R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #151
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think there's either a disconnect with my U.S. English and European/. Netherlands English or I am totally lost. I'm college educated as well....but maybe I missed that class. I don't understand this word "ballast". I looked it up on dictionary.com. I think what they are talking about is just adding lead weight (AE weight,etc)...but I wanna make sure. Please someone help me. Heres what it said:

bal⋅last
   /ˈbæləst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bal-uhst] Show IPA
–noun
1. Nautical. any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability.
2. Aeronautics. something heavy, as bags of sand, placed in the car of a balloon for control of altitude and, less often, of attitude, or placed in an aircraft to control the position of the center of gravity.
3. anything that gives mental, moral, or political stability or steadiness: the ballast of a steady income.
4. gravel, broken stone, slag, etc., placed between and under the ties of a railroad to give stability, provide drainage, and distribute loads.
5. Electricity.
a. Also called ballast resistor. a device, often a resistor, that maintains the current in a circuit at a constant value by varying its resistance in order to counteract changes in voltage.
b. a device that maintains the current through a fluorescent or mercury lamp at the desired constant value, sometimes also providing the necessary starting voltage and current.
–verb (used with object)
6. to furnish with ballast: to ballast a ship.
7. to give steadiness to; keep steady: parental responsibilities that ballast a person.
—Idiom
8. in ballast, Nautical. carrying only ballast; carrying no cargo.
ab1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #152
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1105 View Post
I think there's either a disconnect with my U.S. English and European/. Netherlands English or I am totally lost. I'm college educated as well....but maybe I missed that class. I don't understand this word "ballast". I looked it up on dictionary.com. I think what they are talking about is just adding lead weight (AE weight,etc)...but I wanna make sure. Please someone help me. Heres what it said:

bal⋅last
   /ˈbæləst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bal-uhst] Show IPA
–noun
1. Nautical. any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability.
2. Aeronautics. something heavy, as bags of sand, placed in the car of a balloon for control of altitude and, less often, of attitude, or placed in an aircraft to control the position of the center of gravity.
3. anything that gives mental, moral, or political stability or steadiness: the ballast of a steady income.
4. gravel, broken stone, slag, etc., placed between and under the ties of a railroad to give stability, provide drainage, and distribute loads.
5. Electricity.
a. Also called ballast resistor. a device, often a resistor, that maintains the current in a circuit at a constant value by varying its resistance in order to counteract changes in voltage.
b. a device that maintains the current through a fluorescent or mercury lamp at the desired constant value, sometimes also providing the necessary starting voltage and current.
–verb (used with object)
6. to furnish with ballast: to ballast a ship.
7. to give steadiness to; keep steady: parental responsibilities that ballast a person.
—Idiom
8. in ballast, Nautical. carrying only ballast; carrying no cargo.

Ballast is weight, plain and simple.
As Adam said, by altering the position of the weight in the car, you alter the static weight distribution, which will have an effect on the performance of the car.
Weight transfer is controlled by the springs, roll-centres etc.

Seems to me to just be a bit of mis-comunication Lets try to keep the thread on topic

Ed
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #153
JGH
Tech Adept

Smoke81,
Normally on asphalt always front and rear full additive. On carpet, specially on foam I use not always full in front but depending on how much front traction I need I apply the additive.

ab1105,
In europe the most weight I need to add is approx. 30 gr, so I always put it on the battery side to get better balance.
I think weight of the car always needs to be in between the front and rear tyres.

Orzel24,
Normally with 3.5 motor timing between b and c.
4 turn little more in the middle.
Gearing for 4,0 turn on big track around 7.4-7.8

I just read the whole ballast/weight posts and I think it's simple. On the 416 you need to add maximum 30 gr of weight depending on which class you run. Use 5 cell or lipo put all the weight on the battery side till you reached the minimum weight limit. WHen using 6 cell add the weight in front of the car to get "easy drive" in the back if you need more steering.

Ed, thanks for your last post, keep this thread on topic!
JGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #154
Tech Master

Hi Jilles,

when you measure your front droop, where do you do it? On the arms or the c-hub?

I was told to increase the front droop since I felt like I had too much on power steering. The car wants to keep steering on corner exit and have to ease off on the throttle or counter steer. Any other suggestions? I am using your base asphalt setup.

Thanks
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #155
Tech Addict

Thank You!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #156
Tech Adept

Hi Jilles,

I would like to know your motor setup on a track like Heemstede ?
Which motor ? Speed control setup ? And Ratio ?

Regards,
Manu
Manu_05' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #157
Tech Fanatic

Hello Jilles,

I have a few questions for you on servo setup.

first, are you running any shims between the servo ball stud and the arm, in order to move the servo's ball stud a little more forward?

Second, when your wheels are in the straight forward position, is your servo horn straight up in the center position or is it angled slightly towards the middle of the car?

Lastly, which Make and model servo are you running?

Thanks, Chris
Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #158
Tech Regular

Hello Jilles,

Can you explain on driving technique.
How to get into corners. When and where to brake & throttle. and how to get faster cornering speed.

Thanks.
ammaramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #159
Tech Addict

Jilles:

On your radio where do you normally run the following:

1. Steering expo
2. Brake Expo
3. Brake %
Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #160
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

time for a little bump

Jilles,
When would you look towards running the HPI springs over tha tamiya ones? I tried out HPI silvers all round last weekend when the grip was up at the local track, and the balance felt quite a bit better than it had on the White/Blues.

I also have another Q about the shocks... there's two types of delrin spacer around I've noticed, which of the two do you use? I measured them up, and the one with the recess on one side is a bigger outer diameter (and seems to fit in the shock body better), but thinner... whilst the other is just solid on both sides.
Also, if it is the recessed one, which way round do you put it into the shock... or am I worrying too much

Cheers
Ed
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #161
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Jilles

Tried your LRP Masters 2009 setup tonight, as is, except for the wheel base changes (i'm a little lazy i'm afraid!). I found that the car had lots of steering and was great pretty much everywhere but was loose on the turn in for the hairpin at the end of the straight and again at another hairpin after another very fast section of the track, could you give me some suggestions about what to change to help this? would the wheelbase changes make a difference to this issue - I imagined it would make the car rotate more thus increasing the problem or would it allow the rear to follow the front more easily?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Paul
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #162
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
time for a little bump

Jilles,
When would you look towards running the HPI springs over tha tamiya ones? I tried out HPI silvers all round last weekend when the grip was up at the local track, and the balance felt quite a bit better than it had on the White/Blues.

Ed
Hi Ed
Wouldnt you expect the balance to change, running Tamiya's with different ratings when going to anything else with the same ratings front and rear?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #163
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi jilles

i know it is a TRF416 thread but would you have some advive / setups for a TRF415MSXX ??

i run one outside at Groningen and am struggling for grip on the slower parts of the track

i have ordered the short arm conversion but was wondering if you can help

cheeRS phil

see you at ETS apeldoorn
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #164
JGH
Tech Adept

redbones,
Yes, front droop I measure under the front arm.
I suggest to use more downstop to get more easy drive. So 6mm or more front droop.

Manu,
At the Heemstede track I use 3.5Turns 12.5 rotor, timing between B and C. Gearing 7.97 (105/27) Punch program 3 on speedo.

Hello Chris,
Attached some pics of my car with the steering. I have angled the servoservo little bit to the inside.
I use Ko Servo 2365.

Ammaramira,
I can't really explain the right driver technique, I think every driver has it's one technique. With the coming of the spool in Touring car most of the good drivers had to change their technique by using more brake and more from corner to corner driving, not smooth anymore.

ab1105,
1. Steering expo between -25 and -30
2. Brake expo 0
3. Brake 100%

Ed,
I found the Tamiya spring(white/blue) always better on carpet and better on highbite big tracks. The HB springs seems to be little better on small/medium asphalt track with medium traction.
I think you should use the spacer with the recess on one side. I think the manual use this spacer.

Paul,
You can try to stood up the rear shock one more. Or go little softer oil in rear, maybe 400. Try 1.4mm rear swaybar. I think Viktor used this swaybar at the LRP in the rear and he said it felt more stable.

Phil,
I never have driven the 415 but for sure the short arms are always an improvement. I know the Groningen track a little bit and I think you should run little softer oil in the rear and harder in front ( maybe 500 -400 ).
See you at the ETS!

Jilles
Attached Thumbnails
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors-p1010342-large-.jpg   "Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors-p1010343-large-.jpg  
JGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #165
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammaramira View Post
Hello Jilles,

Can you explain on driving technique.
How to get into corners. When and where to brake & throttle. and how to get faster cornering speed.

Thanks.
Alamakk... Kawan dah cakap orang putih dah...
Azman Azam is offline   Reply With Quote