"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Congrats on your ETS result.I would like to ask u what is the Biggest Spur Gear we can install on the 417? Pls give some tips on building the New Gear Diff n what oil to use for Front & Back. Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Really nice driving at ETS Jilles.

I saw the split blocks on Marc car, could you explain the benefit and why they used it specially at ETS?

Did you guys runned with cutted motor mount?

You might also come to Andernach?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Will there be an inboard front shocks design TRF41X kit coming soon?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Cheers Jilles,

How do you mount your bodies? Specifically in terms of position of the body and wing on the chassis?

~Dane
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM
rai
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Congratulation

Congratulation Jilles on the recent ETS result...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Jilles,

Did you remove the 0.5 mm spacer under 1c block when you use the 1c plit bloc with it ?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone know what Ride body Jilles used at the ETS?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LTCR? from protoform..
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gear Diff Unit II

Originally Posted by JGH
Hello guys,

Just came back from ETS race. All Tamiya's were really competitive and I was really happy with my car and the performance of the Orion power.
Little bit dissapointed about the result as I had shimmed my geardiff wrong which cost me the victory in final 3.
Will post my set-up including my motor/speedo set-up soon.

Jilles
Tough luck for the ETS. You were obviously the fastest entire weekend.

I'll be getting the new gear diff from Tamiya soon. What are the things to look out for when building it?

Thank you.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Attached my set-up of the ETS race in The Netherlands.

Jilles
Attached Thumbnails "Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors-ets-rd.5.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gav-
Hey Jilles, not sure if you have much info on what the new Orion Vortex R10 would be like in a boosted 17.5 class.. The motors are rumored to be awesome... just wondering if you know of any testing concerning the ESC, and the outcome?
I have been testing the new Orion R10 speedo for the last couple of months now, and I ran it at the ETS race as well. In Thailand I have been testing with 11.5T a lot and the speedo works awesome with it.

Originally Posted by CraigM
Jilles going fast at ETS, wonder if he's running the orion speedo?
Yep!

Originally Posted by jontang001
Dear Master Jilles
1. Can you share your FF03 setting for both asphalt and carpet?
Due to Tamiya Asia cup is coming...
2. For a very low speed race (17.5~21.5R or Tamiya black can motor), would you prefer front one way or spool?

THANKS for your answer in advance!!!
1. I don't have my FF03 here in Europe now, will come back with a set-up later.
2. Depends on the track, if not much hairpins a one-way can be faster.

Originally Posted by CraigM
Awesome thanks! He certainly looks to have good power with a fraction more top end than the speedpassion, no body off shots of his car in the ETS coverage tho

Jilles could you share with us what motor turn and FDR you were running?
At the ETS race I ran the Orion R10 speedo with boost, my motor was 4.0T and final gearing was 7.7

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Actually could you add to this... How do the new Orion mods compare to the previous generation? Are they still very much the same internals apart from optimisation for the new can?
The New motor runs smoother, more power and stays cooler.

Originally Posted by barts71m
Bad luck Jilles. Looks like you had the package to beat over the weekend. Be grrateful to see your setup when you have time to post it. All the TRF guys seemed to have great pace. By the looks of Marcs car split blocks are the go now.

What are the benefits of removing the carbon brace from the steering on the 417.
All 417's were really good and sure the team to beat! Marc ran split blocks as he ran this at the Reedy Race as well, I ran normal one piece susp. blocks as I thought on highspeed tracks it might have little more cornerspeed. Both worked great! Removing the brace gives more flex, little more agressive.

Originally Posted by teamsanwa
hi jilles~
what esc you ran in rd5 ETS race?
thx~
Orion R10

Originally Posted by CHICO1977
Congrats on your ETS result.I would like to ask u what is the Biggest Spur Gear we can install on the 417? Pls give some tips on building the New Gear Diff n what oil to use for Front & Back. Thanks
I think you can go up till 115T spurgear, most of the time I use 111T. I already posted on the 417 thread about "how to build the geardiff". WIll post it later on my thread. At ETS I ran spool front and 1000W oil in the rear. I tested geardiff in front with cleaning gum which also works great!

Originally Posted by GerwinGood
Really nice driving at ETS Jilles.

I saw the split blocks on Marc car, could you explain the benefit and why they used it specially at ETS?

Did you guys runned with cutted motor mount?

You might also come to Andernach?

Thanks!
Thanks! Marc ran the split blocks as he used this at the Reedy Race with great success. I didn't tested it but I think with the split blocks you have more flex so maybe little more traction.
We all ran cutted motor mount, I can advise this to everyone.
I will attend Andernach!

Originally Posted by Dane
Cheers Jilles,

How do you mount your bodies? Specifically in terms of position of the body and wing on the chassis?

~Dane
Normally I mount my bodies 5mm more forward then standard position, looked from the front wheels. The wing is mounted 10mm further back then the bumper which is in the rules.

Originally Posted by rai
Congratulation Jilles on the recent ETS result...
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Manson
Jilles,

Did you remove the 0.5 mm spacer under 1c block when you use the 1c plit bloc with it ?

Thanks
Split blocks has the same height as a one-piece block.

Originally Posted by TimmyMontoya
Anyone know what Ride body Jilles used at the ETS?
I ran the Protoform LTC-R body, will bring the Ride to Andernach for smaller, technical track!

Originally Posted by CLK@racing
Tough luck for the ETS. You were obviously the fastest entire weekend.

I'll be getting the new gear diff from Tamiya soon. What are the things to look out for when building it?

Thank you.
Thanks, was a good race and sure the third final should have been easy!
I already posted some comment about the geardiff in the 417 thread but will post it soon on my thread!

Jilles
Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Hello everyone,

For those who will get the Tamiya geardiff soon, here some tips how to build it.
At the ETS we were not informed how to shim the geardiffs as we just got them for the race. After the race I have checked all diffs and tried to find the best solution.

First use sandpaper ( 500 ) for all gears and sand them down till it touch the whole surface. Then use 3 x 0.1 shim each side.
When close the diff, don't tight the screws too much.
At first the diff feels little bit tight but just run it in, inside the car, same as a ball diff.

Let me know how things are working out,

Thank you,
Jilles
Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JGH
Hello everyone,

For those who will get the Tamiya geardiff soon, here some tips how to build it.
At the ETS we were not informed how to shim the geardiffs as we just got them for the race. After the race I have checked all diffs and tried to find the best solution.

First use sandpaper ( 500 ) for all gears and sand them down till it touch the whole surface. Then use 3 x 0.1 shim each side.
When close the diff, don't tight the screws too much.
At first the diff feels little bit tight but just run it in, inside the car, same as a ball diff.

Let me know how things are working out,

Thank you,
Jilles
Congrats Jilles on the top form shown at ETS! It's great to see the team on top again!

I'm just about to build the diff over the weekend and ur advice on it comes at the right time. Good luck at Andernach! Have fun...

Thanks.

Last edited by jonest; 06-16-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Check his setup sheet from ETS...I believe he used 1000WT oil.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by jonest
Congrats Jilles on the top form shown at ETS! It's great to see the team on top again!

I'm just about to build the diff over the weekend. Were u using the oil (900) supplied in the package?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Check his setup sheet from ETS...I believe he used 1000WT oil.

regards Roy
Yup. Just downloaded the setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.