R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #1951
Tech Regular

Orion motor question -

I was curious if anyone knew the motor setup that Naoki Watanabe and Kazuma Murai had used at the 2011 Japan Nationals to finish 1st and 2nd in stock 1/12.

Or does anyone have a good starting point for rollout and timing with the VST 17.5 in 1/12th scale?
avink007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #1952
Tech Initiate

Hi Jilles,

Regarding your last post, you answered to srw_g about treating tires, you mentioned that the treatment depends on surface treatment, and you said "It also depends if the track is treated with sugar water or not."

Here were i race we usually use MR33 that works great and sometimes Tire tweak 2000, both with LRP/Nosram 30X tires when track is not sugar water treated, what recomendations do you sugest when there is sugar on the track?

How would you recomend to prepare tires before a heat in that situation? saucing tires method, heating time, heating temperature, ....

Thanks in advance.

Regards!!
columbia-mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #1953
JGH
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour View Post
hi Jilles,I need your help team orion r10 pro (2S-3S)I started using.but I use 5.5T engine is a 4.5 t He receives me slow mode sofwere I would like to install the software in stock but team orion site has a little note..
Stock motor firmware is only for stock motors! Low wind motors will be damaged with this firmware.Given this note can not do anything..could you help me.and the mode sofwere setup and stock setup sofwere you give me please..mideum size track.
Hi, it's no problem to use Stock software for Modified motors but you need to know what your are doing and check the temp all the time. My Worlds set-up is online on the team-orion website and this is with Stock software. For medium size track I recommend Mod software as this is easier to drive, more smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
How important do you find balancing your sedan to be? Left to right balance specifically.
I usually put the Lipo as close to the belt as possible, this will have the best left-right balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear View Post
Jilles, how do you build the new 417 aeration dampers?
Here are the follow steps to build the shocks.
- take the screw out from the cap
- fill the shock, little bit over the top and also put some oil in the cap.
- close the shock with the cap and push the rod slowly all the way up
- now the oil must come out ( let the shock bleed )
- close the cap with the screw and the shock is ready to go

Note: for best performance you should do the shock every run
no need to replace all the oil just fill it up a bit, takes 5 min for 4 shocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter. View Post
hello jilles

with how many Amp discharge you your lipo's

gr peter
After I run my lipo's I never discharge them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcotiks View Post
Hey Jilles,
With the different shocks you ran at the worlds, what made you switch to them and how did you know they would be beneficial?
And with the new motor mount in the 417wx, is it a new piece all together that raises the motor off the chassis and has reverse key pins for added strength? (i understand you shimmed up the motor mount in your setup...)
Thanks!
The new shock for me had more traction, especially under medium grip track such as the worlds. For hi grip I recommend using the standard Tamiya shocks. The V5 motormount is 1mm higher then the 417X but the motor position is same as 417X. At the Worlds we ran 1mm higher motor position. The key pins under the motormount are for less tweak .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUK82 View Post
HI Jilles

I use the TRF417 and i have a problem when braking ...

with the 3.5T on small track,based carpet, when I'm braking so violent the spur gear is smash

(on the radio: exponential braking at 0 = linear / % braking on the radio to 70%, spur gear 87 T mod 48 / pinion 17 T final gear ratio 9, 92)

is normal to have these problems with a 3.5T?

the manual show use a maximum spur gear 113T mod64 with 23T pinion gear mod 64 for having 9.57 of final gear ratio
I recommend not to use 3.5T on any conditions. I have done some tests with 3.5T and it's simply too fast for any driver and the laptime will be slower. I also believe the spurgear can be damaged under braking as the force is much higher then using 4.5T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontang001 View Post
Master Jilles
1. I bought a Orion R10, but now I want to use it for stock race. Where and how can I to change it into blink software?
2. I ordered your champ car the V5. And, can you advise some trick about the new shock? Is the new shock can use only on low traction condition and open big track or we can change some thing to make it on high traction condition or technical track?

Thanks in advance!
1. You need to have the box to set it into blicky mode.
2. I explained how to build the shock a few replies back.
I recommend to use the shock only when there is low grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badKarma View Post
Jilles,
same question...I was wondering if there is a way to change the R10/R10 Pro into "blinky" mode without the control box? every review I have seen and read has the testers using the control box, but how many features of the R10 can be used manually without the box? thanks
You need the box in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersing View Post
Hi JG

I have some questions on the 417 V5 to ask.

1. What are the benefits of aeration dampers? are they better for high or low traction asphalt?

2. Are the narrower front suspension blocks that come with the car meant for high traction asphalt, for faster cornering speed? Would the suspension blocks set up with Front - 1D, 1D, Rear - 1XA and 1E be better for low traction asphalt?

3. Is the new lower deck without cut outs meant for high traction tracks because it has less flex?

Thanks
1. I answered that a few replies back.
2 The suspension blocks in the kit are the same I used at the Worlds.
For lower grip I recommend to run a wider car.
3. The V5 lowerdeck is slightly stiffer then the 417X lowerdeck, the lowerdeck has been tested at all different conditions and found better in any conditions as it's more consistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygt View Post
Hi Jillies,

Can you please explain how to properly prepare the Aeration dampers?

I have tried a few different o-ring combinations but non seem to keep the full "suction" for 1 whole run.

The original kit o-rings become dry too fast.

Every time i check after one run the damper has half rebound and half suction.

This makes a very inconsistent damper compared to original TRF.

Maybe i am doing something wrong?
I use the blue tamiya o-rings, for the shocks I recommend to rebuild them every battery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Could you give us a little insight on how to prep your foam tires for 1/12.

What traction compound do you use?
How long do you let the compound soak in for the fronts and rears?
What do you use to clean off the tire compound with? Tire paper, cloth.. what do you use?

If you can give a step by step process that would be awesome!

Cheers,

Edward.
Usually the rear tyres can be treated 30 min before the race, front tyres about half of that time. If traction increase the treatment time is shorter, sometimes only 10 min for rear tyres! At the Worlds 1/12 I used Markus Mobers traction compound, similar as LRP carpet 2 or CS yellow.
If you need to use the tyres again you can clean them with motorspray.
Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grauco View Post
Hi,
Do you know if the v5 servo mount can be install on the 417x chasis?
You can but you need to cut the pin and make sure you use long screws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C van der Hagen View Post
Jilles, which brand spur gears do you use?
I use the standard kit spurs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avink007 View Post
Orion motor question -

I was curious if anyone knew the motor setup that Naoki Watanabe and Kazuma Murai had used at the 2011 Japan Nationals to finish 1st and 2nd in stock 1/12.

Or does anyone have a good starting point for rollout and timing with the VST 17.5 in 1/12th scale?
I think you can find some 1/12 set-ups at the Team-Orion website under downloads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia-mk2 View Post
Hi Jilles,

Regarding your last post, you answered to srw_g about treating tires, you mentioned that the treatment depends on surface treatment, and you said "It also depends if the track is treated with sugar water or not."

Here were i race we usually use MR33 that works great and sometimes Tire tweak 2000, both with LRP/Nosram 30X tires when track is not sugar water treated, what recomendations do you sugest when there is sugar on the track?

How would you recomend to prepare tires before a heat in that situation? saucing tires method, heating time, heating temperature, ....

Thanks in advance.

Regards!!
I can't really tell what is best, it depends on many things. Usually I first test all different additives when I come to a new track so I have an idea what additive is best. After I will play around with cleaner and also tyre warmers to see the laptimes in the beginning of the race and end of the race.
JGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #1954
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Jilles, I'm running the R10 pro speedo and wanted clarification on what the difference is between the turbo timing and boost timing?
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #1955
JGH
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Hi Jilles, I'm running the R10 pro speedo and wanted clarification on what the difference is between the turbo timing and boost timing?
The boost timing will "kick in" depends on the start rpm. The turbo timing will come in after hit full throttle and turbo delay time.

So basicly the boost timing is a extra timing over the whole range, turbo timing is extra timing usually only on the main straight.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #1956
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGH View Post

I can't really tell what is best, it depends on many things. Usually I first test all different additives when I come to a new track so I have an idea what additive is best. After I will play around with cleaner and also tyre warmers to see the laptimes in the beginning of the race and end of the race.
jilles, is it mean you do all this first before you start setup-ing your car??
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1957
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGH View Post
The boost timing will "kick in" depends on the start rpm. The turbo timing will come in after hit full throttle and turbo delay time.

So basicly the boost timing is a extra timing over the whole range, turbo timing is extra timing usually only on the main straight.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, it gives me a better understanding vs just adding #s and going by feel.
I saw your 10.5 boosted setting and gear ratio. 5.7 seems low. What temps and motor timing were you running with those settings?
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #1958
Tech Apprentice

84179 TAMIYA TRF417 Center One-Way Set can i use this item on tamiya trf416
ipanmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #1959
Tech Apprentice

Hi Jilles,

How do u maintain your lipos?

1. How long Do u keep it at full charge?
2. At what voltage u store it? 3.4v?
3. Or at what percent u store it? 60%?
4. How long max time u keep it at storage before wake it back to life?

Much opinion and debates on this matter. Thanks in advance and Congatulation for being World Champ!
squalleonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #1960
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squalleonde View Post
Hi Jilles,

Much opinion and debates on this matter. Thanks in advance and Congatulation for being World Champ!
I saw him post not too long ago that he doesn't discharge his packs. He just stores after runs...

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #1961
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Jilles, Can you explain the different effect you might feel by changing the DRRS setting on the Orion R10 pro.

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #1962
JGH
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
jilles, is it mean you do all this first before you start setup-ing your car??
Usually I first run some packs to see how the standard set-up works. If the setup of the car is ok I will play first with additives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Thanks, it gives me a better understanding vs just adding #s and going by feel.
I saw your 10.5 boosted setting and gear ratio. 5.7 seems low. What temps and motor timing were you running with those settings?
I usually always pretty much on the motor temp limit, about 90 degrees celcius. For the motor timing I usually use about 10 degree of timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipanmina View Post
84179 TAMIYA TRF417 Center One-Way Set can i use this item on tamiya trf416
The width of the bulkheads on the 417 is more narrow then the 416 so I'm pretty sure this doesn't fit. Honestly I think a standard fixed center pulli will perform better then a one-way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squalleonde View Post
Hi Jilles,

I usually never store or discharge any lipo. After I run, I just leave the Lipo and the next time I just charge it again. I recommend to use the Lipo minimum one time a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Jilles, Can you explain the different effect you might feel by changing the DRRS setting on the Orion R10 pro.
For me i use alwasys max. DRRS for stock and nr.7 in Modified. I feel slightly drop in power when I go lower DRRS.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #1963
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Jilles, are you running the new VST2 motors yet? Thiughts on them if you are. I can't wait to get my hands on them and the new cells soon. .

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #1964
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi Jilles,

Some questions regarding shock o-rings:

What o-rings are you using in the "old" TRF shocks? Still the blue o-rings or are the x-rings better now?

Do you add shims other than the plastic spacer?

When do you decide to run 2 o-rings instead of 1? On what track conditions are 2 o-rings better than 1?

Thanks!
Craig
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1965
Tech Rookie

Hello Jilles,

Do you think we can ever expect a TRF-spec FF chassis from Tamiya, i.e. built to the same spec as the TRF TC's?

Do you run the FF03 w Upgrade kit at the TITC? Setup?
FF-forever is offline   Reply With Quote