R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default What to buy?

Hello,

I am kinda new to this RC car business. And i was wondering what i should buy or consider when purchasing a RC car. I do not want the RC car to be slow, but it doesn't have to be super fast. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thank you
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First decide what class you want to run.

Look at what is popular in your area, it will mean more parts support and set-up help.

Then buy best you can afford, better than buying cheap for 3 months and then buying another kit.

Buy 'super fast' it can always be slowed down, the inverse is not always possible.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also, tools, chargers, batteries, are all important.

Tools - Buy some allen screwdrivers. They're so much better and easier to use than allen keys. They'll save you time and hassle.

If you want to be able to set your car up properly if you're racing. Camber gauge, right height gauge, are the minimum. Toe gauge or a setup station is good too. Setup stations measure everything at one time.

Chargers. Whether you decide to run lipo or cell batteries. Buy a charger that will handle both. Because when you switch to lipo(and you will) you dont want to go spending moeny on another charger. The Onyx 230 is pretty nice for the price.

Batteries. Lipo if you can. Its worth it. No worries about cooling down before charging or running. No discharging. No little crap involved like you do with cell packs. Just charge it and run it. And you can do that all day long. Th eonly thing with lipos is you should get a balancer for your battery to keep the cells inside matched.
RC-DriftNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Not enough information to help.
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Buy 'super fast' it can always be slowed down, the inverse is not always possible.
I agree with your other points, but too many guys start out jumping in and get over their heads because they don't have the skills to drive 'super fast' yet have the newbie obsession with speed. They then break a lot of parts and lose interest as the repair bill increases. IMO better to start off slow and increase as the skills increase.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
I agree with your other points, but too many guys start out jumping in and get over their heads because they don't have the skills to drive 'super fast' yet have the newbie obsession with speed. They then break a lot of parts and lose interest as the repair bill increases. IMO better to start off slow and increase as the skills increase.
I agree, a little self control is required
As long as the 'slow' parts are the inexpensive/ easily replaceable parts and not high dollar items, replacing cars and radio gear can be as discouraging as replacing broken a arms and worn tires.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I think i am now leaning toward the HPI Sprint 2 drift 350Z. If any of you know anything good/bad about this car inform me please. Or if i should look at some other cars.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get a good RTR. get some HPI x-pattern tires. get a desent charger. get some good cells. get a good proline body or protoform. something to bash around the track with.
and somthing that could take a beating.

once you feel your skill is getting better then the car could handle sell everything and buy a race kit and start from there

you'll need a good radio (FM or 2.4ghz)

get a good car that would affer a lot of tunning options. nothing limited in adjustments. and a comapny that will sell parts for a while.

get a good charger. power to your car is impotant most.

get some good cells. you will be good with some good 6cell NiMh stick packs. with proper connecters..

then buy some parts. for replacements. A-arms. C-hubs, spindles, rear uprights. and bearings.

buy a cool crash body for the track.

find people around the track that would help you out in a basic good setup for the track. like gearing and susp'.

get some race slicks.

that's what I did. and I'm happy I'm getting good at track!!!