Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JGH
Nutsisneat,
Don't bother use any sand paper for rubbing tyres, most of the time I will not use it. My experience on carpet tracks is that new tyres are good from the beginning and you can use the tyres with same performance for a long time.

Jilles
hi jilles, so do you mean you do not sand/scrub your tires at all even for asphalt? just clarifying because i believe nutsisneat was refering to asphalt racing. basically you use the tires fresh from the pack with no additional prep aside from tire sauce maybe?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Jilles what sort of things do you do when maintaining your SP motor? Do you change rotor frequently? Also when you go to some big races, do you use a new motor everytime?

I m going to buy the new SP v3 motor soon and I usually run mod with lipo, can you suggest which motor turns should I get?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Suspension mounts

Hello Gilles and everybody else,

Great thread, with lots of good info.

Recently bought a 416 WE, and am now preparing a list of items I need besides what's already included. I've made a list of suspension mounts, but do you need them all or will you rarely use some of them?

Best,
Peter
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petk
Hello Gilles and everybody else,

Great thread, with lots of good info.

Recently bought a 416 WE, and am now preparing a list of items I need besides what's already included. I've made a list of suspension mounts, but do you need them all or will you rarely use some of them?

Best,
Peter
Probably just one or two regular 1D mounts and one regular 1E mount, plus one each of the TA05-ver2 "split" blocks in 1D & 1C. The split blocks are a good replacement for the rearward-front block that's flipped upside down, which are a weak spot in a crash. The split blocks are mounted with 4 screws and are considerably stronger. They are more difficult to shim for anti-dive and roll center though.

- Typical front block setups are 1C,1C or 1D,1D.
- Typical rear block setups are 1XA,1F (3.5*), 1XA,1E (3*) OR 1XA,1D (2.5*)
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, Jilles

Did you have a race already overthere, It's all quiet overhere.
Hope you doing well.

Regards

Ed IJzerman
Old 09-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

hi, Jilles

I have some questions about rubber tire carpet racing.

1. do you put on tire source same time front and rear ..? or give some time delay? ex) front 20 min, rear 40 min.. ex2) half of front tire 40 min , full of rear tire 40 min

1-1. How do you think about put CA glue on tire sidewall.(sometimes It works! when traction roll occur..)

2. when carpet traction goes high ( maybe the final..? ) how could you change the set-up..? I mean.. traction is high.. possible to traction roll or front nose down so fast...How could you overcome..?

3.I have TA-05 ( not IFS)..on Stock class. 416WE set-up work on TA-05 too? ( like sus block, shock oil, spring ...etc) If not.. can you give me some carpet rubber set-up for TA-05..?

thank you~!

Last edited by joejoe peace !; 09-06-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Last edited by danny_aus; 09-07-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

JGH what's a good way to run your diff position when running them low what does that do? and when running your diff high what does that do.

Thanks David

Last edited by entitymugenmtx; 09-08-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Jilles,

Thanks for your advise the last time round.

I have a question about setups. Do you use the alloy setup wheels when you set the camber of the car? I have a set but the camber set using the setup wheel is different after I attach the rubber tire on the car? Whats the best way to set camber other than what you have showed on RedRC?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Jilles,
I watched your Red RC clips about setting the car up and i am just wondering about when you came to set the ride height.
You mentioned when you where doing it that the car was not perfectly balanced between each side but you set the shock preloads exactly the same on each side i think..
Does doing this not give slightly uneven height on each side of the car for you, and would you advise keeping the shock preloads perfectly equal on each side rather than altering them to try and make the height more perfect...? (I think my height is probably 0.3-0.4 out when its set with them equal)
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

jilles, good luck on ur move to shepherd !

btw, im just curious why u choose to leave serpent and join shepherd ??
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Damper spring

Hi, Jilles

About damper spring, what is the difference between HPI and Tamiya? Because I often see HPI silver spring in your setup sheet.

BTW, would you please help tell me what is the performance difference in below spring setup list (if using the same damper positon, piston and oil)?

1. Front: Tamiya yellow
Rear: Tamiay yellow

2. Front: Tamiay blue
Rear: Tamiya yellow

3. Front: HPI Silver
Rear: HPI Silver

4. Front: HPI Pink
Rear: HPI Silver

Thank you very much
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I think the TRF guys are competing in modified rubber class at the IIC in Vegas. If that's the case you may not hear from Jilles for a while. Best of luck to the team!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

Hello Guys,

Feels like yesterday that I replied the posts but it's already a week ago!

ROBORAT,
Sometimes I have sand my tyres for asphalt racing, but as I explain before 90% of the races I don't do it. For carpet racing I never sand the tyres.

dameetz,
Actually I use my motors pretty long time, I have had several motors but I use many times the same motor for races. I don't change the rotor often, only clean the motor ones every 20 packs. For Lipo modified I suggest 4.5T or maybe even a 5.5. Last week I have done some testing wth Lipo and 4.0T is too fast for me.

Peter,
I'm not sure which suspension blocks are in the kit but these are the blocks you should have.
- Front 1C - 1C or 1D - 1D, sometimes 1B - 1D
- Rear 1XA - 1E or 1X - 1E/F maybe for stock 1X - 1D
Ah yes, the TA-05 blocks are pretty good.

Hello Ed,
It's not really quiet here in Thailand. I ran already 1/8 on-road, 1/8 Buggy and TC. Every week there are several races here in Bangkok with attendence of Surikarn, Hara and Meen so it's pretty good racing overhere!

Joe,
For carpet I normally use about half time additive in the front compare to the rear.
Glue on the sidewall helps for traction roll.

Actually in the finals normally there is less traction as many people walking on the track before main and sometimes delays.
But I never change set-up I only play with the time of the additive and how much to apply on the front tyres.

I don't have any experience or set-up of the TA-05

David,
Low diff --> more rear traction
High diff --> less traction --> more rotation/steering

Mike,
Set-up wheel is always the best way to check camber. The problem is that a tyre is never round so it's hard to measure the right camber.

Cyclone,
With 5 cell battery and the pre-loud of the dampers the same, the ride-height differents is about 0.1/0.2 only on the motor side.
This is very little, so I never tweak this with the pre-load of the shock.
Most important to check the shocks and springs if they are equal.

Kschu,
Thanks. I have made only a deal with Serpent for two races, this was also because Shepherd didn't finish the 1/10 yet.
When I wanted to go to the Worlds 1/8 Serpent had no budget for me.
Shepherd is working really hard and want to invest in me as I will be racing here in Thailand full time so I can test and prepare for big races.

srw_g
Tamiya spring is more linear spring, HPI more progressive.
I use Tamiya spring when I race on carpet, HPI when I race asphalt.
On carpet the Tamiya spring is smooth to drive, HPI is too aggresive.
HPI spring on asphalt gives more traction.

1. Tamiya Yellow --> easy drive
2. Tamiya Blue/Yellow --> easy drive little more initital steering

3.HPI Silver --> good traction
4 HPI PINK/Silver --> more initial steering, good for highspeed cornering

Veecee,
None of the TRF drivers are racing the IIC. Only Hupo is there driving 1/12 scale.

Till next time,
JIlles
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JGH
Veecee,
None of the TRF drivers are racing the IIC. Only Hupo is there driving 1/12 scale.
WTF!?!?!?

I was looking forward to meeting you in person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.