R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #481
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
what if the "new triple crown" was.... (not sure if im accurate on the dates)

IIC (Sept)
Cleveland (Oct/Nov)
Indoor Champs (Nov)
Reedy Race (May)
Snowbirds (Jan)
ROAR Paved Nats (flexible)

good mix of carpet and asphalt.

just a thought.
A great idea, but it will NEVER happen. One of the things that made the original Triple Crown so awesome was the inherent consistency the series had. Only TWO classes contended in Cleveland, to Grand Rapids, then on to Detroit. All three races were centrally located within the country, mostly because that was close to the bulk of the racers in the TWO classes that were run at these events. It was brilliantly organized and executed by people who had a passion for the series and the hobby/sport. I just don't think we have people with that kinda love and genuine excitement around anymore.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
A great idea, but it will NEVER happen. One of the things that made the original Triple Crown so awesome was the inherent consistency the series had. Only TWO classes contended in Cleveland, to Grand Rapids, then on to Detroit. All three races were centrally located within the country, mostly because that was close to the bulk of the racers in the TWO classes that were run at these events. It was brilliantly organized and executed by people who had a passion for the series and the hobby/sport. I just don't think we have people with that kinda love and genuine excitement around anymore.
and there are so many different classes now that it's just hard to imagine that there will be any super big or super prestegious races. I just don't see this happening so long as there are so many classes available to water down the competition in all of them.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #483
Tech Adept

I believe it can happen.

1/12 scale 17.5 control tire

1/12 scale mod

17.5 rubber

mod rubber.

Mike, Scotty, and Mr. Bill do have the passion. If they worked togather you would be surprised what they could do. One phone call can get things started for next year. Cmon guys you can do it!
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #484
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Scotty is the man for sure....look at vegas and the ETS series that he put together with Marc's dad........we should look more closely to how the European series is put together....seems to work for them.....only 2 touring classes but maybe you could add 12th scale 17.5 and mod or World GT 13.5
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #485
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandman View Post
Scotty is the man for sure....look at vegas and the ETS series that he put together with Marc's dad........we should look more closely to how the European series is put together....seems to work for them.....only 2 touring classes but maybe you could add 12th scale 17.5 and mod or World GT 13.5
I see very little point in looking at Touring anything to save carpet racing here in the US. 12th scale continues to grow in popularity, as TC slowly dies off. I feel a series like the NEGS is the future. Limited # of classes, breakout rules to keep lifers out of the 17.5 classes, etc.

I would hope the existing promoters would work together to bring a series about, but they each have their own investment in their own races, and their own political agendas within the hobby/industry.

Start fresh, and let's get it going.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #486
Tech Master

Here's a few things to think about when considering bringing something along the lines of the Triple Crown back.......

(1) The Champs was/is a majority 12th scale race.

(2) The IIC is majority a TC race.

(3) The Snowbirds is on-road & oval combination with the on-road running in the opposite direction. (I don't know what the split percentage is between the two)

(4) Would the Nat's be a better choice for one of the races?

(5) Personally, I think the classic isn't a choice since it's in the same area and is so close to the dates the Champs run.

(6) Classes chosen would have to fit into the Criteria of what would be in the "Crowns" best interest as well as the venues holding the races.

Don't misunderstand me, as I'm a big proponent of bringing a series race back into the mix since my beliefs are it's needed to bolster our declining population in RC racing at major events overall.

And yes, there's plenty of people who's hearts are in the right place!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #487
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good Stuff!!!

Last edited by knapster; 12-05-2009 at 09:43 PM.
knapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #488
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Warner View Post
Here's a few things to think about when considering bringing something along the lines of the Triple Crown back.......

(1) The Champs was/is a majority 12th scale race.

(2) The IIC is majority a TC race.

(3) The Snowbirds is on-road & oval combination with the on-road running in the opposite direction. (I don't know what the split percentage is between the two)

(4) Would the Nat's be a better choice for one of the races?

