R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
fluxhonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vallejo
Posts: 56
Default Pinion Gear/Spur Gear set-up

I want to run a good quick set up that would be good for this size track:
(i don't have access to post url's yet so here's the file extention for youtube: watch?v=IIhYO1be-ds)

I was thinking about running a 64 pitch 109t spur gear with a 28t pinion gear.
What do you think?

Feel free to PM me
fluxhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

There's alot that goes into decideing that. What class are you running so there might be a minimal gear raito you have to run. + Motor temp you don't want to get much above 150*F if your electric. I run VTA and the minium is a 4.20 so I can't go any "lower" then that. don't forget track conditions and layout. Long streights and not a tight track Higher Pinion (Lower Raito) tight track short streight Smaller Pinion (Higher Raito) more torque then speed.
use this site and it will get you in the right direction. (Gear Chart)
http://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?f...n=home.default
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscnitro View Post
There's alot that goes into decideing that. What class are you running so there might be a minimal gear raito you have to run. + Motor temp you don't want to get much above 150*F if your electric. I run VTA and the minium is a 4.20 so I can't go any "lower" then that. don't forget track conditions and layout. Long streights and not a tight track Higher Pinion (Lower Raito) tight track short streight Smaller Pinion (Higher Raito) more torque then speed.
use this site and it will get you in the right direction. (Gear Chart)
http://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?f...n=home.default

Great website.

What do you suggest for a final drive ratio running a 17.5BL? (TC)
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Tech Addict
 
bigkoitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 608
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Great website.

What do you suggest for a final drive ratio running a 17.5BL? (TC)
From the Novak website they suggest 3.5fdr for the 17.5, also depends on the motor brand. As it varies with different brands, it's a good starting point though. Don't want to run the motor too HOT either, most people suggest around 140degs. but not any higher. hope this helps
__________________
JAWS
TRF-416WE & 416-X / DHW / TEAMRCR.NET
bigkoitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice
 
fluxhonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vallejo
Posts: 56
Default

Thanks Chris!
Since my kit came with a 100T spur gear, I went with a 26T pinion.
So final ratio should be 9.38
Going to be set up with a Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System 13.5

Hope it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscnitro View Post
There's alot that goes into decideing that. What class are you running so there might be a minimal gear raito you have to run. + Motor temp you don't want to get much above 150*F if your electric. I run VTA and the minium is a 4.20 so I can't go any "lower" then that. don't forget track conditions and layout. Long streights and not a tight track Higher Pinion (Lower Raito) tight track short streight Smaller Pinion (Higher Raito) more torque then speed.
use this site and it will get you in the right direction. (Gear Chart)
fluxhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxhonda View Post
I want to run a good quick set up that would be good for this size track:
(i don't have access to post url's yet so here's the file extention for youtube: watch?v=IIhYO1be-ds)

I was thinking about running a 64 pitch 109t spur gear with a 28t pinion gear.
What do you think?

Feel free to PM me
There is a chart for all that, its hosted at babarsays dot com. It will tell you the Final drive ratio, Work Ratio (drives motor heat) and rated speed for any given combination of motor kv, spur and pinion + tire.

You can use this to see what you want and setup that combo. Specially now that you dont need to burn your esc/motor while trying to run 3S + :P

I hope this helped
Le0Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC equipments for Sale ijnek Malaysian R/C Racers 22836 09-09-2009 02:50 PM
Gear Ratio for the World Edition cyclone Mr Goodnight Electric On-Road 7 04-18-2007 08:20 PM
Chargers RC - Yeronga Onroad Havago Racing Australian Racing 2133 02-27-2005 01:09 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:46 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net