Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
Hi Jille's,

I am just wondering which way the shock shaft guide goes in after you put the oring in in the TRF dampers? There is a face that has a groove cut into it and a face that is flat.

I seem to have misplaced my instructions

Thanks

Josh
Josh

Groove down facing the outside. You can always download Tamiya instructions from the Tamiya site
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default front traction

hi jilles..

hope you can help me out!

I race a trf416we 13.5 with boost with the following setup at JP Raceway (i believe you have tried running here before)

I have too much steering for the first 3-5 laps and then it goes away and settles down (which i like) what can cause this? i did not change anything for 5 batts to make sure i wasnt only imagining it. but its still there. does having less toe-in in the rear better for stock with boost?

what settings should i try?

Here's my setup:

I also built a front diff with blue tack putty... very tight but i can still rotate using tires. this is mainly so i can take better care of the transmission. what adjustments should i take?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I run a 416x with a Speed Passion 21.5 Citrix Club Spec set-up on asphalt. Of course all car's are closely match speed wise so it all come's down to set-up.

I found a good set-up for my low grip flowing track, but was wondering what changes should I be considering with the car as the grip comes up.

I'm not certain of area's in which to focus on. Is it roll center, springs, shock oil weight.

Some suggestions on what to consider would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

jilles on your snowbird set-up on your 417 did you cut your motor mount?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a quick one for you guys:

What is the best Tamiya body to run in Sedan or GT1??

Was going to run B4 but it is discontinued!

Regards
Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You mean the Subaru B4?

If so then it is true it is discontinued.
But there is a new one
Part number 53824

regards Roy

Originally Posted by Starteur
Here's a quick one for you guys:

What is the best Tamiya body to run in Sedan or GT1??

Was going to run B4 but it is discontinued!

Regards
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is supposed to be discontinued also!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hmmmmmmmm weird as i just recieved one last friday and there is a second one on it's way to me
Check http://cgi.ebay.nl/Tamiya-53824-RC-B...item4aae2156c2
And http://cgi.ebay.nl/Tamiya-53824-RC-B...item35b4dfa2e1

regards Roy

Originally Posted by Starteur
It is supposed to be discontinued also!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

First of all my excuses for not being around so long time. Busy times with Euros and moving back to Thailand again! Anyway, I'm back in Asia and more motivated then ever.

Originally Posted by TryHard
Thanks Jilles,

I'll be giving the thick oil/soft spring a try next time I head to the outdoor track. Same for the speedo settings, I think I just got fully lost there! One final question, I've always aimed to get the motor to rev out on the longest straight. Where you say you like to gear a little bigger, do you look for this? or just go more for the smoothness on the infield?

Concentrating on the indoor track at RCI at the moment (Rick Wang's place), traction is similar to what I remember at RC City.. so it's great fun
I did try the cut deck there last weekend, for me it made the car quite bitey, would dig in inconsistently. Fastest laps were similar, but the average was down, so went back to the standard deck, and the car felt good again. Just need to find that thumb transplant hop-up...

Cheers
Ed
Hi Ed, Did you try the bigger pinion? I think this is better if the motor rev out too much. In my opinion the bigger gear also makes it smoother in the infield.

Originally Posted by Tron
Hello Jilles,

Thanks again for being here to answer questions on behalf of Tamiya...

I'm wondering about the front suspension mount spacers. I see in most of your setup sheets for high bite you run the front suspension blocks without any spacer under them. Kit setup is to put 0.5 under F/F and F/R with 0.5mm of antidive.

Lately I have been running 0.5mm F/F and 1.0mm F/R with split blocks to get 0.5mm anti dive and this is on high grip asphalt indoor.

Could you explain which situations you would want to run the mounts on the chassis and when you would want to run the 0.5mm under the mounts? What type of grip level and how is steering feel affected? Does this change to the front and not to the rear upset the overall balance of 417? I don't mean the use of anti-dive thogh...I personally like to run antidive on our track for stability, due to braking into some turns.

Secondly, can you explain what tuning the wheelbase will do? Say if I shorten or lengthen the front only, or rear only, or both what conditions would I want to utilize the different wheel bases?

Thanks again

Brett
With the 417 I have find a good set-up by using 0mm FF and 0.5mm FR to make 0.5mm antidive. With 0.5FF and 1.0mm FR the car gets more lazy and has not enough steering. Some track both FF and FR without spacers is worth a try, same as WC 2010 setup. Wheelbase change is changing the weight balance of the car. Most set-up now we use 3.5mm in the rear and 0.5mm in the front which brings the weight of the car more forward. This give better balance and more steering.

Originally Posted by TA.man
Hello Jilles,

I would like to know about life of TRF417, because I would like to change a new TRF chassis as soon.

- about new chassis, when ?

i think TRF417 is 1 year ago.

regards,
TRF417 will stay for a while as I'm sure we use this at WC 2012.

Originally Posted by roger999
Hi Jilles
can you tell me how do you practise? How often and how long? Only on the track or on VRC as well? Hard to be on the track often... Mayby you have some special advice for that?
Normally I go to the track 4 or 5 day a week and be there most of the day. Sometimes prepare the car with little practise, sometimes run pack after pack but always make some small changes on the set-up. I never have played VRC as I think it not really match with the real thing, however for the beginner it can be a good practise tool.

Originally Posted by BCDK
Hi Jilles.

Really nice to read your coments and tips. Go on with that.

I see, that you nearly allways use 1C/1C blocks with spacers at the wheels in the front. Have you tried 1D/1D or even 1E/1E blocks and then no spacers instead? Allmost the same wide...

