R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I don't "bash," but I am not a racer yet. I am more of a practicer :-) But I practice to race.

Quote:
Just as a reminder though, competition 1/10 EP touring class does not allow the bodyshell be cut excessively (eg: cutting windshields and all)... Its against the rules set by IFMAR...

However for bashing purposes, you may go ahead and experiment...
The important word there is excessively. What is excessive? I want to cut a whole in my windshield similar to the nitro guys. Maybe add a duct to get the air flowing right at the motor/esc. Is that excessive?

--pakk
Old 04-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Might be different in the US (but im guessing not) but in the UK (BRCA) and Europe (EFRA) the only holes you are allowed in the bodyshell are for your ariel, body mounts and transponder. And no I dont think a 50mm diameter hole for the ariel would be allowed!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
Tech Elite

well I guess it is time to start shopping for a nice cooling system.

--pakk
Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I don't "bash," but I am not a racer yet. I am more of a practicer :-) But I practice to race.

The important word there is excessively. What is excessive? I want to cut a whole in my windshield similar to the nitro guys. Maybe add a duct to get the air flowing right at the motor/esc. Is that excessive?

--pakk
Excessive meaning cutting more than what you should....

Like what Ian_S said, for 1/10 touring EP, there are limits where on how much you're suppose to cut your bodyshell...

GP is different as they require holes for refuelling, glow-plug igniter and of coz cooling for the cylinder head cooling fins...

Two categories and both comes with separate sets or rules... dont take em the same....
Tpg racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
Tech Elite

LRP vs R1wurks

After you add fans to the R1wurks, the cost is the same. Anyone happen to try both and compare?

--pakk
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #21
Tech Champion

I don't use a fan with a 13.5, I like how the 415msxx has a cooling ramp on it, i'm sure it helps...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 AM   #22
Tech Adept

I have heard only good things about the LRP heatsink with fan, that would be the one I would go for.

If you want some information about cutting holes in the shell and placing ducts to help cooling you can look here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tricks-50.html

It is probably exactly what you were after.

However as stated before, it is not legal to cut any holes in the shell. I was thinking of making a small duct, which the speedo would sit on, so that air would be channeled up from under the chassis in front of the motor, into the motor. I have seen it on a Tamiya 416 at some point but cannot find a picture of it, maybe its commercially available, can anyone shed any light on it? As far as I can tell it is legal also.

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey mate,
i cut a small hole in my windshield for direct air flow. instead of a esc cooling fan, i made a custom air intake duct from thin cardboard, which slots onto my esc heat sink. at speed, i get plenty of air flowing through the windshield and through the air duct. keeps the esc pretty cool. and i have a small hole in the back of the air duct for heated air to escape.

i have the motor heat sink+fan as well, and ive rotated the fan to suck air in. dont think it makes much of a difference for short runs, but over long speed runs it does help.

and i'd rather risk a bit of aero(cant be much) for more cooling.

Quote:
I think this is really key. Good airflow would do better than a good fan, if not better. Good air flow and a fan wood be ideal if needed.

So my next question,

Has anyone tried opening up their windshield on their body to increase airflow? Maybe even add some sort of duct to get the air flowing right at the esc/motor. As I look at my body, I can see how air can easily escape, but not enter.

Would a whole in the windshield mess with aerodynamics too much? I can't believe it would, the nitro guys do it.

--pakk
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
LRP vs R1wurks

After you add fans to the R1wurks, the cost is the same. Anyone happen to try both and compare?

--pakk
The LRP, X10. SEe the size of the heatsink and the size of the fan? When I run the LRP, I see -20 degrees at the end of my runs.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
The LRP, X10. SEe the size of the heatsink and the size of the fan? When I run the LRP, I see -20 degrees at the end of my runs.
I'd have to say thats pretty darn close.

In my attempt to save weight I ditched the heat sink and kept the fan. I'm about 8g lighter and still get the very close to the same cooling effect.
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Well for one thing, fans allow you to increase timing/gearing on the motor so it doesnt burn up the speedo. Also, fans allow you to run more aggresive profiles/maps in your speed controller. And a fan doesnt suck up that much current from the battery. And even if it did, isnt the gearing you can run worth that tiny bit?
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by #88driver View Post
Well for one thing, fans allow you to increase timing/gearing on the motor so it doesnt burn up the speedo. Also, fans allow you to run more aggresive profiles/maps in your speed controller. And a fan doesnt suck up that much current from the battery. And even if it did, isnt the gearing you can run worth that tiny bit?
I thought like that, but when you think about it closely, your only cooling the outside of the motor can, the rotor inside is still going to be reaching far higher temps.

I use the LRP heatsink which drops the can by about 15degC but I still like to be carefull and just keep the temp around 55degC on the the can.

At the end of the day we can all do what we like, just be carefull of over doing it and having an expensive race.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I thought like that, but when you think about it closely, your only cooling the outside of the motor can, the rotor inside is still going to be reaching far higher temps.
That's no excuse not to have any kind of airflow on the can. The cooler the can, the cooler the internals.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #29
Tech Addict

I think you should have a look at some of the pro's cars running in the ETS and see what they are doing. They are the experts.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
I think you should have a look at some of the pro's cars running in the ETS and see what they are doing. They are the experts.

Mike
Yes and no...

If they have to over heat a motor and junk one every round they have that luxury and sponsor backing to do so.

And with all of the stories of top pro's "dumping" they are pushing it to the limit.
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote