R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #361
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
That explains only 10% of the drop in attendance (since 5% unemployment is considered basically 0). I'm guessing unemployment is a relatively small reason why there is a drop. Unless unemployment is disproportionately effecting RC racers.
Sometimes you guys need to think a little more. Let's say you work at a small company and 25% of the office get's laid off. But you still get to keep your job. Are you not going to be concerned? Are you going to spend your extra money the same way that you once did? I think everyone whether they have a job or not, are aware of all their friends who have lost their jobs.

I think the biggest issue facing these big races is that there is probably too many of them and they all hold similar prestige. Snowbirds still does well because its a combo road/oval race but it lost some entries. Vegas does well because vegas is vegas and Scotty's involved. But what about the other races. The Novak race has lost some of its luster, seems like its more of a regional big race now. I have lived through this on road up and then down cycle of popularity a couple of times now. It will be back. Off road is king now but it won't always be.

Can we talk about the race now.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #362
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
I guess this event is not that important as LiveRC has better coverage (or atleast the audio/video is working) for the 1/8 off road race and several local races.

Kinda sad that there is not good coverage for those who did not go and was interested.
i over heard some stuff like the wifi wasn't working or something like that. that's why there's no coverage.
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #363
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Sometimes you guys need to think a little more. Let's say you work at a small company and 25% of the office get's laid off. But you still get to keep your job. Are you not going to be concerned? Are you going to spend your extra money the same way that you once did? I think everyone whether they have a job or not, are aware of all their friends who have lost their jobs.

Steve
Happened at my work. I'm still RC racing. Honestly the only reason I don't run in this race is because it is over Thanksgiving and it's my favorite holiday. Have it over Christmas and I'm there.

Also if a race had 500 entries I wouldn't be there. No way I'm waiting half a day between races.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Happened at my work. I'm still RC racing. Honestly the only reason I don't run in this race is because it is over Thanksgiving and it's my favorite holiday. Have it over Christmas and I'm there.

Also if a race had 500 entries I wouldn't be there. No way I'm waiting half a day between races.
All good reason's and I didn't mean to pick on your post but like it or not for most of us racers, the racing budget comes out of our disposable income. I know 13 years ago I went to a California race, (the IFMAR Worlds) and I tried to save as much money as I could. I still spent almost a grand. That was when the economy was pretty decent too. Nowadays, I think its harder to justify spending that much and if you do spend it, a racer might look closer as to which race to spend it on. I know Vegas would be cheaper for me to attend then Cleveland. Having said that, this is like the 25th Cleveland Indoor Champs. It's always been held this weekend. Tons of History, this is the race that created the"Magic Man". I bet my club here in Seattle sends some racers to this race next year, I hope to be one of them.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #365
Tech Addict

George Jiruska I found that thing you were looking for PM me with your address and I will send it to you Mr.Bill
www.teamcrc.com www.spektrumrc.com
MR.BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #366
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
imjonah
It would be really helpful if sometime/somewhere on this thread someone would list what the various top drivers are racing; in particular the Chassis,ESC,Motor,Battery. For me is is interesting that driver so and so won a particular race but I am far more interested equipment they winners were using.t

Even at this fairly early point there must be some good information about which chassis seems to be dominant and which ESC motor combo and which batterys are being used by the top qualifiers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can keep us updated with this information or at least provide a run down for the top finishers after the event.
+2
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #367
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thScaleCrazy View Post
The largest reason for the down turn at the Champs is the fact that the race and its' promoters haven't grown with the hobby. Unfortunately, it's been in a downward spiral for several years. Most racers have had enough of "It will be better next year".

* You can go to the Snowbirds or Vegas for the same or even LESS money.
* Race with tons of competition, all the Mfg's and International racers.
* Much nicer Hotels with lots of stuff to do and places to eat.
* Walk "The Strip" @ IIC, Go to Disney @ the Birds, dine at Denny’s @ the Champs.
* All the magazines attend, so you might even see your name in print
* Manufacturers tend to show off new stuff at these races
* The race directors keep the show on schedule and FUN

It's unfortunate that the promoters didn't take some profit and put it back into the race over the years.

