Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors >

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Reply

Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
  #826  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,341
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Hi Jilles,

Quick question for you on the split suspension blocks avaliable for the 416. Have you tried these, and if so, what were your thoughts?
I've been running them for a while on the front to avoid bending the C blocks in a hard hit, and everytime I've backed to backed them with the standard block I haven't noticed a difference in the cars handling. Am I missing something here, or is it just a case that they are more fiddly to put shims under?

Cheers
Ed
TryHard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 PM
  #827  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Hi Jilles,

Quick question for you on the split suspension blocks avaliable for the 416. Have you tried these, and if so, what were your thoughts?
I've been running them for a while on the front to avoid bending the C blocks in a hard hit, and everytime I've backed to backed them with the standard block I haven't noticed a difference in the cars handling. Am I missing something here, or is it just a case that they are more fiddly to put shims under?

Cheers
Ed
Hey Ed,

Just a thought but I remember Vinny posting in the 416 thread there was a slight difference between the old blocks and the 416 blocks, maybe the split blocks are a slightly different width to the 1pc blocks you are testing them with?
CraigM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 PM
  #828  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Toh WL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Setapak
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jonest View Post
I meant the height. If they measure the height by using the MuchMore TC gauge means less than 115mm.
Btw jonest where can i get this tool? To what I know I just cut according to the lines on the bodyshell.
Toh WL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 AM
  #829  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
jonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johor, Malaysia
Posts: 3,138
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Hi Jilles,

Quick question for you on the split suspension blocks avaliable for the 416. Have you tried these, and if so, what were your thoughts?
I've been running them for a while on the front to avoid bending the C blocks in a hard hit, and everytime I've backed to backed them with the standard block I haven't noticed a difference in the cars handling. Am I missing something here, or is it just a case that they are more fiddly to put shims under?

Cheers
Ed
Other than reduce the chances of a bent toe block, it should not affect the handling much but in theory, chassis should have slightly more flex. Just my tots.

Originally Posted by Toh WL View Post
Btw jonest where can i get this tool? To what I know I just cut according to the lines on the bodyshell.
Stargek used to bring these and it's hard to find it nowadays. Bought mine in HK.
jonest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 AM
  #830  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I am running split blocks in the front to reduce the chance of bending a block, plus you don't have to remove the block to change the front belt which is always nice.
M-Technic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 AM
  #831  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: England
Posts: 417
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Quick question for you on the split suspension blocks avaliable for the 416. Have you tried these, and if so, what were your thoughts?
I've been running them for a while on the front to avoid bending the C blocks in a hard hit, and everytime I've backed to backed them with the standard block I haven't noticed a difference in the cars handling. Am I missing something here, or is it just a case that they are more fiddly to put shims under?
Hi Ed

Right about now I expected to be trying the two options out back-to-back now I have finally got my split blocks through! Nevermind, its still snowing here (I'm 10 miles straight line to Chatham)! I did try it at Rug Racers last week and couldn't feel any difference at all.

Hoping to make it to my local club this week and don't have anything else in particular to try so will do a back-to-back with the two and let you know what I find. I know Andy & Graham Robson said they didn't feel any difference at all, just stopped them bending the bar.
Oli
Bigger Brother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM
  #832  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 57
Default

jilles : can you share the mini setup you used last Tamiya Cup?

Thanks.
bosschick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
  #833  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JGH View Post
Wayne,
No need to change setting for your new ride. You might need to play little with your balance weight if more weight is reguired.
Hi Jilles,

When you say you may need to play with the balance weight when moving from the WE to the X, do you mean the front to rear balance? Could you explain how you measure it, and what weight distribution you aim for?

Thanks
Craig
CraigM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM
  #834  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Toh WL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Setapak
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jonest View Post
Other than reduce the chances of a bent toe block, it should not affect the handling much but in theory, chassis should have slightly more flex. Just my tots.



Stargek used to bring these and it's hard to find it nowadays. Bought mine in HK.
Oh really, I dunno why they not shipping in. Can't be costly right?
Toh WL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 AM
  #835  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

i think jilles busy practising...
kschu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:56 PM
  #836  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Senna Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Jilles I sure you might have alredy had a chace
to practice with the new muchmore tyre compound

but I thought I would share our findings from from our
recent summer nats. Down here in oz

I was only running 17.5 but the tyre ware was next to none
and a friend of mine ran the same set for both his 3 heats and 3
finals

Our local importer was running mod and only changed for
the last amain run cause he lost a coin test

needless to say I have bought a few extra sets

But them seem to ware alot less the there older compound
and don't grain either

Any way hope to get a chance to meet you at titc a I will
be using your worlds as my base setup
Senna Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:30 PM
  #837  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
jonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johor, Malaysia
Posts: 3,138
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Senna Racing View Post
Jilles I sure you might have alredy had a chace
to practice with the new muchmore tyre compound

but I thought I would share our findings from from our
recent summer nats. Down here in oz

I was only running 17.5 but the tyre ware was next to none
and a friend of mine ran the same set for both his 3 heats and 3
finals

Our local importer was running mod and only changed for
the last amain run cause he lost a coin test

needless to say I have bought a few extra sets

But them seem to ware alot less the there older compound
and don't grain either

Any way hope to get a chance to meet you at titc a I will
be using your worlds as my base setup
Which tyre are you referring to as they have 2 different tires at TITC, Stock class & Mod class each has it's own type.
jonest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:43 PM
  #838  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,311
Default

Originally Posted by Senna Racing View Post
Jilles I sure you might have alredy had a chace
to practice with the new muchmore tyre compound

but I thought I would share our findings from from our
recent summer nats. Down here in oz

I was only running 17.5 but the tyre ware was next to none
and a friend of mine ran the same set for both his 3 heats and 3
finals

Our local importer was running mod and only changed for
the last amain run cause he lost a coin test

needless to say I have bought a few extra sets

But them seem to ware alot less the there older compound
and don't grain either

Any way hope to get a chance to meet you at titc a I will
be using your worlds as my base setup
how do they compare to sorex? looking for a new tire for a possible replacement. Thanks
redbones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM
  #839  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Senna Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jonest;
Which tyre are you referring to as they have 2 different tires at TITC, Stock class & Mod class each has it's own type.
I was referring to mod as they will be using
muchmore's new compound

Redbones

I have also been running sorex 36 but may
switch to the new muchmore 32 with
muchmore rims as they seem to wear
less and get quicker and quicker
the more they are run

but I have only run one event with them
but have purchased 2 more sets

they seem to be as good if not better
Senna Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 AM
  #840  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Yokomo_Ant3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,410
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by redbones View Post
how do they compare to sorex? looking for a new tire for a possible replacement. Thanks
Ive been using the muchmore tires for around 6 months now. They are similar to sorex. This is what i have found. They have slightly more overall grip, but wear slightly quicker. They still have great wear though. Sorex seem to keep working when they are older. I think the Muchmore is the faster tire (Only just), but it definatly overheats quicker. If thats a concern for you. I have tested the MM36.

Hope that helps,

Antoni
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service