R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

If you find yourself with "too many" spare parts, shoot me a PM for a shipping address. I'd be more than willing to help you out, I know how short storage space can get.
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
If you find yourself with "too many" spare parts, shoot me a PM for a shipping address. I'd be more than willing to help you out, I know how short storage space can get.
If that becomes a problem, I'll make sure you are the first to know... besides my wife...
Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Ok thats good all the expensive parts are solid. Put it back together, make sure none of the screws are bent, and do as has been suggested with the tape and balance issues. One last thing is to check that the top plate is'nt the source of the tweak by checking it on a flat surface also.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Tech Master

Will do going over it again tonight and will check it out tomorrow. Thanks again everyone and will post more as available.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #20
Tech Master

I looked it over again, cannot find anything tweaked, ride height is good, strapping the battery in seemed to help a little, toe front and rear is good as well as camber, and I still seem to have a problem when turning to the right.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

What happened when you put it on the tweak board?

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Tech Master

If you can't find anything tweaked, all your springs are the same length right to left, the shocks are the same length, your droop is even, and your spring preload is even left to right, it's probably a weight balance issue.

What battery are you using?

The car is balanced alright with NiMH batteries, but still a little light on the battery side. If you're running a LiPo, it will be extremely light on the right side and will either traction roll in a right hand turn, or not turn at all turning right.

There's two small balance holes in the chassis at the center line just behind the center front bumper mount screw, and just forward of the rear bumper mount screw. Find something suitable to set the car on at those spots [I made some balance tools identical to the ones hudy makes], balance the car and turn loose. Whichever side falls is the heavy side. If the car stays balanced, you're good.

I can take pictures to demonstrate if it will help.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar81 View Post
I looked it over again, cannot find anything tweaked, ride height is good, strapping the battery in seemed to help a little, toe front and rear is good as well as camber, and I still seem to have a problem when turning to the right.
Have you checked the steering balance too? Do your circles and adjust the balance till they are the same size.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

This seems like a no-brainer but I have done this and had fits trying to figure out what the problem was, so this is the voice of experience talking Make sure you are using the same hingepin mount holes on the left and right side (in the bulkheads used to adjust antisquat/antidive). It is easy to do because those 3 adjusting holes are so close together. If you are only noticing the tweak with tires on the car this is something to check, but if the tweak is there with just the chassis flat on the board then it is something else. Have you stripped everything down to the bare chassis and laid it on a piece of glass or setup board to see if the chassis itself is warped?

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #25
Tech Master

I can't for the life of me figure this one out. I have swapped shocks off a car that doesn't do this as well as suspension parts, checked downstops, checked chassis and bulkheads for straightness, measured shocks, tried w/ batt. strap and without, checked ride height, camber and toe front and rear, rotated tires and tried others, steering radius is nearly dead even, arm mount positions. I do not have a tweak board at the moment, but I'm going to try and pick one up this weekend. I have not checked balance, how does the home brew method work? Also I will be using in all likelyhood a Maxamps 6500 pack, probably heavier than most. It just seems that when I'm turning that the front end just bites much more to the left typically coming out of corners on throttle bringing the back around. I have raised the ride height too high on the right rear corner and that seems to take care of it to some extent but my cornering suffers to the right then. I have tried all sorts of ride height and other adjustments (one at a time) and nothing beside taking the batt. strap off helps at all. Thanks for all your help and suggestions thus far.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #26
Tech Master

I'll get you some pictures of how to balance the FK'05 as well as other areas to look for potential problems today, maybe even how I do a quick tweak check without a tweak board. I don't have anything to do today besides verify and write down all my setup changes from yesterday's testing anyways, so I'll have everything set up.

Hopefully have pictures up this afternoon for you.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #27
Tech Master

That would be awesome, thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #28
Tech Master

Alrighty. First, the quick how-to for TC balancing.

First, you need something to balance the car on. Just about anything solid with a slender tip will work. I was bored at work and made these instead of spending $40 on the Hudy tools.

The T1'FK05 has two holes in the main chassis plate already for the purpose of balancing the car.

One in the front [kind of hard to see, but trust me it's there]:

And one in the rear:

Make sure your setup table is flat:

Put the car up on the stands, and it should balance flat. Look ma! No hands!

If the car will not balance flat, you'll have to add weight to the side left up in the air and try again.

Next post, tweak on the cheap.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #29
Tech Master

A tweak board is definitely worth the money for the precision and time savings it can offer. That said, I still don't have one

Anyways, on the FK, things to watch out for if you think the car is tweaked.

As mentioned earlier, the roll center mounts need extra attention, because the screw holes overlap, and it's easy to accidentally have something ALL wrong.

The front can be extra difficult to inspect.

While you're looking at the front of the car, make sure you're getting full steering both directions without binding. The steering knuckle arm should actually be able to touch the C-Hub at full steering with no bind.

On to the tweak.

Something to keep in mind is that you need to adjust the opposite end of the car that the tweak is showing up on initially. Weird but true.

So for this example, I added some tweak to my car for photo purposes by having some unbalanced front spring adjusters, doesn't take much. Before you start, make sure your droop and downstop settings are even and where you want them, they can also show tweak when there really isn't.

First, use something strong, but small in diameter to slowly lift the car at centerline to see which tire lifts first.

The left rear is lifting before the right rear, so we measure the front shock perches:

4.65mm on the LF, 4.48mm on the RF. Doesn't sound like much, but that's all it takes. Reset the front to the same, recheck ride height, and our tweak is gone.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #30
Tech Master

Thanks for the pics, I'm sure they will be quite helpful. I'm going to work on it later today but I won't be able to check out how its doing for a day or two as we have ice on the ground and we are still expecting snow.