after 6-8 packs I noticed it getting slo and comm with serious looking wear, so I am waiting for my lathe to arrive... I thought the wider brushes means less wear?? Or am I doing something wrong?

FInally I am thinking of getting a new GM3 pro or a P2K2 Pro.... I run in a smallish track with alot of infield, from the P2K Pro experience I would go for the P2K2 Pro, but everyone else is running the GM3 or Team Orion RS stock.... any ideas?

Thanks...
Old 02-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Sonneteer,

Looks like you normal wear and tear to your comms and brushes.

If you are not cleaning your brushes and comms for about 10 - 14 runs then the performance will drop off dramatically.

Yorkie.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd say you've got the right idea, sonneteer. All motors will lose performance after a particular number of runs(how many depends on what wind it is, what brushes/springs you're using, timing on mods, etc.). In particular, on that 12 turn of yours, I'd strongly suggest you cut the comm every 6-8 runs MAXIMUM, P-94 or not. Mods put a LOT more stress on their comms, so they need more regular care to keep them in good shape & to keep them from chewing themselves up. As for a new stock motor for you, I'd suggest trying a P2K 2 Pro, I think it's an excellent motor, very adaptable to most any track(its powerband is VERY similar to the MVP, broad & strong, but it runs cooler & more efficiently than the MVP), & I like to run mine with Trinity's red/green springs, & a Reedy 767 brush on + & a Trinity 4499 on -. So far, I've been quite pleased with how it runs....
Old 02-08-2002, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info Yorkie.... I thought as much, I guess I wasnt used to mods.... got a bag of new brushes to try this weekend if my lathe turns up

Grizzbob.... thanks for your reply too... at least I know it is normal so I wont feel as shocked.... had a close look at the P94 comm last night... not good... looks like I have to cut is quite a bit to get it back as before... oh well ... you live and learn...

As for the motor.... think I will get me GF to get me a P2KPro.... she can have my MVP plus for her car...

Anyway..... it seems such a waste when the comm goes the arm goes with it..... (being eco friendly speaking... and pocket friendly!!!)
Old 02-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Im still a Trinity P2k fan, but really been having great results with the P2k2. Both with 4499 or 767, green red combo. Can't wait to find out what the upcoming MVP 2 will be like.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Is the MVP Plus same as a MVP 2?

I just stuck a MVP Plus into my GF's TA03 (with rather inefficient drive train) and the car went surprisingly quick!!!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Finally got a chance to try a Fantom P2K and it rocks! Their limited edition motors are prepped better than what Trinity does. They have been hard to get but I noticed most of the fast guys at our track use them. Patience paid off.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sonneteer, the MVP Plus is simply Reedy's "dyno tuned" version of the MVP(just like the "Pro" versions of Trinity's motors)......
Old 02-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

is there an MVP2? how is it different from the MVP? Im about to get a new stock motor and i dont know which to get. i saw MVP's in action in our track and theyre really fast. i wonder how the MVP2 compares (if it does exist.)
Old 02-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

MVP: likes to be undergeared. gearing on a pro3 84/30

Orion Chrome Stock RS: likes to be overgeared. gearing on a pro2 110/40.

Both are excellent motors though, it just depends on the gearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.