Look forward to see you at the Euros in Austria.

Bjarne - Denmark
With 1D or 1E in the front the car doesn't have enough steering, that's why we always use 1C with 0.5 wheel spacer.

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Dragging the thread back from PAGE 5 OUCH

With the Team Orion speedies hitting the shelves, are there any suggested setups from your recent travels.
I see that the software has a new version number, any significant changes from the older software?

The ESC itself looks AWESOME, but whoever thought up the new switch and capacitor shrouds needs a good hard look in the mirror. They are HUGE
Set-ups of teamdrivers will be soon on the Orion website.
The older software still had some small bugs, not sure what changed more.
If you want you can take off the case of the capacitor easily.

Originally Posted by CHICO1977
Hi i was wondering what Servo saver were u n Marc using?
At this moment we no longer use a servo saver but only servo horn from Sanwa, the one who comes with the servo and cut to only one side

Originally Posted by johnny-g
i too would like to know if new/2012 kit comming with some of the seen proto parts, cheers and thanx for going the extra mile jilles with this forum,u r a credit to youre sponsors
Sure for 2012 will have some new parts but the basic will stay as 417. We have been testing some new chassis tweaks with great results.

Originally Posted by Nilks
Hi Jilles,

Do you use shims between the upper and lower bulkheads on the 417, or was that only with the old car?

Best regards,
Niklas
We only did this on the 416 as the topdeck was too low for the 25mm batteries.

Originally Posted by theoneandonly
Hi Jillies,

Knowing that the electronics' side are alittle heavier than the battery side,do you put lead or weights on the battery side to balance the car?
Try to put the electronics as close to the middle as possible and move the batteries about 3mm from the belt and the car is nicely balanced. If not, add additional weight on the front right side and rear right side.

Originally Posted by franc furter
Jilles, running your snowbirds setup on high grip carpet. What changes would you make to avoid traction roll? thanks!
Run blue Tamiya spring front instead of white and go 10W softer in shock oil.
Glue the side wall of the tyre also helps a lot!

Originally Posted by tmomedrano
hi jilles..

hope you can help me out!

I race a trf416we 13.5 with boost with the following setup at JP Raceway (i believe you have tried running here before)

I have too much steering for the first 3-5 laps and then it goes away and settles down (which i like) what can cause this? i did not change anything for 5 batts to make sure i wasnt only imagining it. but its still there. does having less toe-in in the rear better for stock with boost?

what settings should i try?

Here's my setup:

I also built a front diff with blue tack putty... very tight but i can still rotate using tires. this is mainly so i can take better care of the transmission. what adjustments should i take?
This sounds like a tyre/additive problem as you say after a few laps it settles down. Try different additive or different apply times. Like 30 min rear and 5 min front to avoid too much traction in the beginning of the race.
If you have too much steering I suggest using spool instead of geardiff. Geardiff is fast but more difficult to drive when it's high traction.

Originally Posted by aussierevo
I run a 416x with a Speed Passion 21.5 Citrix Club Spec set-up on asphalt. Of course all car's are closely match speed wise so it all come's down to set-up.

I found a good set-up for my low grip flowing track, but was wondering what changes should I be considering with the car as the grip comes up.

I'm not certain of area's in which to focus on. Is it roll center, springs, shock oil weight.

Some suggestions on what to consider would be appreciated.
Usually the Tamiya car balance doesn't change much when the track condition change. For higher traction I suggest to use harder spring for better cornerspeed.

Originally Posted by transplantlife
jilles on your snowbird set-up on your 417 did you cut your motor mount?
No, the snowbirds was one of the first races with the new car and I didn't tested the cut motor mount yet. I think on high grip the difference is very little. Sure next year I will test cut and original at the snowbirds!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

thank you for the rpely Jilles! will test this soon.. when i played with setup after running yesterday (more steering) the compound effect is less obvious. i also tried the putty diff which i like i feel not so much difference with a spool but this will have to be tested back to back.

last question,

how often do you replace the internal gears in your gear diff V2?

my first one slipped after 5 batts (maybe breaking it in in the bench is not a good idea). i bought another one and put 0.1 shim in addition to the shim supplied in the kit. hopefully it will last longer

More power jilles!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JGH
Hi Ed, Did you try the bigger pinion? I think this is better if the motor rev out too much. In my opinion the bigger gear also makes it smoother in the infield.
Hi Jilles,

Yes tried the bigger pinions and backed the ESC settings down a lot... much smoother. Have now gone to a 5.5t (my throttle finger isn't yet smooth enough!), and that is smoother still, and just using turbo for the straight.
Also found that adding 10% drag brake has really helped to settle the car, and also seems to aid my braking stability as well

Have you heard any rumors about an ATS? Hearing things here myself, would be great if such a series was too happen

Regards
Ed
Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks Jilles for the suggestion. thanks for taking the time, much appreciated

Last edited by aussierevo; 09-05-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi Jilles, do you know if you will be making the FEMCA Championships in Sydney later this month?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Tire traction

Hi Jilles,

Which are the tire traction compounds you use on new carpet? Are you still using the same ones as two years ago?

Is there an expiry date on tire traction compounds? Mine are two years old.. Would they still have the same effect, or should it be safer to use newer ones?

Thanks,
CRiXMAN
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default gear diff in front

Hello jilles,

when you use a gear diff in front, can you give me some advice, I think oil alone is too soft?! do you use a potty? if so, what?

thanks!

greeting daniel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.