R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Gearing and Temp Monitoring

For the first time I wanted to take the foray into different gearing setups on my Mamba MAx.... I have both 2s and 3s lipos with both the 5700 and 7700 motors... So with many many gearing options available, I have lots of choices.

However I know it is inportant to monitor the temps of the ESc and motor... but i do not know how..or what methods are generally used to do this. is is as simple as just a good temp sensor??

Is there also a good generally used cooling solution...or is it really just keeping the gearing in check.

Suggestions are appreciated
Fergup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I just use a simple temp gun. I run a 17.5, so after 5 minutes of racing I check the motor's temperature with the gun. If it gets anywhere over 170F, I gear down, and anywhere under 165F, gear up. Mods will be running more amps though it, so you'll want to check the temperature of both the ESC and motor after 5 minutes.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

+1 can't beat a good temp gun...I wouldn't wait 5 mins to check it when experimenting with different gearing though. Run a minute or 2 and give it a check, trying to find the "hot spot" on the motor...my SpeedPassion 13.5 gives the highest reading on the end of the can next to the endbell, I've heard the Novaks are in the middle of the can, so you may have to search around with the gun to find it on your Mamba. I'm not familiar with the Mamba ESC's either, but if it has a thermal shutdown feature use it...then if it shuts down, temp the heatsink to give you a ballpark figure of what to stay under. Also 165-170 is approaching the danger zone of most brushless motors if you want it to last any length of time, keep it under 160 to be safe.

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running the Mamba Max system's for 4 years with 2 cell lipo, I have there 4600 and 7700 and I just got there 9000 but haven't run it yet.

Hot motor-cool esc-cool lipo = too small of a pinion.
Cool motor-hot esc-hot lipo = too big of a pinion.
Warm motor-warm esc-warm lipo = just right.

So I gear to get the esc and motor the same temp.

I hope this helps you.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

cool thanks....off to get a temp gun
Fergup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There's no trophy for "closest to 165 degrees without going over in the C main", and if there were, I wouldn't want to be the guy taking it home.

Gear for lap times, not a target temperature. The temp gun will tell you if you're hurting your equipment, it won't tell you if you're fast or not.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
There's no trophy for "closest to 165 degrees without going over in the C main", and if there were, I wouldn't want to be the guy taking it home.

Gear for lap times, not a target temperature. The temp gun will tell you if you're hurting your equipment, it won't tell you if you're fast or not.
+1 Trips...the OP never mentioned that he was actually racing so I neglected to put that in my post.

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I didn't notice that... yeah, gearing for lap times is kinda pointless if not racing...
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post

But if your fastest times end up over heating the motor, do you add cooling or hope the motor makes it through the race? I guess this depends on how readily accesible motors are you too....?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
But if your fastest times end up over heating the motor, do you add cooling or hope the motor makes it through the race? I guess this depends on how readily accesible motors are you too....?
Running 1/12th scale, I haven't seen a situation where I get even near overheating. If geared for the fastest possible lap, I could get it that hot, but I'm gearing for the best lap times over an eight minute run... With 4 cell NIMH packs a 17.5 would usually come off the track at 140-150 for me. Any more geaqr than that and I might go faster early in the run, but then LOT slower in the later half as the battery voltage got pulled down. With a 3.7 LiPO and 13.5, my best runs usually result in a motor temp of 110-130 after eight minutes.