Community
Wiki Posts
Search

should i get a tl01?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default should i get a tl01?

hi there......im kind of new to this hobby (although i had a car before)and was wondering......should i get a tl01. u see my local tracks has 2 sedan classes. the fist is the sport and u can only use a tl01 or ta01 (has to use stock tamiya motor) the other class is the pro and any car is allowed. i want to know which one i should get a car for. i was thinking the sport but i have heard some pretty bad things about the tl01, but it is in my price raqnge and does not require that much driving skills. any help on this would be apreciated.

thanx in advance
Old 10-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Since there's a racing class at your club that's TL01 only, I'd say it's a good choice for a first car.

The TL01 will never compete on a track with a "pro" level car, but if you're racing in a "control" class, it can be made to run very well.

The good thing about the TL01 is that it's pretty idiot proof to build, and sturdy when the inevitable crashes happen.

It's also good value.

Sensible upgrades would be ballraces, oil-filled shocks, adjustable steering arms, and an Electronic speed controller, instead of the standard mechanical one.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:46 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by sosidge

Sensible upgrades would be ballraces, oil-filled shocks, adjustable steering arms, and an Electronic speed controller, instead of the standard mechanical one.
I think he meant Ball Bearings. Also the racing gears would be a good upgrade. There's a new TL01-LA that just came out, I would go with that one. The new kit comes with new carriers up front and longer A arms.

Tamiya runs this in there TCS series and it's a very popular class.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:50 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the quick responses. one more thing, ive heard these cars have some handeling problems, is this true? what upgrade is needed to improve the handeling and approximately how much is it?

thanx
Old 10-31-2002, 01:50 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depends on how much of a "control" class the TL01 class is. I've seen a TL01 do VERY well against open class sedans. The chassis is very light and the drivetrain is pretty efficient. I've been toying with the idea of building a TL01 with the new long-arm suspension kit. Ball diffs, one way, good shocks and you should have a reasonably competitive car. I've seen one win the A-main against very good drivers with TC3, MR4 etc (granted the driver was a ROAR regional champ).
Old 10-31-2002, 01:55 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by ruf
Depends on how much of a "control" class the TL01 class is. I've seen a TL01 do VERY well against open class sedans. The chassis is very light and the drivetrain is pretty efficient. I've been toying with the idea of building a TL01 with the new long-arm suspension kit. Ball diffs, one way, good shocks and you should have a reasonably competitive car. I've seen one win the A-main against very good drivers with TC3, MR4 etc (granted the driver was a ROAR regional champ).
ruf brings up a great point, it's not the car but the driver that wins races.

The problem with the control I believe was fixed with the new longer A Arms.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:01 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And that was with the stock short arms! No one here's tried the long arm suspension so I have no idea how well it does or doesn't work.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:10 PM
Regional Moderator

I plan on getting one next year to race at TCS. I hear they will allow the TL01-LA in next season.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

there is a conversion kit for the tl01 to change the a-arms 2 longer 1s...
anyway,it is a tough car and can definitely take lots of punishment.and you can play rally also with it's closed drive train.
from the point of adjustment,tat chassis is pretty limited...
but as u said,there is a closed class for racing tl01,so y not?

yap,get the tl01-la kit...i think it comes with the interga R body shell...
Old 11-03-2002, 01:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default TL01 Gearing Limitations???

Just a quick query on the TL01.
My brother has one into which he has installed a speed tuned gear set. He has encountered a problem where the motor mount only allows for the use of 3 different size pinions.
Is this for real??? Are there no other options or is the car really limited to only 3 gearing selections. The problem is that with his modified 13 turn motor installed he can't gear it low enough.
Does anyone know what options are available for him if any.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:50 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Why doesn't he put the original gear set back it!!??
Old 11-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am not sure that will fix the problem. It seems strange to me though that the car is only limited to 3 Pinion sizes. This puts a lot of restrictions on the car for motor choice does it not??? I don't personally know much about the car but i do intend to try and work it out for him as he is keen to get his 13 turn motor in without burning it up.

Last edited by Steevo; 11-03-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

With a bit of drilling and fileing on the motor mount you should be able to use almost any pinion size. The current system is used so that people new to the hobby can easily mesh the pinion and spur.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default TL01 and Hop-ups

I agree completely with Sosidge about the Tamiya TL01. We have one that my 7 yr old son learned on and it has taken ALOT of abuse with very little breakage.
As for hop-ups; Get the speed-tuned gearset and install when you build the car, get the toe-in rear hubs and some adjustable turn buckles for the camber and steering links. You may want to get a better/stronger servo-saver, but many people still use the kit one. Use a motor with alot of torque and a heatsink on it. The car is heavy and the Spd tuned gears are tall.
All that and if your class allows get some oil dampened shocks. Everything but the shocks is very inexpensive.
The Long arm set will improve the handling by relocating the pivot point of the hub carriers, but is NOT supposed to make the car wider. Look on some off the other message boards for more info on the long arm conversion. It is also expensive ($40+)

Most of all, HAVE FUN.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-04-2002 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default tlo1

there a lot of better handling first timer rc's out there.i tried using the tlo1 and its not that good. all thats good about tlo1's are their good detailed car body. this is only my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.