(5) Personally, I think the classic isn't a choice since it's in the same area and is so close to the dates the Champs run.

(6) Classes chosen would have to fit into the Criteria of what would be in the "Crowns" best interest as well as the venues holding the races.

Don't misunderstand me, as I'm a big proponent of bringing a series race back into the mix since my beliefs are it's needed to bolster our declining population in RC racing at major events overall.

And yes, there's plenty of people who's hearts are in the right place!

All 4 above 1 throw out...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #489
Tech Master

Bring back the bar cars and 4 cells,that puts parity back in racing who wants to see all of the same car
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #490
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local racer View Post
Bring back the bar cars and 4 cells,that puts parity back in racing who wants to see all of the same car
why the f do we wanna go backwards in technology?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #491
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Single cell Lipo has slowed them all down. 3.7 volts just doesn't pull the same as 4.8
I don't think so myself. I think with all the new tech. and the lighter weight we are faster in all the 1/12th classes. The motors and speedos have gotten so good!
Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #492
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhenderson View Post
I don't think so myself. I think with all the new tech. and the lighter weight we are faster in all the 1/12th classes. The motors and speedos have gotten so good!
I agree with Walter. I think in 1/12 we are a little faster.

Please no spec for 1/12 stock. Sure we all probably run the same compounds depending on what mfg we like, but I like the option to change tires to help the car respond differently.

If you don't like buying a new speedo, motor or whatever when they come out, go run VTA with their $600 cars and new rubber tires every week.

Just my 25yr R/C Racing experience...

Steve Dunn
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #493
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post
I agree with Walter. I think in 1/12 we are a little faster.

Please no spec for 1/12 stock. Sure we all probably run the same compounds depending on what mfg we like, but I like the option to change tires to help the car respond differently.

If you don't like buying a new speedo, motor or whatever when they come out, go run VTA with their $600 cars and new rubber tires every week.

Just my 25yr R/C Racing experience...

Steve Dunn
100% agreed.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #494
Tech Initiate

I agree with the last few posts as well. At our track, at the end of last indoor season we were running about 54 laps on the layout we had with 4 cell. At the beginning of this indoor season on the same layout with LiPo we were running about 56 laps (without the Advanced speedo). The cars have less acceleration but are much faster through the corner. Add what Walt said with the motors and speedo's (and the huge improvement in LiPo batteries in just a few months) and I think top speed is about the same now if not faster.

Also I have a question about LiPo for everyone. I have heard several people say they think the cars (1/12) are easier to drive now thanks to LiPo. My opinion is that the cars are more responsive, and they carry more speed through the infield making them a little harder to drive. Most people can handle horsepower on the straightaway, but a faster twitchier car in the infield in my opinion is harder to drive. One reason I mention this is I noticed a lot of crashing at Cleveland this year (including a lot out of myself) and heard a couple others comment on it as well. What do you guys think?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #495
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfirsching View Post
I agree with the last few posts as well. At our track, at the end of last indoor season we were running about 54 laps on the layout we had with 4 cell. At the beginning of this indoor season on the same layout with LiPo we were running about 56 laps (without the Advanced speedo). The cars have less acceleration but are much faster through the corner. Add what Walt said with the motors and speedo's (and the huge improvement in LiPo batteries in just a few months) and I think top speed is about the same now if not faster.

Also I have a question about LiPo for everyone. I have heard several people say they think the cars (1/12) are easier to drive now thanks to LiPo. My opinion is that the cars are more responsive, and they carry more speed through the infield making them a little harder to drive. Most people can handle horsepower on the straightaway, but a faster twitchier car in the infield in my opinion is harder to drive. One reason I mention this is I noticed a lot of crashing at Cleveland this year (including a lot out of myself) and heard a couple others comment on it as well. What do you guys think?
I agree 100%. I think some of the crashing is due to the lighter weight cars! If you touch anything you get thrown a long way.
Team CRC
Team FF RC Concepts
rc-speed is offline   Reply With Quote