Just look at what a great job Chicky and the Gate Crew have done with the Halloween Race. Better run race, better competition, nicer hotel, just a couple of days away from school, and again....more FUN.

Obviously the economy isn't helping the situation, but the fact is, if Ernst or Boylan or even the Gate Crew were running the Champs for the past several years, the parking lot would be full right now.
It is just obvious to me that you don't really understand a whole lot of this racing scene. You mentioned going to the Snowbirds or Vegas for less money? I am sure that there entry fees were a lot higher than the $65.00 that it has been for the past 4 years. The Magazines have ONLY been at races where they are located. They have felt the economy crunch as well. How many names do you see in their magazines as reporters????

And then the best statement you made "Just look at what a great job Chicky and the Gate Crew have done with the Halloween Race. Better run race, better competition, nicer hotel, just a couple of days away from school, and again....more FUN. Did you attend that race? The entire track was a washboard!!!!!! We asked for suggestions to keep this race the Premier event that is was intended to be. Did you have any suggestions??? If you aren't part of the solution, you are just a problem yourself
rc_jeff09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #368
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
does anyone else think they might get forced into buying one (or more) of these $350+ speedos? a tekin was one thing.. but now you can almost have three tekins for the price of one of the touring car speedos. maybe modified classes will have a come back because of the black diamond
No one is forced to buy anything, and they were just the first of many to release new speed controllers
rc_jeff09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #369
Tech Adept

"It is just obvious to me that you don't really understand a whole lot of this racing scene."

Yes I do.

"You mentioned going to the Snowbirds or Vegas for less money?"

Yup. A lot of us have to fly to events. Since Orlando and Vegas are both tourist destinations, plane tickets tend to be much cheaper. For me, a ticket to Cleveland has run $300-$350 over the years. I can go to Orlando for $150-$175 year round, or Vegas for $200-$250. On top of that, my hotel for Vegas this year was $29.95 a night. Orlando is $79. Both are much nicer hotels with a million things to do in and around the hotel.

"I am sure that there entry fees were a lot higher than the $65.00 that it has been for the past 4 years."

Yes, they are higher. But you pay for what you get. Better event, better track, better facility, more freebies.....I could go on and on.

"The Magazines have ONLY been at races where they are located."

Not true....most of the magazines attend both Vegas and the Birds. Additionally, they're both covered in European and Oriental magazines.

[B]"And then the best statement you made%

Last edited by 12thScaleCrazy; 11-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.
12thScaleCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #370
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

results?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #371
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
It would be really helpful if sometime/somewhere on this thread someone would list what the various top drivers are racing; in particular the Chassis,ESC,Motor,Battery. For me is is interesting that driver so and so won a particular race but I am far more interested equipment they winners were using.t

Even at this fairly early point there must be some good information about which chassis seems to be dominant and which ESC motor combo and which batterys are being used by the top qualifiers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can keep us updated with this information or at least provide a run down for the top finishers after the event.

From what I saw, almost everyone that TQ'ed, or took the win in the main, was running the Advanced Esc. Other than, motors seemed like the usual Dou, Dou 2, and some Novak Ballistic. But honestly, if you had the Advanced Esc, it didn't really matter what motor you had, you were gonna be quick.

l MOMO USA l OZ Racing l Willwood Brakes | Dunlop Tires |

The Raceway at Beaver: Forever In Blue Jeans
Mark506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark506 View Post
From what I saw, almost everyone that TQ'ed, or took the win in the main, was running the Advanced Esc. Other than, motors seemed like the usual Dou, Dou 2, and some Novak Ballistic. But honestly, if you had the Advanced Esc, it didn't really matter what motor you had, you were gonna be quick.
Sounds like it is a must have to be competitive. I assume that was the case in the TC classes as well or was the difference biggest in the 1 cell lipo classes?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #373
Tech Apprentice

what is the entry fee paying for? i know you have to pay for the room, but that is sometime covered by how many rooms get reserved. you are not paying for stock motors. the help and workers are mostly volunteer. so what is $65 per class going to get me.

jeff
hyena boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #374
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

so who won 17.5T Foam? the liverc results only had 1 lap on record.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #375
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
so who won 17.5T Foam? the liverc results only had 1 lap on record.
Eli Ezrow
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote