R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #436
Tech Master

Not sure about foam but the rubber classes were pretty mixed with TC's. Paul won Mod with Xray (2 Xrays in the main, 2 AE, 1 TOP, 1 Tamiya). 13.5 Rubber was won by a Corally of Brad Johnson (using the Advanced Speedo), followed by a Tamiya, a Yokomo and an Xray... Again pretty good mix....

The speedo thing is crazy. I ran all weekend with my KO stuff which has been great and was very good at the 2009 ROAR Carpet Nats where Blackstock (LRP) and I (KO) crushed the field in WGT. Fast forward to Cleveland and I found myself qualifying in 8th place, .3-.4 per lap off the pace over a lap behind in qualifying.... I borrowed a Advanced speedo for the main and bounced off every wall for the first 1:30 as it was rediculos (not to mention my car was not set-up to run at that speed). After that, I worked my way up to 4th and held my ground to the leaders. I can say that no amount of car, car set-up and driver can over come the difference that it brings to the table. There was some testing of a new LRP at the race but from what I saw it didn't deliver and in the end all the "spec" classes were won by an Advanced....

I think the craziest part is the availability thing - A lot of racers were taking the speedo in/out of multiple cars and sharing with other racers...lol..

Overall, the Champs track was by far one of the best tracks we've had in a very long time. Reasonably smooth, nice layout that was fun to drive and great traction. Tech was a little interesting at times as normal but really I prefer the Champs Tech to the lack of Tech at the Snowbirds (see Brian Wynn's WGT car from there this year...lol..). Overall, it was a great race and I think everyone can agree.

To me, Masters is sort of rediculos... You guys realize that a few more years that Blackstock and even myself can and will be in there?? Yep, 4 more Champs and if there is still Masters I will be more than happy to run.

Masters should disapear. There should be a Top 3 award for 40+ racers and a Top 3 award for -18. Let's face it, we are all getting older and the younger racers are what we need to grow/build the hobby. We have a special class for older guys to show they have game.... Why not support the youth and future of our sport?? Trust me, it means a lot to someone when they are young - I still have my "Youngster IFMAR Wold Champion" trophy from the Worlds in Sonnenburg Germany as I was only 16 at the time and still it sits on my shelf (one of the few I actually keep).

The other thing I am sure people don't want to consider or think about and this will raise an eyebrow or two..... Make it a money race.... Look at all the off-road races that are now cash pay out and the attendance. Money always brings a crowd and while the on-road side hasn't welcomed this concept the off-road world sure has. Go to the Team Orion site, you can see Cav. holding at least 5-10 different checks from races...lol.... Don't limit it to the Pro Classes but give a few $$ from each entry to a pot that's divided into the Top 3 in each class. The on-track racing won't change but the interest level and possibly attendance may change for the better.

Ok, Masters guys can throw stuff at their screens now and people opposed to money races can flame me.... I'm going back to work....

Later all!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #437

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Josh-
I like your idea of the awarding a 40+ or 18- category. I TQ'ed and won Stock Foam TC at Cleveland a long time ago, and those 2 trophies are the ones I keep on my work station. It was a huge accomplishment for myself and my dad who worked feverishly with me for months before the race. I like that idea wholly for awarding younger racers or the older ones who are seasoned!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #438
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
Can anyone at least report if any particualr chassis dominated the touring car classes?

The magazines coverage of On-Road events has really gone down hill over the last several years.
Not sure if it is a real class or not (depends who you ask ) but VTA TQ and 1st & 3rd was a Losi JRXS Type R.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #439
Tech Adept

Overall, the Champs track was by far one of the best tracks we've had in a very long time. Reasonably smooth, nice layout that was fun to drive and great traction. Tech was a little interesting at times as normal but really I prefer the Champs Tech to the lack of Tech at the Snowbirds (see Brian Wynn's WGT car from there this year...lol..). Overall, it was a great race and I think everyone can agree

for those of us that were not at the birds what was wrong with Brians car?
microcrazy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #440
Tech Elite

josh - i take offense to your comment that no amount of driving or skill can overcome the advantage of the advances speedo. you out qualified me even when you did not have one. i guess that just goes to show that i really do suck.

had fun anyways. see you guys at the birds. mybe by then i can polish up my driving skills and at least be a factor.

speaking on behalf of crc (which i probably should not do), they are doing their best to get the speedos in and available. the first batch that came in was a little shorter than expected, and i know for a fact that there were many team drivers shorted in order to get the speedo to those who had ordered it for this race. i hope people understand that they can do nothing about the manufacturing and shipping logistics that come into play when dealing with companies over seas. as they do become more available, which will be in the near future, I hope that the current trend of banning the speedo will fall by the way side.

just my .02
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #441
Tech Master

I made a new friend at the Indoor Champs, and his name is Mario Ficco.

I even have his phone number.

Anyone else who wants it can PM me.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #442
Tech Elite

awwwww, im your friend, how sweet is...........hold on, my phone is ringing, gotta go.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #443
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
.......... To me, Masters is sort of rediculos... You guys realize that a few more years that Blackstock and even myself can and will be in there?? Yep, 4 more Champs and if there is still Masters I will be more than happy to run. ........
Eli and I just had a conference call to discuss the possibility of Blackstock and Cyrul running 1:12th Masters. After a lengthy discussion, a resounding "Bring it bitch" was the final consensus.

Last edited by Team CRC; 12-02-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Had to add smiley face to denote a joking post!
Team CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #444
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

YEA.......what he said! Let's not forget Baker, Toso, Lia, Dumas, Doseck......yada-yada-yada
BRING-IT
Old 12-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #445
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If masters stays it should be something other than 17.5. Thin the classes 12th stock and mod then masters could be either 13.5 or 10.5

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #446
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think that making it a faster class would definately thin the Master's class..........After all Master's means many things to many racers. Age-Experience-Ability-Courtesy, maybe not in that order.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #447
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to G Ace Send a message via Yahoo to G Ace

12th Scale Stock A-Main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92FQLSO20w
G Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #448
Tech Addict

hey now. I could have raced it this year :-).. But i felt there was too much competition in there for me to run it. So i decided to not try it this year. Maybe next year when Frank and Ei are a year older i might have a chance.

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #449
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock View Post
hey now. I could have raced it this year :-).. But i felt there was too much competition in there for me to run it. So i decided to not try it this year. Maybe next year when Frank and Ei are a year older i might have a chance.

Mike
Damn Mike,

You that old already? !!!! Thanks for giving us another year to age gracefully.
Team CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #450
Tech Addict

BTW. Here is my idea for onroad racing in general.

Limit the classes to spec 17.5 and mod and one amateur class(no sponsors or stickers) for beginners with a 21.5 motor.

Get IIC, Snowbirds and Cleveland promoters to talk to one another and make it a series like the old days. Have them all promote each others race and finally have all the same classes. Make the races mean something like they did in the past. Could you imagine if all three were to support one another 100% . I bet it would not be hard to make all of these races full again . They could pitch to sponsors all three events and then a points championship at the end. The sponsors could get more bang for there buck by sponsoring all three events. also would be cool to see each of them at each others races promoting and making are hobby and sport more exciting. Now how can we make this happen ? Scotty, Boylan and MR Bill are you listening

Just my opinion.

Mike