JGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #512
Tech Regular

Jilles you have PM.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi Jilles. Does removing the steering brace give more flex and so more steering - entry, mid corner or exit?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #514
Tech Adept

Hi there!!

I was just wondering if the 416WE chassi kit is suitable for foam tire racing? if not, is there any options out there so it could be suitable for it? any advise is helpful since i really want this kit, but rubber tire modified/Stock is not so popular here, and 10.5 foam spec W/lipo class is the most popular class here.
Ohh i forgot to say our track is about medium grip i would say.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #515
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother

Hi Jilles. I hope you are enjoying Thailand!

Hopefully a quick question - I see many of your setups now use an extra 0.5mm under the front blocks - ie running 0.5mm on the front front block and 1mm on the front rear, rather than 0 and 0.5. Can you explain what this does to the car, and would this now be your 'standard' starting point? (If not, what would make you switch to it?)

Thanks in advance!

Oli
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #516
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thread Bump.
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #517
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGH View Post
I arrived last weekend in Bangkok.
Jilles: time to come over to Manila! remember during the worlds we talked about this with scotty and the rest of the Philippine contingent. haha ... anyway, good to know you're in the Asia Region. Bangkok is always great fun! Good luck racing!

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #518
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bigger [email protected] good question i want ask the same
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #519
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Brother View Post

Hopefully a quick question - I see many of your setups now use an extra 0.5mm under the front blocks - ie running 0.5mm on the front front block and 1mm on the front rear, rather than 0 and 0.5. Can you explain what this does to the car, and would this now be your 'standard' starting point? (If not, what would make you switch to it?)

Thanks in advance!

Oli
This raises the front roll center while maintaining the same amount of anti-dive. I think it's done to increase front roll stiffness. As for how that makes the car drive, I have no idea...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #520
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
This raises the front roll center while maintaining the same amount of anti-dive. I think it's done to increase front roll stiffness. As for how that makes the car drive, I have no idea...
We tried this setting during our last weekend meet and the car handles far more better. The only thing we haven't try was raise the rear roll centre by another 0.5mm (1mm in total on both rear toe blocks). We'll certainly try it this weekend.

Jilles, we're certainly having fun with the car with your invaluable tips and tricks however we hope to see some minor hop ups which will make the car edge further perhaps? eg:-

1) Ball diff pulley cover - to reduce dust / dirt (thou we use stickers for time being)
2) More durable / easier to replace spool cup

Maybe you could feedback to Japan if ur agreeable to the above suggs.

Dank u
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #521
Tech Fanatic

Jilles,

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading in one of your posts you run the TRF fluorine sealed bearings. If so, how do you go about cleaning the grime off the outside?

I used a small soft makeup brush to dust them off and it seemed to push a lot of grit inside past the seal. At least that was the case for the large 1510 diff bearings...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #522
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Brother View Post

Oli
What kind of difference is there between using 0.5 mm under the blocks and using hole #1 for the inner camber links? I know that they both raise the roll center, but is it just a matter of how much?
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #523
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808 View Post
What kind of difference is there between using 0.5 mm under the blocks and using hole #1 for the inner camber links? I know that they both raise the roll center, but is it just a matter of how much?
Messing with the lower control arm mounts has a much more drastic effect on roll center than the upper camber link. Here's a pic I made to demonstrate. Both the upper & lower link are moved the same amount, but look at the difference in RC change between the two (first is upper link, second is lower link):

Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #524
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You could plug the numbers into the advanced rc calculator on tryhards site to see the differences.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #525
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
Jilles,

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading in one of your posts you run the TRF fluorine sealed bearings. If so, how do you go about cleaning the grime off the outside?

I used a small soft makeup brush to dust them off and it seemed to push a lot of grit inside past the seal. At least that was the case for the large 1510 diff bearings...
I never touch my bearings or brush them off, etc. The coating of dirt/dust on the outside actually provides a protective barrier. I only replaced my bearings recently after owning the car for 18 months and running at least fortnightly. And that was only because 2 bearings felt gritty - these were the outside rear axle bearings - all the others were totally grit free despite having dirt on the outside.