"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors >

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JGH
bertran,

I quess you are a great fan of the Awesomatix car!
You can not imagine how happy I am to be a part of the TRF team.
This was a dream come true for me to be racing and working for Tamiya.

The best of luck with your Awesomatix car!

Jilles
Jilles,

Glad to hear that ur happy with TRF and it's great to have fast drivers like urself piloting the cars. I guess we're also lucky to have you sharing setups and guide us along. Unlike some fast drivers...

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Jilles,

Another thing about the zero rebound, would you recommend we use this method on low grip surface?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Jilles,
is it true that if we make zero rebound shock, we should use thicker oil, compared to standard (full rebound) shock?
and what is the effect of shock position (lay-in or stand-up)?
thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:25 AM
IQ0
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JGH
bertran,

I quess you are a great fan of the Awesomatix car!
You can not imagine how happy I am to be a part of the TRF team.
This was a dream come true for me to be racing and working for Tamiya.

The best of luck with your Awesomatix car!

Jilles
Jilles....!!!!!Tamiya is our right choice!!!!!
...hope you could make a visit to Brunei one day!...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

thanks for your recommendations on 3.0 FDR, as i found out even with the trimming with less RPM and Power it still hard to race 5 min with those low turn motor........ i already tested yesterday the battery temp up to 65-70 deg Celsius.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonest
Jilles,

Another thing about the zero rebound, would you recommend we use this method on low grip surface?

Thanks
I don't mean to step in on Jilles, but I can tell you that it worked for me, when I went to the Omaha TCS race, their carpet had NO groove in it(& was a wee bit dusty, much like my local track because of everyone going outside to race offroad in the warmer months) & everyone was slippin' & slidin'. But I had just done the zero rebound setup on my shocks & I think everyone agreed that I was able to find grip a LOT faster than anyone else(especially since I was running in the GT1 class, with the fastest motors allowed in TCS). I was really the only one in GT1 that had a stable car all day, & I'm convinced that the shocks played a significant role in that.....
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
I don't mean to step in on Jilles, but I can tell you that it worked for me, when I went to the Omaha TCS race, their carpet had NO groove in it(& was a wee bit dusty, much like my local track because of everyone going outside to race offroad in the warmer months) & everyone was slippin' & slidin'. But I had just done the zero rebound setup on my shocks & I think everyone agreed that I was able to find grip a LOT faster than anyone else(especially since I was running in the GT1 class, with the fastest motors allowed in TCS). I was really the only one in GT1 that had a stable car all day, & I'm convinced that the shocks played a significant role in that.....
I'll give it a try on my spare set of shocks. If it doesn't work, I'll revert back to the normal set

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Default chassis setup

hello,

on outdoor pavement, i am finding the car slows down too much mid-corner and i have to wait too long to get back on the throttle. what settings should be adjusted?

thnx!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Which post has the procedure for zero rebound shock? And please explain where the hole is drilled.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

The hole is drilled on the plastic shock cap near where the ball connector snaps in. After drilling the hole, all you need to do is to bleed the shock with the shaft pushed all the way in.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Jonest,
I recommend zero rebound in most conditions. Only on carpet rubber tyre I use a little rebound.

Krat,
With thicker oil you can make the shock without rebound easier then with thin oil. But normally I don't go softer then 450W in any condition.
Shock position: Lay-in the shock in front give little more initial steering, less steering in the corner. Lay-in shocks in the rear gives little more steering, more rotaton less stability.

IQ0,
Thanks! Hopefully I can visit Brunei some day! Let me know when there are any races.

Drag_on,
I recommend to do more testing with the 3.5, this has enough power!

Quantum,
Raise the rollcenters in the front and rear by 0.5mm this increase cornerspeed.
Harder spring in front might help as well.

Hi808,
Exactly. It's very simple to make, just drill 1mm hole.

Jilles
Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

If you was not running a Tamiya would you still run little to no rebound in your shocks? Or does this go for any car?

The only reason i ask is my shocks feel terrible unless i run rebound (Shumacher mi3)

Thanks Jiles, really good thread by the way
Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

Hello Ritchie,

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with Chris Grainger in Luxembourg.
He was testing for the Euros. Chris asked me about rebound and he told me he always runs rebound with his Mi3 in England. I told him I never run rebound and also in Luxembourg. Later on Chris tried no-rebound and he liked it much better! Just try it for your track. In the past with Xray I never really played much with shocks but since I moved to Tamiya I have had so much more experience and testing time.

Jilles
Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JGH
Hello Ritchie,

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with Chris Grainger in Luxembourg.
He was testing for the Euros. Chris asked me about rebound and he told me he always runs rebound with his Mi3 in England. I told him I never run rebound and also in Luxembourg. Later on Chris tried no-rebound and he liked it much better! Just try it for your track. In the past with Xray I never really played much with shocks but since I moved to Tamiya I have had so much more experience and testing time.

Jilles
I tried it for a couple of runs a few weeks back and i honestly couldnt tell the difference! Oh well if its good enough for you and Grainger its good enough for me
Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default saver servo spring

Hi

is what you use original saver servo spring

Thank

Dimitri

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.